Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety camera overlay for New Zealand maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety camera overlay for New Zealand maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2TURBOS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Safety camera overlay for New Zealand maps? Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone out there does a Speed camera or other POI overlay that you can add to the Navman map of NZ?

(SmartST V 3.0)

Regards,

2 Smile
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety camera overlay for New Zealand maps? Reply with quote

2TURBOS wrote:
Just wondering if anyone out there does a Speed camera or other POI overlay that you can add to the Navman map of NZ?

Hello and Welcome

Last time I was in NZ, there were only a few dozen fixed speed cameras, are there more now? You can find the locations of the cameras on the net and it wouldn't be too hard to mark their positions.

I don't think the fixed speed cameras are such a problem though, it's the cleverly hidden mobile cameras and unmarked police patrols which are the ones to watch out for. :x

You might be better to get a good RADAR detector, but be aware that the police have copped on to this now and switch their RADAR off so they are very difficult to detect.
nickywicky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety camera overlay for New Zealand maps? Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
2TURBOS wrote:

Hello and Welcome

Last time I was in NZ, there were only a few dozen fixed speed cameras, are there more now? You can find the locations of the cameras on the net and it wouldn't be too hard to mark their positions.

I don't think the fixed speed cameras are such a problem though, it's the cleverly hidden mobile cameras and unmarked police patrols which are the ones to watch out for. :x

You might be better to get a good RADAR detector, but be aware that the police have copped on to this now and switch their RADAR off so they are very difficult to detect.

This is very interesting to me because I'm a complete newbie and trying to decide between NAVMAN and Goldfinger (only options for NZ). One of the advantages of Goldfinger is that it has the POI's of all the fixed speed cameras.

I have just found a file with all the list of the fixed speed cameras for New Zealand. There were only about 50. They all had GPS co-ordinates (like S 36.80911 E 174.70831). So is it possible with the NAVMAN system to create your own POI's with this information ? If so I'll go for NAVMAN straight away as 50 odd entries wouldn't take long.
2TURBOS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, Also interested... But sadly don't know the answer!

nickywicky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just created a POI file of NZ fixed speed cameras suitable
for NAVMAN.

What I did was download the Ausi version of the same thing to see what the file looked like. It was just a text file with the coordinates on each line.

I had all the info (bar 3 cameras) on all the NZ fixed speed cameras, and went through line by line editing the NZ data in.

I'm such a newbie though I don't even have NAVMAN yet. ( But will be ordering it from somewhere soon. ) So 2Turbos, do you want to try out this POI speed camera overlay ? ( I presume you are in NZ somewhere.)

(not sure how to upload files to a forum ?)
2TURBOS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love to try it out!

If you want pm me & then you could just e-mail them.

Regards,

2. Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: