Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Fortuna Slim BT GPS - SiRF star III/Xtrac...Wossat then?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Fortuna Slim BT GPS - SiRF star III/Xtrac...Wossat then?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genghisackroyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: New Fortuna Slim BT GPS - SiRF star III/Xtrac...Wossat then? Reply with quote

After hearing about the new Fortuna Slim BT GPS with SiRF star III/Xtrac I assume that it will be more accurate than the Clip-on on ST mode.

I would like to ask if the 'III' means Xtrac accuracy at ST speed, if not whats the difference.

BTW It seems from looking at the fortuna website that the Slim doesn't have switching mode so as I'm looking for a one-does-all GPS (mountainbiking/walking & Car) will this one do or should I just get the Clip-on?

Ta
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it (which doesn't mean much) the new chipset has a radically different approach at acquiring signals. Instead of sequential (one after the other) it does lock to the sats in parallel mode. This should lead to dramatically reduced TTFF times.

We'll be testing some SiRF III receivers soon, so you can expect a review some time later this month.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
genghisackroyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,

I found your page [url]http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=AvantGo&file=print&sid=533] [/url] on the Globalsat BT-338 SiRF star III but no UK site lists it yet.

I have just sold my CF GPS card and am looking to replace with a BT one and need one this week - so is it worth shipping it over from abroad?

I would also like to know if the 20 satellite lock that it can use willl actually be available to TomTom?

Thanks
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you will get one this week. Officially they will start shipping beginning of april. But you never know, maybe some shops have it - they also go under the name Navilock etc.

the 20 channels is half marketing trick and half revolutionary change in the way signals are processed. It's true that you cannot see more than 12 sats most of the time when you are in the open field, but as soon as you are moving in urban canyons you get lots of reflections and secondary paths. This is where the 20 channels come into play - they can collect the original signal and the reflections independently and use both for calculation.

So far for the theory. We just started the testing, and will be able to put up a review soon to confirm or reject this theory. So far it looks pretty good.

But (and there is always a but) in the factory settings SiRF III is not suitable for walking mode. It has the same position freezing as XTrac, and you need to reprogram the SiRF III chipset to compensate that - not something for the faint at heart...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
genghisackroyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,

Thanks for that - I'll keep my eyes open for your review but will probably get the Fortuna Clip-on for now (I want one for Mountainbiking and Car Navigation), and maybe treat myself later on in the year (Rule one: NEVER buy the first of anything - let someone else cope with the teething troubles).

Cheers

Chris Laughing
shotton_axeman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received my Fortuna Slim this am here in the UK.........finally! Got it on an express delivery from www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk from their first delivery, I'd been waiting too long to wait any longer :P

I'm away over the weekend to do some testing, will let you know if SiRF Star III is as good as I'd hoped! :D
richie14771
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pocket GPS World People. :D

I have just joined the ranks and wondered if anyone could help me in my moment of desperation.

I recently obtained the GlobalSat BT-333 SiRF Star III Bluetooth GPS. :D I loaded the software onto my HP iPaq 6340 Pocket PC :D and followed the instructions to load the Device through the iPaq Wireless Bluetooth Manager which all went according to the plan.

When I tried to activate the GPS through my Sat Nav Programme, TOMTOM Navigator 3.00 (402) I am getting no response at all Crying or Very sad Question .

Is there anyone out there that can give me a step by step answer to the problem. Confused

I am only a novice in this game but did not think it would be this complicated. Rolling Eyes

Someone must have the answer 8O . PLEASE HELP Exclamation Exclamation
aliendad
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shotton_axeman wrote:
Just received my Fortuna Slim this am here in the UK.........finally! Got it on an express delivery from www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk from their first delivery, I'd been waiting too long to wait any longer :P

I'm away over the weekend to do some testing, will let you know if SiRF Star III is as good as I'd hoped! :D

am thinking of getting the new fortuna slim,

can you let me know what you think of the unit,

thanks

ps will be using with tomtom mobile 5
madhatter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my fortuna slim and using it with tt5 never get less than 7 sat locks. My old haicom cf303mmf used to average 4 /5 over the same route.
gray52
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive just got a slim-line, and im glad i paid the extra over the clip-on. its realy small and takes a nokia style battery. this was the deciding factor for me, as i didnt fancy pay £50or so for a replacement tom tom battery, then run the risk of a discontinued item, and a gps thats no longer usable.

got mine from digidave on ebay, £108 delivered.

im running ttm5 on my nokia 6630, i just turned it on connected via bluetooth, run ttm5 and worked straight away.

it uses the same chip set as the tom tom unit so i didnt expect any problems. just connect using other bluetooth device.

i get a good signal in the house and ive never lost a signal yet, and best of all works in the car with a heat reflective screen and in the glove box as well. i would rate it 10/10, and you even get a magnetic stick on base, so with wont fly around in the car. i will be using this for other things as well. im well pleased :D
aliendad
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to you and madhatter, mine is on it's way to me now :D
aliendad
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it arrived and was setup and working with my 6600 within a very short time, even straight out of the box had 7/8 satellites within about 5 minutes

very pleased.
Tweak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Fortuna Slim and TTN5 on IPAQ 5450 Reply with quote

I'm having real problems getting TTN5 to work with my Fortuna Slim. I can connect it and everything - blue LED flashing. I even get the black and yellow circle revolving in TTN5 but TTN5 still says there is no GPS... Help!!
aliendad
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry don't use a pda any more, but sounds to me that the bluetooth settings of the pda are not correct, also try putting the slim in a place with a good view of the sky, and see if the middle led changes from red to green, this will show to start with if the slim is gettinga fix.
robsipaq
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gray52"]ive just got a slim-line, and im glad i paid the extra over the clip-on. its realy small and takes a nokia style battery. this was the deciding factor for me, as i didnt fancy pay £50or so for a replacement tom tom battery, then run the risk of a discontinued item, and a gps thats no longer usable.
im running ttm5 on my nokia 6630, i just turned it on connected via bluetooth, run ttm5 and worked straight away.

I also use the same unit (Fortuna Slim BT/ HP 4510)- no problems once I discovered that you must use the "other Cable nmea gps" !
BUT I see that the battery is the same as the "Clip On" Fortuna unit ie a AE-8210 unit which is now being recalled as possibly dangerous!
What is the "Nokia style battery" replacement ??? It LOOKS like an NP60 - but is not quite the same....
Anyone have the latest information on this recall - and does it apply to the "Slim" GPS or have they changed their charging circuits ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: