Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help - Newbie with e740 - recommendations?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help - Newbie with e740 - recommendations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cannibal869
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Help - Newbie with e740 - recommendations? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm totally new to the GPS thing. I have a Toshiba e740 (courtesy of work) which I actually don't use all that much anymore, so I wanted to turn it into a GPS module. What I'm looking for are economical solutions...

I want a mouse-type GPS to be used primarily in-car with a Y-connector so I can power the e740 at the same time. It would be nice if I could just plug it directly into the sync port.. I'm looking at the Pharos system mainly cause it's cheap, but I've read reviews that the software kinda sucks and the maps aren't all that accurate. I've also looked at the SpaceMachine PocketMap navigator, but again, there were some lukewarm reviews.

Can this receiver be used easily with other software (i.e. TomTom, CoPilot, etc.)??? Second question - does it really matter what receiver I get (in terms of being able to work with different programs)?? Is it easy to switch from one navigation program to another???

What other antennas do you guys recommend - I'd like to stay somewhere around the $100 price point (for the antenna) and please keep in mind that I'll be using this primarily in New York and San Francisco (please excuse my American barbarism and ignorance Wink )

Also, as for software, are there any frontrunners? Is there a list of preferred programs somewhere? I read the reviews and comparison articles, but again, I've never used a GPS before on a pocket pc, so I don't really know what to expect...

Thank you everyone for any advice or recommendations!
-Chris
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the e740 is not a good Pocket PC for navigation. You need a special adapter cable to connect it to a serial GPS receiver, for example here

http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=111144

Once you have the receiver connected and working this will allow you to use pretty much any navigation software. OnCourse, CoPilot, Mapopolis, TomTom, PrymeNav etc etc.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
cannibal869
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I just buy the antenna (assuming I already have TomTom), what connector do I want? Is it serial connector??
cannibal869
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of the AQMAX-300 antenna??

Found a cheapo auction here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5765984722&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Don't see any reviews on it yet... It does however have the PS2 adapter into the serial cable that can work with my e740...

I guess I could always just go with the Holux 211 also and do a USB->PS2->serial adapter??

Again, any help at all would be most appreciated...
-C
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot simply use any USB>PS/2 cable. It has to be a very special cable, and it probably also requires a driver. Having said that, the ebay offering seems to include that special cable. The receiver seems to be ok.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: