Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SmartSTv3 PalmOS - BUG
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SmartSTv3 PalmOS - BUG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dununda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: SmartSTv3 PalmOS - BUG Reply with quote

I have been using SmartST v3 for Palm for several weeks now. I have version 3.00.2004 which was the latest update that supposably fixed several things including issues with POIs. There is still a bug in it as far as I can tell.

If I select:
Main Menu > Destination > POI > Category > Automotive Facilities > Type
Search result work correctly, deriving POIs that match selected TYPE.

However if I do the same thing via another method - select:
Main Menu > Map > Tap on map > Select "Nearest POI" > Category > Automotive Facilities > Type
Search results are incorrect and are position shifted by one TYPE. ie Car Dealer = Parking, Parking = Petrol, petrol = rent a car etc.

I am guessing Navman fixed this POI search error from the Destination screen and overlooked the tap on map method which is the one users would be more likely to use. Anyway - If Navman programmer types read this group please take a look and fix this up if it is indeed a bug.

I have been using a BT77 GPS connected to my palm T3. I have been getting frustrated that the NAVMAN SmartSt3 Map kept jumping about, placing me off the route on adjacent streets when I was actually on the route. I think I have tracked this to bad siting of my GPS unit. Sitting on the dashboard, it was only seeing the sky in front of the vehicle. Also the windscreen has some sort of coating. In particular any road with a hairpin bend invariably resulted in a "Perform U turn if possible" command after rounding the bend. I have now taped the GPS to the cars sunroof and it appears to markedly better. GPS and actual position seem to be much better now and it is not jumping off and on the route all the time. Interestingly, I have attached the unit upside down (so I can access the switch and LEDs) which places the battery between the device and the satellites and it still works better in this configuration than it did on the dashboard.
dununda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I have now decided that the "Perform U turn if possible" command occuring after hairpins is a legacy fo a BT connection and the latency therin. If I slow down to a crawl going around the bend it handles it OK. Any faaster and it senses the reversen in direction before rounding the bend and sets of back down the road I just travelled. Probably would not occur with a wired GPS. Still, Siting the GPS unit on the roof has vastly improved reception and position accuracy for me.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: