Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - western european map questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

western european map questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: western european map questions Reply with quote

Hello, I have a palm T3 with tomtom 3.

I can't get the european mobile version (given as a gift) to work with my palm and tomtom 3. I keep getting no map found, it looks like I could save paying approx. £100 if it can work - does anyone know how to?

Does the tomtom 3 maps of western europe work on both the pocket pc and palm? if so do you need to do anything different for the palm os?

Is it worth waiting for tomtom 5 to arrive before buying the european map software? Or will the tomtom 3 european maps work with tomtom 5 (it looks like you get an updated UK map with tomtom 5, will it also have any other updated maps)?

TIA
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot (at least not in any legal way) use TTM maps on the TomTom for Palm.

Map usage is tied to your device, so while maps may work on both devices you still need separate activations.

TomTom 5 will not work with v3 maps, it requires the new v5 maps.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ibe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. So if you have bought v3 european city maps then you will have to pay for v5 maps or will there be an upgrade path?

I appreciate v5 is not due for the palm until May but I am due to go to France in a few weeks and would ideally want to go with a detailed map. But would not want to buy v3 now and then an additipnal cost with v5. Surely people who have already spent £100+ should not expect to pay a further large cost to get v5 maps.

TIA

Ibe
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year when we paid for and updated from TT2 to TT3, the Western European maps were updated free of charge with the stanard GB Tomtom update. Let's hope it is the same for TT3 to TT5, otherwise I will not be updating!

Steve
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as we are informed TTN3 buyers are not eligible for a free map upgrade to TTN5 maps unless you have bought TTN3 after a certain date (was it March 1 2005?).

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Googlebot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked TomTom about the upgrade and the answer was that NO ONE would be getting a FREE upgrade on TT5 (maps or software). If you got it the day before TT5 was launched, hardluck, you'd still need to pay the upgrade!

If true, and I have heard this mentioned a fair few times on the boards here, NO ONE SHOULD BE BUYING TT3 at the moment!

I am off to France in a couple of weeks time and the new version wont be out before I go I dont think (could be out but could not be with me anyway). This means I cant buy the Euro street maps and I am going to have to look for a 'alternative method' to get them for the trip. Evil or Very Mad
Holux CR-100

Soon to be replaced with TT720 (maybe....)
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following item now appears on the Global Positioning Systems web-site under Navingator 3:

STOP PRESS: Upgrade path to TomTom Navigator 5

Customers who have purchased Navigator 3 since 1st March 2005 are entitled to a FREE* upgrade to Navigator 5.
Please Note: The date for standalone Navigator 5 software has not been announced yet.
(*) See www.tomtom.com.

Dave R
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention in my post...

I have emailed TomTom and asked them, as I'm going to Europe in June, would my best plan be to purchase TTN3 now and take advantage of their FREE upgrade to TTN5 for purchases after 1st March or wait until TTN5 is released on CD.

I let you know their reply.

Dave R
Googlebot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be intrested to hear the repkly but I expect it will say the same as mine.

i.e. Dont buy TT maps now as there will be no free upgrades.
Holux CR-100

Googlebot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exact wording from the email was ;

"There will not be a preferential upgrade cost availible for purchases made recently. The date of purchase does not influence the upgrade cost."

Sad
Holux CR-100

h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just received the following in an email from TT Technical Support:

Quote:
I would wait for the Navigator 5 to be relased as there will not be a free upgrade available . This has not been communicated to retailers and you will not see any offers of free upgrades on our website . The new software will be released in May .

So it seems you are write Googlebot and the information on Global Positioning Systems web-site in in fact incorrect. I have email GPS to ask them why they saying this on their site when it is not true.

The odd thing is the statement in TTs email to say that 'this has not been communicated to retailers' - WHY NOT - perhaps they just want them them to carrying on selling TTN3 knowing full well that they will not be prepared to upgrade it. Sounds like sharp practice to me.

David R
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

h5djr wrote:
Sounds like sharp practice to me.

David R

We are talking TomTom here!
Googlebot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure you are right.

If they told retailers that customers were going to have to pay for the upgrade that came out one week after they purchased it, would they sell any? I am sure this is being done to keep sales of TT3 going.

If everyone knew what was happening, would anyone pay, in effect, the price of the upgrade, to use TT3 for a week or two? I think not!

Never come across this before on PC software. So shame on TT for such a policy that will surely only annouy new customers.
Holux CR-100

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware TomTom have never said they would issue free upgrades to anyone. So you could argue that there is no need to let the retailers know. In fact I would be very suprised if they didnt know anyway. If I was a retailer the first question I would ask a distributor or the manufacturer would be "Are you offering free upgrades?" when ordering additional stock.

So you have to ask where the sharp practice is coming in.

On the other hand if we understand the way the upgrade will work if you buy TomTom 3 UK now you will have a chance to upgrade to TomTom 5 and also get the maps of Europe for a nominal sum which looks like it might be €59 judging by the price of the GO upgrade.
Googlebot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do undertsand that it is the retailers that are partly responsable, but as it sounds like TomTom have made the decision 'not to tell them' is reflects on them.

A 59 euro upgrade is a fair price and I have no complaints about that, could well of been more I think. However I am off in a couple of weeks time and dont really want to pay, what will be in effect, 59 euro for maps for the one week trip as they will be useless on my return when I upgrade to TT5 to get newer/better (I hope!) UK maps.

Could you run TT3 and TT5 on the same PPC (at different times)? i.e. TT5 for UK and TT3 for Europe.
Holux CR-100

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: