Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SD Card versus MMC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SD Card versus MMC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinkrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: SD Card versus MMC Reply with quote

I have a Ipaq rz1710 toom tom navigator 2004 pack which I have now had for a couple of months. I have been using the Tom Tom software on a 512mb viking MMC card which i already had and was using previously in a Noki 6230 mobile. when I first got the Ipaq i had problems getting the MMC card to work in the IPAQ when running Tom Tom.

Everything copied across OK using a USB card writer but on inserting the card into the IPAQ and tryining to run tom tom an error appeared saying no maps found, although the maps were on the card.

Eventually I reformated the MMC in different ways FAT 32 normal fat on the PC also reformatted in the IPAQ and eventually all went OK ( more luck than judgement I think though )

Since then twice my IPAq has failed to load the software from this card, what happens is that when I try and run Tom Tom the terms and conditions screen appears when I accept them, No maps found error comes up again. The maps are ther when I explore the card out of the IPAQ though. After refromatting the card several times and copying the files across it eventually works again.

Has anyone any idea waht the problem is ?

Is it the MMC card that the IPAQ doesnt like ?
I can always use the original SD everytime first time , although it hasnt been left in the IPAQ permanantley as has the MMC !
Has anyone else tried using MMC instead of SD ?

I am prepared to purchase a new SD card if this will solve the relaibility problem ! What minimunsize do I need to have GB Maps plus France Maps and Saftey camera downloads and a couple of other custom POIs.
I dont want to spend more than is necessary on a card in case its my IPAQ thats at fault !

Are any particular makes of Crad more reliable than others as i know that is the case when using Cards in mobile phones !

Thanks for any advice

Rinkrat Sad
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

512MB will be more than adequate fro UK and France. Will leave someone else to answer your query about MMC - I have only used SD and CF
Robin

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: