Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New 9537 - Cannot get GPS signal, I think! - Only solid blue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New 9537 - Cannot get GPS signal, I think! - Only solid blue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidpfitz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: New 9537 - Cannot get GPS signal, I think! - Only solid blue Reply with quote

I'm trying to set up TomTOm mobile with my Leadatek 9537 GPS. I've managed to pair the GPS unit with the C500, did all the serial port config etc. The blue light is solid - I think this means they are connected properly.

However, the green light on the unit does nothing (except flash once when I turn it on). This happens whether I am inside or stnading on the footpath.

TomTom say "The GPS signal was lost x:xx min ago".

Am I doing something wrong? How can I get this working?

Thanks for any help you can give!

David.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you do everything right. The green light will start to flash once it has a fix.

Does TomTom tell you if there any sats in view ? If so then you just need to be more patiently wait for the first fix. If not then you will have to verify if the receiver sends any NMEA sequences or not (maybe it's accidentially set to SiRF)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
davidpfitz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would TomTom tell me if satellites are in view? (TomTom Mobile 4)

I tried walking up and down the road with the phone and the GPS unit to see if I could get a signal. Took me about 3 or 4 minutes. There are buildings either side of the road, but I can't imagine that's a problem. The green light doesn't blink, stay solid or do anything beyond flash once when I hold the power button.

How do I check it it in SiRF mode, or NMEA? I only have bluetooth on my smartphone!

Is there a way to factory reset it to be sure it's in NMEA mode?

David.
hanoudi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say that but your GPS is defective...... i have one that used to work...the grean light should always blink.......mine died after 2 months of use and i started getting exactly what you are getting with your GPS.

check this thread>> http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17472

I really hope you live in Europe as leadtek warranty in north america sucks big time. check this>>>>> http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17504
davidpfitz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, that is so annoying. So, it shoud blink green all the time? Even if it is not paired with the C500 phone? The green light never does anything at all, paired or not. (Except flash once briefly when I turn it on or off).

I am in Europe ... but they'll just want to send it back to Taiwan I imagine - it was shipped from there when I purchased it.
FrenchDude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I had exactly the same problem until this morning when I finally solved it.

I did receive my Leadtek 9537 yesterday, and while I was able to establish the Bluetooth connection, the GPS was not able to inialize correctly.

I resolved the problem when I paired the PDA and the GPS. Basically, in the Bluetooth manager, the device was showing correctly and I was able to connect to it.

But I believe that, because I did not pair them with the 0000 pin code, the GPS was ignoring the Reset commands I was sending to it.

So, in the Blutooth Manager, I used Tools then Associated Devices (not sure of the translation: my PDA is in French). Then, I click on add. The new dialog box shows Device and Keypass. To select the device, I click on the magnifier, then I select the "Leadtek Bluetooth GPS" item (which by the way does not have the red check mark on its icon). Then, I used the 0000 keypass.

Then, I switch to the WinFast Navigator and sent a "Cold start" command.

And suddenly it started working fine.

Basically, it behaved as if it was ignoring the reset commands until the pairing was establish.

ANyway, I hope this will help you guys.
hanoudi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrenchDude wrote:
Hello everyone,

I had exactly the same problem until this morning when I finally solved it.

I did receive my Leadtek 9537 yesterday, and while I was able to establish the Bluetooth connection, the GPS was not able to inialize correctly.

I resolved the problem when I paired the PDA and the GPS. Basically, in the Bluetooth manager, the device was showing correctly and I was able to connect to it.

But I believe that, because I did not pair them with the 0000 pin code, the GPS was ignoring the Reset commands I was sending to it.

So, in the Blutooth Manager, I used Tools then Associated Devices (not sure of the translation: my PDA is in French). Then, I click on add. The new dialog box shows Device and Keypass. To select the device, I click on the magnifier, then I select the "Leadtek Bluetooth GPS" item (which by the way does not have the red check mark on its icon). Then, I used the 0000 keypass.

Then, I switch to the WinFast Navigator and sent a "Cold start" command.

And suddenly it started working fine.

Basically, it behaved as if it was ignoring the reset commands until the pairing was establish.

ANyway, I hope this will help you guys.

I did all that but all faild....when I sent it back to Leadtek they said the internal Antenna is no go.

So I guess yours is different.
hanoudi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidpfitz wrote:
Damn, that is so annoying. So, it shoud blink green all the time? Even if it is not paired with the C500 phone? The green light never does anything at all, paired or not. (Except flash once briefly when I turn it on or off).

I am in Europe ... but they'll just want to send it back to Taiwan I imagine - it was shipped from there when I purchased it.

Yes David, the green should flash all the time (or at least this is how my GPS was doing when it was working).
davidpfitz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. it's clearly knackered then. last time i buy a leadtek product. warrany fiasco begins ... it sounds that this is not that uncommon - shoddy quality produce.

Thanks for all your help - I couldn't have worked it without you all.

D.
Vic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Steer clear of the Leadtek 9537! Reply with quote

David, it sounds like it's another case (4 in 2 weeks on here) of exactly the same fault as linked to in my thread earlier. If you go back to that http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=96180#96180 you'll see I've got it working using an external antenna and have probably located the internal fault.

THIS IS BECOMING AN EXTREMELY COMMON FAULT ON THE LEADTEK 9537! Anyone else thinking of buying this unit, beware! Steer well clear is my advice.

To add to this, it seems that Leadtek's support is all but useless (I wonder why any queries about the 9537 are unanswered!?) which is why I'm attempting to go it alone and fix the unit myself!

Vic
davidpfitz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Thanks for all the help ... Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help everyone ...

The end result is that I have sent the unit back to the original vendor who is to ship me out a new one. No guarentees this one won't kick the bucket after a few months, though.

I think the above advice to stick clear of the Leadtek 9537 (and other rebranded versions) is sound advice. I would not buy the same one again.

BTW - I emailed Leadtek about it. They weren't interested enough to reply.

David.
Vic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, when the Leadtek is working It's a superb device and mine is working perfectly well now with an external antenna. The weakness is the suceptibility of the thing to static which pops the internal aerial's amplifier.

When you get your replacement David, carry and use it inside an ESD bag is the best advice that I can give.

Vic
davidpfitz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will buy an external antenna for myself for the unit ... it can't hurt in any case. I assume it helps in patchy signal areas with foliage etc!

Thanks for the help!

David.
hanoudi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIC, is the Antenna sits inside or outside of the car? if outside then how do you run the wire? please don't tell me through the window Smile
Vic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine sits inside on the dashboard at the screen edge. Its pretty inconspicuous being about 30mm square. The cables on these antennas are usually long enough for you to sit the antenna on the rear parcel shelf if your front screen has a coating that may restrict the signal. Obviously the more clear sky that the aerial can see, the more sats that will be locked.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: