Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - cables for loox and emtac?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

cables for loox and emtac?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve_D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: cables for loox and emtac? Reply with quote

My loox is arriving tomorrow (yay!), a 512meg compact flash is on it's way from Hong Kong and I plan to get software and the emtac on the weekend. All in all a pretty expensive week!

Now to think of cables. What kind of cables will I need/get with the products? I assume I won't get a car charger with the loox and from what I can surmise from posts etc I might get one with the emtac.

I have never had a PDA before and the only thing I have every charged in the car is my phone (bluetooth as well, so I am going to be emitting all sorts of waves ;). Can anybody give me some advice as to what cables I will need/want.

I know you can use the ipaq charger but I doubt the loox will use the same connector.

I also have an iPod so may actually want a triple car socket thingy, does anyone make such a thing? (probably overkill as the ipod goes 10 hours).

Many thanks,

Steve
Steve_D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: cables for loox and emtac? Reply with quote

Once again I feel really stupid, posting and not doing enough research !!

I have found a 4 way car power socket on ebay so that answers one question.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

If you get the Socket version of the BT GPS you'll get an in-car charger with a Y adapter. This will come with an extra cable so that you can not only charge the Pocket PC but also the Emtac/Socket.

The only thing I'm not sure of is what the voltage of the Loox is, or what type of socket it has, most Pocket PC's have a rounded jack socket. You may just want to play it safe and go with a standard in-car charger for the loox.

I've purchased several 4-way sockets from Maplin. They come with 1m flex and work really well. Just enough cable to have them placed under the seat out of the way.
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

LOOX has the 5v "universal" power input (4.0/1.7 socket), the same as Ipaq, Toshiba, Emtac etc. So the Emtac charger is "suitable".

BUT we find that when the LOOX is connected to a car charger, the screen flickers. This happens to all our car chargers. The only reason we can think of is the internal interference of the LOOX.

Try the Emtac charger, if it works staisfactorily, then our Y power cable will come in handy for you to power both with one charger.

One thing you have to find out though. As Emtac requirement only low current (150-200mA), I am wondering whether the charger supplied is also of low output type. If it is, you will not be able to power other device as well as the Emtac. Check the output.
Eagle
Occasional Visitor

I use a Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox with an EMTAC BTGPS. To keep the Loox charged in the car I use Fujitsu Seimens Car/Truck/Air Charger especially made for the Loox. It works without any problem. Never seen the screen flicker once. The charger works on anything from 9 to 32v.
Steve_D
Occasional Visitor

Eagle,

have you tried to charge the emtac with the supplied ac power adapter for the loox? I have got the socket branded one and it didn't come with an ac adapter !! Don't see why i can't use the Loox one though.
Eagle
Occasional Visitor

Steve D

Yes I have used the Loox mains charger without any problems. I have also used the Loox Car/Truck/Air Charger. Again without problems

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: