Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Look What We Found In Amsterdam! A TomTom GO 300
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Look What We Found In Amsterdam! A TomTom GO 300
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
efthimios
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Eastern Europe Maps Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
This was a hard choice for us. You can imagine it can't you: On a bridge over the Singel two grown adults fighting over a small box (that doesnt exist yet Wink ).

I certainly came off worse as Darren not only walked off with the GO 300 but also the new BT GPS as well.Crying or Very sad

Looking on a brighter side though I have come away with all the latest TomTom maps, including Eastern Europe, but sadly not Australia, Hong Kong or Singapore.

I searched the tt site and I could not find any info about eastern european maps.
Are they producing such a product?
What about Greece?
Thanks for your replies.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gstenson wrote:
Yep I simply dont understand why they have not offered us a download facility. Would of been cheaper all round and offered TT a simpler method of distribution. This way I will have yet another SD card to gather dust. TTGOv5 was offered as a download why not TTMv5????

Primarily because TT Mobile v5 comes with the updated maps which adds over 100MB to any proposed download. I suspect also that piracy of maps was a consideration.
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
gstenson wrote:
Yep I simply dont understand why they have not offered us a download facility. Would of been cheaper all round and offered TT a simpler method of distribution. This way I will have yet another SD card to gather dust. TTGOv5 was offered as a download why not TTMv5????

Primarily because TT Mobile v5 comes with the updated maps which adds over 100MB to any proposed download. I suspect also that piracy of maps was a consideration.

100mb is not over large in todays ADSL world - it could at least be an option. If piracy is an issue I fail to see how simply only sending the software on a SD card will protect their asset - it didn't work with the existing version.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened with the previous version was that TomTom tried to lock the software to the TomTom GPS reciever, rather than use an activation system. The new software requires a product code so that the maps can be activated.

As for the download. 100Mb is not a lot if you have ADSL for one individual. Look at what happened to the TomTom website when the GO upgrade was made available as a download. The site crashed and that was with only a 5Mb file, imagine the effect that a download 20 times the size would have.

In addition to that I am assuming that you will get the Major Roads or Europe, which is another 80Mb, you will want the Postcode data, another 8Mb, and of course the application, and suddenly you are looking at a 200Mb download.
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair points but:

1) TT GO update was free
2) GO is more widely in use than TTM so will (probably) always get more hits
3) Why do you need a SD card based update rather than a download to facilitate activation over methods?
4) TT could deploy some more servers for these upgrades and it would still be cheaper than posting all these update by hand.
5) If you split the updates you dont have to download Major Road of Europe if you dont want to.

Just my 2p worth Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gstenson wrote:
Fair points but:

1) TT GO update was free

TomTom explained that the V5 upgrade was free for GO users because their (GO owners) current maps were compatible with V5 and would work following the application upgrade to V5.

Mobile and PocketPC version maps on the other hand were not compatible with V5. Therefore it was not possible to offer the application portion of the upgrade on its own to Mobile users and this will alsoapply to V3 PPC upgrades when available and so the decision was made to bundle the upgrad with the new maps which would be necessary to use V5.
samsul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered the upgrade for Totmom Mobile 5. The upgrade was for Nokia S60 series. Unfortunately I had my Nokia 6600 stolen over the weekend. Now I have decided to purchase a Nokia 9500. Can I still use the upgrade on the Nokia 9500?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
jayd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that they are sending the upgrades out on card doesn't bother me, but the fact my account has been debited for the £61 and I still may have to wait upto 5 weeks before I receive a product. This I find totally unacceptable.
Accounts shouldn't be debited until the Item is ready and as for their excuse about there payment systems being faulty or something then it hasn't stopped them taking the money so I don't buy this one bit. I'm very tempted to cancel but there doesn't seem to be an option for this.
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsul wrote:
I've ordered the upgrade for Totmom Mobile 5. The upgrade was for Nokia S60 series. Unfortunately I had my Nokia 6600 stolen over the weekend. Now I have decided to purchase a Nokia 9500. Can I still use the upgrade on the Nokia 9500?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

No, Nokia 9500 is a different Symbian OS, the Series 60 version will not run on this. I suggest you to contact TOmTom to change your upgrade order before they ship a version that you can't use.
samsul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that it would work. Besides, the existing software works on Nokia 6600 and Orange SPV E200 from same memory card, and I am fairly sure Nokia 6600 and SPV do not use same operating system.
samsul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent an email to Tomtom, asking if the upgrade was compatible with Nokia 9500 and if it wasn't to cancel my order. I got this response:

Thank you for your e-mail. The Nokia 9500 is not supported in the upgrade procedure. Unfortunately it is too late to cancel or change your order. Please contact us as soon as you receive your order so that we can organise a possible refund or other arrangement.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
Quote:

Just check on my orders on Tomtom Site, its still showing the status as 'Warehouse'.
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsul wrote:
I was under the impression that it would work. Besides, the existing software works on Nokia 6600 and Orange SPV E200 from same memory card, and I am fairly sure Nokia 6600 and SPV do not use same operating system.

That only worked because previous MOBILE version had 2 applications on the same card.
MOBILE 5 comes with only one application, that's why you have to specify your OS when ordering the upgrade
jayd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now TomTom are telling me that they have not received my money even though i have conmfirmed it with my bank that the payment came out on Friday at the exact time it shows on my order, what to do?? I'm totally disolussioned with this upgrade attempt and am now regretting going ahead with it.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Eastern Europe Maps Reply with quote

efthimios wrote:
I searched the tt site and I could not find any info about eastern european maps.
Are they producing such a product?
What about Greece?

If you go to the Tom Tom site and click on "Support" in the top bar the page that comes up has a list of "Top 5 FAQ" at the bottom of the page.

Click on "What's new in TomTomGO 5.00" and you will find a list of maps (scroll to the bottom of page). there you will find:

Go500 Eastern Europe contains the maximum-detail, fully-connected map of Poland, The Czech Republic, Turkey, Hungary, Greece, Slovakia, Russia, Baltic States, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia & Montenegro, Belarus, Moldavia, Ukraine, Macedonia and Albania, as well as the major road network of Western Europe.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed your earlier question.

Is there any particular road you want to locate?

Bear in mind that when TomTom or other providers quote "maximum detail fully connected" it doesnt mean that all roads are included, only that the maximum detail of roads that have been surveyed will be included. In some cases this will mean every road, in others it may mean just major roads

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: