Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom avoid motorways
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom avoid motorways

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: tomtom avoid motorways Reply with quote

Has TomTom 3 got an option to avoid motorways, ive found avoid area - but it would be handy if i could tell it to just plan the route without going near the m'way sometimes!

Cheers
Mark
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom avoid motorways Reply with quote

arc wrote:
Has TomTom 3 got an option to avoid motorways, ive found avoid area - but it would be handy if i could tell it to just plan the route without going near the m'way sometimes!

Cheers
Mark

Try setting the motorway speed to zero: File / Properties/advanced/preferred speeds
Dave
arc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, i tried that and it took it ages to plan a 100mile trip.

can it avoid POI's - and then just set a load of POI's on the mway?
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no "avoid POIs" function.

One option would be to let it plan your route using the motorway, then ask it to plan an alternate route - this will plan a route that uses different roads for the entire journey wherever possible. You can do this before you set off, or on the fly as you get near to the motorway, etc.

Another option, if it's a short motorway section, would be to set an avoid area across it, to force TomTom to always route around it.

A third option would be to set up an itinerary, rather than a single destination. Put stopovers along your preferred route, to persuade TomTom to use that rather than the motorway. Often just one or two well placed stopover points are sufficient to bend TomTom to your will!

Only trial and error will show which of these is most appropriate for your journey.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a point of information, motorway avoidance is a new feature in TomTom Navigator 5 - see the screen shot under "Planning and Toll Charge Preferences" in the review.

David
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, With TT3 I use 2 avoids, 1 is on the west bound slip road on to the M27 at J11, the other is on the A27 just before Titchfield. This forces TT to take me to M27 J11 if I heading east to A3 or into Sussex, or if I'm travelling west to join the M27 at J9. Without these 2 avoids TT will always take me to M27 J11 regardless of the fact that I plan a route into Dorset or up the M3, if the avoid feature is not going to be in V5 how do you get around this one.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: