Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Streetpilot III
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Streetpilot III

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Streetpilot III Reply with quote

I still have the European City Navigator V6 maps in my Streetpilot III.

I was listening to the item on BBC Radio 4's You and Yours today about Sat Nav systems in cars and it got me wondering about mine.

How much better are maps on V7 compared to V6? It seems a lot of money to do the upgrade so I can't see that I will bother. From what I can see you have to buy at the full price.

Are any of the competing units better at choosing routes. The GARMIN seems incapable of distinguishing between a farm track and a proper dual-carriage way road, it just looks for the shortest route even when "fastest" is selected. It is very useful but you can't trust it because of the poor routing and errors on the maps. The stories on You and Yours sounded all too familiar!

MB
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: I still have the European City Navigator V6 maps Reply with quote

Hi in answer to your question....I have a Garmin 2610 with V7 upgrade and i personaly would not swap it for ANY of the others (i used to have a SP 111) my own view is that the mapping is superb, having said that i have also owned a tomtom go and a navman 510 (all of wich were faulty and with there own software problems) like telling me to do a uturn on the M6 for example..(and with the exeption of the tom tom which always defaulted to the longest way round..The 2610 with V7 software will always take me the way i would "normally go" and the SP11 should be the same of wich of course there are the options, having said that the garmin can take a bit of getting used to ...also the garmin offer the choice of working your own route out on the pc and then downloading it to the unit which none of the other units support, having said that you can go by any pre-planed rout you choose providing you plan it in advance,,i had to go to 2 addresses in Orby Lincolnshire 2 weeks ago and it took me within 10 yards of there doorstep just to name but a few - (and i am in Coventry) so yep i think that the software on V7 is spot on..having said that no software will be bang up to date as they ar building roads all the time..hope this helps. Regards.
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have read, the tomtom and garmin both have the basic route planning options of shortest or fastest.

The Navman Icn510 allows the user to express a preference for different road types. However, if you read the Navman forums, you will see many posts relating to routing errors, possibly due to issues with the teleatlas maps.

I suppose in an ideal situation, we would have the navmans routing options, with navtech maps.

I used to have a streetpilotIII, now have a garmin C320. From a routing point of view I am generally happy. I must admit, I have on occasion ended up down farm tracks, but it is better than being lost Wink

Personally I wouldnt consider a navman/tomtom unless they started using navtech maps.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree,

I've owned a StreetpilotPIII, Garmin GPS V and a Navigon system all of which use Navteq data.

Just bought a TTGO 700 with Teleatlas data.

The Teleatlas data is inferior to Navteq - it's usable but the quality just isn't there.

IMHO the Garmin units are fantastic and I wouldn't worry too much about the latest data unless you're using it a lot - I'm still using my SPIII from time to time on V5 and it works fine 90%of the time - you just have to accept some of the newer roads won't be there unless you upgrade the maps.

Chris
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Garmin Streetpilot III; Garmin Streetpilot C320 Reply with quote

Yes but in answer to your reply about the garmin routing you down an incorrect road ie "farm track".....If you look at the screen in the bottom right hand corner before you make your turn it gives you a "count down" in feet before you make your turn (providing it is activated) at least it does on the SP111 and the 2610 so if you take note of the "count down" it is impossible to make an incorect turn, I agree that if you have 2 roads very close together it can get a bit confusing....but i personaly have always used the count-down (in feet method and its never directed me down a wrong road yet.
mb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Streetpilot III; Garmin Streetpilot C320 Reply with quote

ferret79 wrote:
Yes but in answer to your reply about the garmin routing you down an incorrect road ie "farm track".....If you look at the screen in the bottom right hand corner before you make your turn it gives you a "count down" in feet before you make your turn (providing it is activated) at least it does on the SP111 and the 2610 so if you take note of the "count down" it is impossible to make an incorect turn, I agree that if you have 2 roads very close together it can get a bit confusing....but i personaly have always used the count-down (in feet method and its never directed me down a wrong road yet.

But if it has chosen a route using a farm track then it has ignored other potentially quicker routes. Apart from that youthen have to find somewhere to stop to decide which way to go which is potentially hazardous on a busy road and wastes time.

Yesterday I came to a crossroads with the GARMIN telling me to go straight across. The road ahead was signposted as no through road and did not seem to be shown in my road atlas. I did not get the 1:50000 map out suspect there was some sort of track that continued over teh hills for several miles.

The most common annoyance is where the road goes right and the GARMIN does not warn you because it retains the same road number.

MB
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Streetpilot III Reply with quote

mb wrote:
The GARMIN seems incapable of distinguishing between a farm track and a proper dual-carriage way road, it just looks for the shortest route even when "fastest" is selected. It is very useful but you can't trust it because of the poor routing and errors on the maps.

Newer units give the option to "Avoid unpaved roads" which stops it sending you down farm tracks. Yes, my old GPS-V did that a couple of times. And it was a farm track complete with gates. :x

Garmin's are actually pretty good from what I have seen of other satnav systems. None of them are perfect and you will always get map errors. You just have to choose the most likely looking road when it asks you to make an impossible/illegal turn and then let it recalculate a new route.
mb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Streetpilot III Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
mb wrote:
The GARMIN seems incapable of distinguishing between a farm track and a proper dual-carriage way road, it just looks for the shortest route even when "fastest" is selected. It is very useful but you can't trust it because of the poor routing and errors on the maps.

Newer units give the option to "Avoid unpaved roads" which stops it sending you down farm tracks. Yes, my old GPS-V did that a couple of times. And it was a farm track complete with gates. :x

Garmin's are actually pretty good from what I have seen of other satnav systems. None of them are perfect and you will always get map errors. You just have to choose the most likely looking road when it asks you to make an impossible/illegal turn and then let it recalculate a new route.

I find it hard to imagine why a satellite navigation system that is sold mainly for use in cars in countries like the UK should choose routes using unpaved roads by default.

A few will be sold where there are no other roads bu there is a "offroad" option anyway. But the majority of users will want real surfaced roads. It sounds more like a mistake by the people writing the softeware or doing the mapping.

MB
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Offroad' option that Garmin offers is 'point to point' navigation which doesn't lock onto roads at all.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Streetpilot III Reply with quote

mb wrote:
A few will be sold where there are no other roads bu there is a "offroad" option anyway.

I use the "off road" option fairly often when walking. It's useful to mark the location of your car in a big carpark (eg Airport longterm parking) so you can find your way back easily.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: