Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Copilot Live 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Copilot Live 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a remarkably short period between Mr Burrows's last postings of the nature to which I allude and his announcement that he was joining ALK.

That is why I asked not only whether there was such a period after he joined ALK, but also whether there was one while he was considering their offer. Presumably, then, he gave them a very quick answer. If that is your assurance, then all I can do is accept it.

I hope, as I have said before, that the forum team takes the necessary lessons form all of this. For there can be no doubt that it is they who have brought on the questions about their independence, and that applies particularly to Mr Burrows - ALK job offer or no ALK job offer.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's interesting to see XXXXXXX is throwing his normal tantrums, touting the 'BIG CONSPIRACY' theories and using my name in vein several times more. If I lived in fear or had a disturbed nature than I would think that XXX had a personal grudge against me, or perhaps wanted to take a hit out on me. Luckily I have a sane mind and live in the real world, but I guess I ought to be either concerned for my safety or flattered the amount of times XXXX uses my name.

XXXX, do you happen to wake up in the middle of the night chanting my name and picking up that voodoo doll that you have on your bedside cabinet and stick a pin in it ? I'm utterly amazed how someone can have so much aggression towards me. You must really hate me!

PONDEROUS wrote:
Dave Burrows, now on the ALK staff and previously (?) of this forum, has invited users to report bugs in CP 5

You also forget that I am the founding member of PocketGPSWorld.com, the person who started PocketGPSWorld.com and was the Executive Editor for almost three years, without me you wouldn't be sitting here posting today in the forums! So you can thank me for that! ....and yet I haven't received any emails from you yet ?

Some people were originally invited onto the beta team, that's correct, and yes XXXX you were one of them. Why haven't you or other beta testers received anything to beta test ? The reason is quite simple and plausible, because there's nothing substantial to beta test at this stage.

Amongst a whole host of major projects I have running, one is to head up the new UK Beta Testing list and I will be re-drafting new NDA's over time and that will mean a new list of beta testers. Now these beta testers will be hand picked, some from the old list, some new ones but although XXXX and others here may have a lot of input, and I alone would certainly welcome constructive criticism, however, when you openly bring this publicly to the forums I have to also wonder on the flip side of the coin how much of a liability you will be in leaking information about the betas. And yes, I do have your phone number, and I was going to call you personally today but with your recent outbursts I decided to put that call on hold for another day. I am going to have to re-think who will be allowed to onwardly test.

It is possible to provide constructive criticism without being a liability and the new draft of Beta Testers will be contacted nearer the time, will be hand picked from a group of users who actively want to 'IMPROVE' CoPilot and not put it down at every corner or cross road by telling lies and conspiracy stories.

It is also policy within the software industry companies that run Beta Test Teams to give out final versions of the product to beta testers once they have successfully completed the beta testing.

PONDEROUS wrote:
Don't get too excited, Bazzer. I too was asked to be a beta tester some months ago. Having spent many hours writing descriptions of the problems and making suggestions, but refusing to refrain from airing them on the forums, I have been cut off and cannot get a call returned or any emails answered.

Have you ever thought of the reason why people may not be willing to return your calls ? When you publicly slate the people you talk to at ALK, why should they bend over backwards to help you when you're going to stick a knife in them and undermine the work they are carrying out on a daily basis. David has passed some of your later emails over to me to look at.

Now, like I've said before, I'm more than willing to receive emails as previously stated regarding any potential bugs that people believe they find and all problems are being collated and will be looked at and when a problem is verified it's logged and passed to the development team for actioning. Strangely enough though XXXX, I haven't received any from you ? Why is that ?
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who may not realise it, it was I who told David Quin (let's call him David Q) at ALK that my pseudonym on the forum is PONDEROUS. I would not want Mr Burrows, or Dave (Dave B) if he prefers, giving the impression that he worked it out for himself. Don't preach to me of leaks, Dave B: you have disclosed my name without permission.

As far as my own position is concerned, I had until today kept to myself all that David Q and ALK had said to me. Now, I confess, I have breached their confidence by revealing that I was invited to be a Beta tester. I am afraid I was left with no choice, having been left high and dry and treated with discourtesy over many, many weeks by David Q and ALK.

Do, please, realise that criticism on the forum without mentioning what ALK have said to me IS NOT a breach of confidence. It is an important point, and I invite you to ponder it!!

If David Q did not wish to communicate with me, then he should not have promised to do so, and he should have said that he had changed his mind. Equally, if it was a question of waiting for beta material to become available, then he should have said so. Simply ignoring my communications has brought this on, and deservedly so.

As far as what I have said is concerned, this is a clear case of saying how wonderful Copilot is, and not complaining at all, or else being treated in this way. Unfortunately, for example, David Q responds to requests, for example, for disclosure of combinations of "tweaks" that really will produce sensible routes - or a declaration that there is no such combination - by evading the issue and uttering slogans such as "Copilot is the Best Navigating Experience" (or similar - I haven't looked it up). This is not good enough, and I will say so whether he likes it or not

I have said it before to David Q, and I will say it now: ALK gives a fine impression of pretending that all is well and wanting to do nothing. You, Dave B, have given a very similar impression by making unjustifiable and inaccurate statements rather than realising that one really has to do one's homework if one wants to be taken seriously.

My repeated references to you, Dave B, and indeed to ALK's failings, are borne not of any hatred of you, but of a concern that we users are being taken for a ride. There is ample reason for us to think that way.

Having said all of this, I recognise that people and organisations can change. All I need is the evidence and I will enthuse about ALK and Copilot just as you have so long without it!!!! In fact, I'd really love to write to the forum and describe just how professional you have all become and how brilliant your new version of the product is.

By all means give me a ring if you would like. You will find me courteous, as I always am, but open and frank and expecting you to behave similarly. In fact, I would be pleased to try to get to know you.

I will, if you wish, test your software and report to you honestly - and keep confidences as I originally promised until you come to roll it out. However, if you, for example, charge customers money while waypoints tie a journey up in ever more twisted knots, there are still nonsensical concepts (such as 30% avoid motorways; 70% favour cyclepaths ...) etc. then I shall have no hesitation in saying so very clearly in stating that you were given the necessary information before you sold the product.

The choice is yours. I look forward to hearing your decision - one way or the other - and to hearing from David Q - again, one way or the other.

There is only one wy to achieve what you want, and that is to be straight whether Copilot is working well or not. If you are straight, then customers will help you get it working well and give you time to do so.

Just to answer your point that I have not sent you any emails about bugs, I have to say that I did not trust you to read them impartially and objectively. As I say, I would be delighted to corect that impression if it should prove appropriate.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, if you found out what PONDEROUS' real name was from ALK then to reveal it here is a breach of the Data Protection Act which ALK and yourself are bound by in the UK.

I can't see that revealing his name serves to further this discussion. We must not let this discussion descend into personal attacks, it doesn't serve any purpose. Crying or Very sad
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note Skippy's point about the Data Protection Act. Perhaps more important is that Dave breaks just about every ethical principle that one would expect to be observed by someone in his position. That should be no surprise given his track record on this forum.

However, today is the first day of the future for Dave and us all. As I keep saying, I will be only too pleased to congratulate him when he shows the necessary changes.

I shall shortly test Dave's commitment to taking faults seriously (I assume that is in fact what he has committed himself to), by sending him an email concerning some serious database deficiencies in CP 5. I shall also post the content of the email, and Dave and ALK's response, on this thread.

Yes, Dave, I know that you said you would not be replying to the emails. Alas, though your statement does not make your intentions right. They merely assist ALK in its apparent desire to keep quiet about the problems with CP 5 rather than to solve them and stand by the product and its users.

Hopefully Dave will realise that posting criticisms of CP 5 does not amount to leaking beta material on CP 6. Unfortunately, I would from past experience expect him to make such a misrepresentation. Let us see, though. I DO NOT mention this in order to attack Dave, but in order that he might at last see the problem.

I look forward to seeing Dave showcase "the new ALK" rather than replying with his usual disingenuous tirade. I also look forward to helping him do a good job in his new role - if he will let me.

In the meantime, Dave, please make it clear on your standard template, logo, etc. that you are not only a "technical evangelist", the forum's Founder Member, etc., but also an employee of ALK.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
I shall shortly test Dave's commitment to taking faults seriously (I assume that is in fact what he has committed himself to), by sending him an email concerning some serious database deficiencies in CP 5.

Like I have said since day 1, please send me any issues/bugs that YOU see. That's why I posted the original message. There's no hidden agenda here. I think if you re-read my original statement you'll find I also said that ALL issues will be investigated. I am trying to collate what users believe to be a full list of issues. I have already started to work my way through a list of emails that have already been sent to me and yes, I will be taking on this task myself. I have also just implemented a tool for UK Support to log bug reports and to be able to track these through to completion. However, I am responding to around 200 emails and phone calls a day and most of this is internal so with the present work load, I can't reply to messages on a daily basis regarding bugs, and it will take me time to re-create problems, run analysis tests to work out exactly if and where things are going wrong and whether it affects the engine or geodata which means it could be seen across all product versions. This then enables me to point the development team in the right direction which should help raise the odds dramatically on getting a fix posted, so like David (who is also extremely busy), what time I have available is very little. If I need further information in trying to duplicate the problem then I will request it.

What can you do to show the fault you are seeing ? If it's a routing issue, plan it on the desktop, save the trip and send me the .TRP file along with the desktop version and pocket pc/smartphone version you are running. If it's something you're seeing on the PPC or SmartPhone, send me screenshots and how to replicate the problem. Without this it can sometimes be near impossible to re-create the problem, and this maybe why in the past if anyone's reported complex problems that haven't been resolved. The problem needs to be successfully replicated to allow us to create a fix for it.

Like I have said before, personally I find CoPilot works very well, it's my only in-car system that I use now, that's how much faith I put into it and for the roads I travel on, it works very well for me and better than most products. There's nothing to beat local knowledge and if I have local knowledge then I could probably come up with a better route, but I can do that with every product on the market today.

If other's are seeing specific issues that I'm not, or issues that ALK are not, it doesn't mean they're not there and if you feel these aren't being fixed retrospectively then at the end of the day we want to know about these issues so they can be fixed. It's not in ALK's best interest to leave bugs in the system and most of the problems that we receive via the Support Desk are usually down to configuration issues. All software has bugs, my car came with over 300 listed faults from Vauxhall. We're all human and we all prefer to make products that are 100% perfect, but unfortunately in this day and life it's an impossible task. However, if there are bugs still in the system, they need to be eradicated, hence why I have requested everyone to send me problems. Hopefully an active beta team in the future will go a long way to picking some issues up quicker than they have been in the past.

AFAIK all the memory allocation errors have been resolved to date both on SmartPhone and Pocket PC. If you feel they haven't then please send me an email.

For anyone that doesn't know the position I hold, it's the Technical Support Manager for the European Technical Support Center. Amongst my roles are:-

- Managing and enhancing the Support Departments
- Building a larger Support Team across Europe
- Building an active Beta Test Team
- Checking and Reporting any bugs to developers
- Vigorously testing new internal releases
- Building an online community for CoPilot users

I have also recently had to take on most of the Product Manager's roles as well as internal networking, so this is why I have very little time to reply to emails.

I have taken it off my own back, in my own spare time to create a conduit between you guys and ALK to help escalate issues that you feel are not being resolved. If you want to attack me, or post my private responses to you publicly, then I'll close that conduit and you'll have to go back to the original communication methods. As in previous messages I am extending an olive branch. It's down to you if you want to take it and work with me to resolve any issues you see that you would like resolved. If you choose not to, that's you're prerogative at the end of the day. Just because I don't see a problem myself, doesn't mean it's not there, but if I can't see a problem and replicate a problem then I can't help get it fixed.

PONDEROUS wrote:
Hopefully Dave will realise that posting criticisms of CP 5 does not amount to leaking beta material on CP 6. Unfortunately, I would from past experience expect him to make such a misrepresentation. Let us see, though. I DO NOT mention this in order to attack Dave, but in order that he might at last see the problem.

I look forward to seeing Dave showcase "the new ALK" rather than replying with his usual disingenuous tirade. I also look forward to helping him do a good job in his new role - if he will let me.

I'm all for criticism's being posted and issues that aren't being resolved, but you have to realise the more you do so, the more it looks like you could be a liability if we were to give you access to the internal Beta Team. This isn't a threat, it's a proven fact. Please though, prove me wrong, earn my trust and show me that you won't be a liability and I'll let anyone that proves this to me on the beta team (but there will be only so many positions available, so I cannot guarantee that everyone will get on it). This isn't about covering anything up. You just have to see it from our side, if we let people who are consistently spouting off in public about how bad the software is onto an internal Beta Team, there's an extremely high chance that when we give you access you'll do the same thing and break NDA, which makes anyone doing this a liability. There has to be a two way trust here!

I am only one person, I cannot perform miracles, but I do try! And I hope you'll all agree that what has been created here with PocketGPSWorld.com was nothing short of a miracle. I want to personally enhance the whole support experience at ALK and make CoPilot an even better product. No product is perfect, that's why every company comes out with V2 or V3 the following year, because they feel they can improve upon the current/previous version(s). Sometimes it's by adding new features, sometimes it's resolving a long list of bugs, sometimes it's both.

Likewise, if anyone feels that you are talking to members of my support team and your problems are not being resolved over time, please let me know by sending me an email and I will investigate this myself.

150% of my time will be taken up in the next 4-6 weeks with two major projects to enhance the overall support experience. Support will get better over time, but this will mean that I will have even less time to analyse and test problems in the next 4-6 weeks, so if you don't see or here me, then this is the reason why. Personally I will try and find what time I can to look at any problems are sent to me, but that will probably mean spending evenings and weekends looking at your problems which is above and beyond the call of duty, but it's something that I will try to do where possible.

If you truly want to help then get in touch with me. The balls firmly in your court.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave. I am already on the beta team. I can't stop you removng me from it, and I am certainly not going to try. However, if you do then it certainly speaks volumes.

You spoke two posts ago of being in the real world. Perhaps you should think again about what that means and reappraise your approach.

By the way, much of the reason why it has been necessary to say so much is that what you have said has had to be corrected.

If you do want my hel, then you know where to find me.

Good luck.
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey 8O
Northernbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like I have said since day 1, please send me any issues/bugs that YOU see.

Dave I'm fed up of hearing these lines. I'm also fed up of just getting an unanswered call or spending hours on hold. I've tried on numerous occasions to get through to ALK tech support and failed - Since October last year I've had 2 responses (if you could call them that) from a guy called Sunil Mistry at ALK - neither of which was helpful - the first response took over 3 months :-

Quote:

Dear Mr XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I believe that we may not have responded to your e-mail from 29/10/04, for which I apologise.

Please can you advise if you are still experiencing difficulties?

Best regards,

Sunil Mistry

Customer Support
ALK Technologies Limited

I'm not blaming Sunil Mistry for any of the problems - at least he bothered to respond. even if it was over 3 months late

Here are MY problems for you

1 - POI reporting (i'm using the 5.0.1.48 upgrade from the ALK EU website) - it is still irregular and random at best although a definate improvement on 5.0.1.24 where i had to make a wrong turn at the start of every journey just to get any POI notification at all - with the new version often POI's get reported on an outbound trip and missed completely on the return leg down the same road.

2 - Routing favours motorways at every opportunity - often making vastly increased journey times unless you happen to be familiar with the area and can ignore the suggested routes.

3 - Live!! - I have never successfully managed to get the live side of Co-Pilot working and long since gave up trying - especially as Tech Support - Can't/Won't help or eve bother answering the phone.

I spent the thick end of £300 on my Co-Pilot 5 Live bundle including the bluetooth GPS. Now i hear/see rumours about a new version appearing before the current version works properly and it makes me so angry that i wasted so much hard earned money on such a poor product, made by a company that can't even be bothered to answer the phones - either that or they are inundated with calls for support directly caused by the shoddy software they are selling.

When are ALK going to make CP5 Live into the FULLY WORKING product that YOU reviewed and praised so highly?

When are ALK going to answer the phone/e-mails from me and the other users who take the time to try and get your product working?
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add, Northernbloke, that the motorway (and major road) bias to which you refer has been on the forum since last October.

The issue has been described in great detail on two major threads in which Dave Burrows has been involved - one he closed down because users would not accept his refusal to address the issue. Of course, we can now see the same sort of vengeance being sought by Dave in his desire to cut out beta testers who do not sing the company song.

Several users have posted example routes that prove the existence of the problem. I, for one, have sent an example trip file to ALK. Users have disproved Dave's claim that CP 5 can be "tweaked" to eliminate the problem (which, by the way, he simultaneously claimed did not exist, so which is it?!)

It is therefore a scandal that Dave has yet again sought to dismiss the issue by, only yesterday, claiming that complaints about it come about only because users know the local routes.

Reading a little closer into Dave's most recent posts on this thread, we see that in fact he believes that it is in order for ALK to abandon CP 5 and start selling CP 6. This, he justifies by saying that in producing CP 6, ALK may be:
Quote:
... adding new features, ... resolving a long list of bugs, [or] ... both.

One more message for Dave, while I am writing (as if it is ever going to be heard!). If your company produced a decent product and acted ethically and sensibly when faults occurred, then it would have nothing to fear from this forum or any other publicity. Your apparent inability to address the facts and obsession with secrecy does, I am afraid, appear to say it all.

Still, as I have said, Dave and ALK have yet another chance to make amends and CHANGE. Such chances are becoming fewer, however, as CP 6's roll-out date approaches!!! After that date, I fear it will be too late.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northernbloke wrote:
Dave I'm fed up of hearing these lines. I'm also fed up of just getting an unanswered call or spending hours on hold. I've tried on numerous occasions to get through to ALK tech support and failed - Since October last year I've had 2 responses (if you could call them that) from a guy called Sunil Mistry at ALK - neither of which was helpful - the first response took over 3 months :-

PM me your landline number you'll be available on in the day, and I'll give you a call. Failing that drop me your email address as a backup and let me know which Mobile Provider you're on and whether it's PAYG or Contract.

1) is down to your configuration
2) we're currently working on to enhance this
3) Live works extremely well and I use it every day. We also had 115 cars drive the Gumball Rally and being tracked Live on a per second basis across Western and Eastern Europe. If you're using a PPC then you need to make sure you have GPRS setup on your mobile tariff and configured correctly on the PPC. Easy way to test this is to run up Pocket IE and try to browse several websites. If you can do this then it's configured correctly, and you just don't have Live configured correctly.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ENHANCE?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Like I have said since day 1, please send me any issues/bugs that YOU see.

Sporadic lack of POI announcements
Sporadic lack of turn announcements
Hanging after recalculating routes several times
Unresponsive technical support
Traffic reporting functionality was promised 8 months ago but has never appeared
Track log doesn't always get saved
Serious routing problems when calculating the "Shortest" route (ignores minor roads in favour of major ones)
Serious routing problems calculating the "Quickest" route, ie:

London to Dublin (Routed hundreds of miles away via Scotland/Belfast when the quickest is via Holyhead)
Southampton to Hastings (Routed via the M25 when the quickest is via the south coast)
M40 Junction 9 to M3 Junction 9 (Routed via the M25 when the quickest is via the A34)

Given the number of problems with CoPilot 5, I don't think it's "Fit for Purpose" as required under UK consumer law. If ALK are working on a new v6 release then they should offer it as a free upgrade to CP5 users.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said earlier that I would post details of a CP 5 database problems for Dave's in order to test the new system he says he has introduced at ALK.

I have now made the post on a new thread entitled:

COPILOT 5 DATABASE DEFICIENCIES

To be fair, I must say that I became cautiously more optimistic when I saw Dave's response to Northernbloke (above a couple of posts). Although he could not seem to resist saying "enhance" rather than "fix", it appeared to be only a stone's throw from a frank reply.

The only reservation I have is that Dave might still be playing a game based upon the principle of divide and conquer - by being obliging to one user (Northernbloke) and ignoring another (me).

Let's see how he responds to this database problem, however.

If there is a satisfactory reply, then perhaps we can look forward to focusing on the workings of the product rather than the behaviour of the company.

Of course, there is also the need for no-cost upgrades for CP 5 users, as so clearly stated above by Skippy.
Northernbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very long (polite) pm sent to Dave with as much info as I could think of to include.

One thing I have found - which may have been mentioned elsewhere on the forum - i'll look later. The CP5 update to v 5.0.1.48 appears to have installed itself to the PPC internal storage, My initial install of CP5 (v5.0.1.24) was done onto my own SD card (not the one supplied with CP5), so I seem to have 2 different versions of CP5 installed in different locations?

Anyone else found this? any way of getting the update onto the card and out of the internal storage (without making things worse?)

Regards,

Northernbloke

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: