Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 5 Palm & Pocket PC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 5 Palm & Pocket PC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i can tell you its well worth waiting for,ive used TT2&TT3 and 5 is the business, you will not be disapointed, well worth the dosh

well pleased :D
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
Halfpiste
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the software has moved forwards in some ways, but in others has taken huge steps backwards as part of the dumbing down process.
It's now much easier to review the route once it's calculated and the browse as text option is a big improvement. The maps are also more up to date and, subjectively, route calculation appears to be quicker. The whole of Western Europe as an upgrade package was a fantastic touch, and the inbuilt POI Warner appears to work OK.
Now the downside. The main menu interface is very poor with it being heavily biased to subscription users. Satellite fix is slow on my ancient (2 year old!!!) 3970 and 3450 CF jacket and took some configuring and reinstallation of drivers. Itinerary planning appears now to require a satellite fix, whereas V3 allowed off-route planning. I miss the tap and hold option on the map screen and many "advanced" features such as reset GPS for this loaction appear to have disappeared, as does the ability to customise driving speeds. The interface, whilst not complicated, feels clumsier than V3 and all too often do I find myself inadvertantly clicking out of the screen I was working in and being dumped back into the navigation screen. Editing POI's seems to be a nightmare too.

All in all, worth the fee for the new maps but given the choice I would have preferred to have stuck with the same software. The old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it should have applied here and come next May/June/July next year it'll be a tougher choice as to which will be the best navigation package.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have no fix you can do two things -

1) Use Advanced Planning on the second page - you will get instructions as soon as you have a fix, or

2) Create and save an itinerary (just one destination if you want) - once you have a fix tell TT to follow the itinerary and you get the instructions.
Furrat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: 7 Digit Postcode support for UK Tomtom navigator 5 Reply with quote

I just received the upgrade for Tomtom Navigator 5 for Western Europe. I have a HP 4150, and was using version 2 before. However, having installed the Great Britain map and postcode program from setup on to the SD card, I cannot get 7 digit postcode support.

When I click on the "Postcode" option on the menu, I can only use 4 digits then have to put the street name.

Does the 7 digit postcode support actually work? If so how can I get it to work?
Furrat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: OOPS!!! Reply with quote

I found out from the previous page that a blank directory in the SD card named "TomTom" will get it to work! Very strange.
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robin2.

Thankyou for your reply. At least I am not the only person waiting for my upgrade to come. Rolling Eyes

Mearns... Did you get any sor of confirmation email either from TomTom or UPS stating a tracking number or that it has been posted to you?!

Did anyone ever get through to TomTom yesterday?! I am reluctant to try again today after the high blood pressure encountments Confused

Cheers,
lydiachris
jbegg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I got my upgrade working today at long last (got the upgrade last friday). After updating my Palm Desktop to version 4.1.4 (from version 4.1.0) I still could not get past the "No maps found" after using a card reader to install the maps. All I did was to hotsync the maps as well as the application (after advice from TomTom) and it worked.

Now I can join everyone else in looking at all the posts in the forums - without feeling I am an outcast not having been able to upgrade.

I can sympathise with all of the people who are trying to contact TomTom Support. I tried at least 10 times today between 11:00 and 15:55 to call them and tell them of my success at getting the upgrade to work and thank them for their help in doing so. I too could not get through, I kept getting an "All the lines are being used, please call back later message"
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Just got many emails from TomTom.

Please could people post what their current order screen looks like.

Ie. Under payment status does it still state "Authorised" and under shipping status "warehouse"

My order number is 544**

I would greatly appreicate posts.
Regards.
Tigaruk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got any clue when the wired version will be released? I contacted tomtom and they just said 'It's being shipped to retailers and then will be available from our webshop'. Didnt say if its shipping now or when it will be shipping though! Sad
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lydia Chris
Mine is also 544xxx and has been stuck on Authorised Warehouse since June 1st. But I have read somewhere that TomTom are so busy that they are not updating the status. A lot of people have reported receiving the upgrade while Warehouse was still indicated on the web site. I live in hope that UPS will arrive at the door soon.
Robin
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah me too, but apparently TomTom/UPS send you a tracking number by email once the upgrade has been despatched.
So keep checking your emails. Mine still states Warehouse/Authorised.

Saying that I STILL do not see how TomTom can send out some upgrades and not others, shouldn't it be a 'first come first served' basis?

Never mind, at least it gives us something to look forward to AND something to get stressed over Wink

Cheers, Keep us informes if anything changes!
Fingers crossed,
lydiachris
icytaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom 5 and usa map Reply with quote

Good review. I have upgraded to tom to 5 but can't use it yet. I paid for usa map only a few weeks ago ready for my florida holiday, only to find out now that it won't work with tom tom 5 Twisted Evil so i will keep using tom tom 3 until i come back to uk then upgrade. very annoyed Pam Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
CPLCVL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: TT 5 Upgrade Reply with quote

Anybody Know ? Embarassed

Have read the TomTom GO 5 software review showing how to use the postal code search. Using the <NAVIGATE TO> <POSTCODE> Ihave entered the same post code as seen on the example "CM202DE".

What is shown on the review is not what is shown on my screen?

my first option is CM20 (Harlow)
then CM2 (Chelmsford)

Not quite the "CM202DE School Lane" as shown on the review".

Any ideas ????? Question
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let some people know, my upgrade was shipped today this afternoon, hope you all get your orders soon.

Good ole TomTom Laughing Rolling Eyes Wink Exclamation
barijohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Postcodes Reply with quote

Hi,

I was having problems with the 7 digit postcodes, as in they wouldn't work. I was advised to move the zip folder to the root of the pocket pc instead of the sd card and hey presto it worked!!

I am in two minds about this upgrade. I agree with halfpiste comments it does seem a bit to dumbed down. Mind you I expect we will get used to it and then complain if it gets more complicated.

HTH

Bari.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 19 of 25

Jump to: