Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pretec BluetoothGPS set-up problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pretec BluetoothGPS set-up problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesCo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Pretec BluetoothGPS set-up problems Reply with quote

I've just acquired a Pretec BluetoothGPS and I'm having trouble connecting it to my PC. I'm using a SMART USB bluetooth adaptor which seems to be working OK - when I do a search for devices it finds the BluetoothGPS and the serial port service is offered. The BluetoothGPS receiver gets a satellite fix OK but when I open the BluetoothGPS software and try to make a connection to the PC it fails. I've tried changing the COM port but that makes no diference.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong!?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the serial port service is offered, do you subscribe to it? Does the PC create two new COM ports? They should be visible under "Clients" Use the Outgoing serial port, and use NMEA 38400 as the setting.

Beware: Plugging the USB BT dongle into a different USB port on your PC will create another pair of COM ports with different numbers.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
LesCo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: BluetoothGPS - more questions! Reply with quote

Hi Lutz - Thanks for the reply! I think I'm a little out of my depth here- how do I go about 'subscribing' to a service?

The software that came with the Bluetooth dongle creates one new COM port - #6, a USB Transport driver and a Bluetooth PAN Driver.

I may be naiive here but do I have to have some mapping software up and running before the BluetoothGPS can make a connection? - I don't have any yet - I just wanted to see if the hardware was working before I spent any more money!!

Les Cockburn
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need any GPS software - worst case you can even acess the receiver through Hyperterminal.

Your BT software sounds very limited, maybe it even does not have the functionality required for GPS (Outgoing Serial Port). What's the version?

If you are on Windows XP SP2 you can try to use the built in Bluetooth software instead - it does support the outgoing serial port.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LesCo

Do a google on GPSInfo - it is a freebie and tends to work quite well most of the time.

There is also something called GPSU (GPS Utilities?) which has a free version which doubles up as a registered version (with more functionality) for 25 of your earthling £s

GPS Info will let you observe sat fixes on a PPC and maybe even PC for all I know. GPSU works on a PC.

My Pretec GPS bluetooth (the one with datalogging) is fantastic - a great piece of kit.

And here is what I do to BT between 'pooter and GPS device:
1 - activate the GPS receiver

2 - activate the dongle

3 - right-click on the BT icon in system tray (color changed from Blue & Red to Blue & White)

4 - choose quicklink to the receiver (previously set up)

5 - observe the onscreen notice advising of associated com port

6 - start GPS software

7 - connect to device within the software (usually a pretty clear option) and make sure that the correct com port has been chosen

The above usually works most of the time

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: