Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom hp navigation install advice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom hp navigation install advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stvme2519
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: tomtom hp navigation install advice Reply with quote

ive downloaded postcode download but cant find were ive saved the install instructions im using the ipaq 1710 pda can any one tell me how to install them
snooper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Postcodes Reply with quote

Hi

Where did you get the postcodes from Question

Snooper
IPAQ rz1710
TT Navigator
Kingston 512mb SD
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way to add postcodes to TomTom Navigator 2004 HP Edition. There's no postcode support built in, and there's no support for the Navigator SDK either in this version.

David
stvme2519
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would i be better scrappin hp edition of tomtom and instaliing tomtom 3 on it not bothered about the 1710 been a low end pda because im just using it for satnav nothing else
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom's own view is that the rz1710 really isn't capable of running TomTom Navigator 3, presumably because it only has 32MB of RAM.

TomTom Navigator 5 was announced today at CeBIT, which includes built in full postcode support. It appears that the software will be a free upgrade from Navigator 2004 HP Edition, though whether you'll need to buy newer maps to get postcode support, I don't know.

David
snooper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Upgrade Reply with quote

Very interesting.

When will this upgrade hit the streets Question

Cheers

Snooper Laughing
EvilTwin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you paid the £300 for the setup you got recently, then it may well be worth getting your money back via a refund, another £100 will get you somthing much more usable.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've said in another thread recently where someone expressed disappointment with their iPAQ rz1710 / HP Navigation bundle, you can't get your money back just because you don't like the product, or because something new has been announced.

If the retailer agrees to a refund, expect it to be less a hefty handling or restocking charge unless there is a fault.

The exact time frame for the release of Navigator 5 and the upgrade deals that will be offered is uncertain - but it looks likely to follow previous versions of Navigator in being in April or possibly early May.

The rz1710 remains a bottom end Pocket PC - and any limitations you have going forward will be down to owning a rz1710 and not a more capable machine. For example, the rz1710 has no Bluetooth, so it won't be possible to use a Bluetooth mobile phone for TomTom Plus.

David
stvme2519
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been offered a 2210 just the pda for 50 quid off a relative would i be able to put my hp edition tomtom on this for time been and sell the 1710 on
stvme2519
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be faur though im a truck driver for the coop and every road ive had to drop to ive had no problem using the 1710 nad hp edition and im not using the pda for anything else so one of them what am i to do Laughing Out Loud
snooper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone :P

Whilst the 1710 is a bottom end product. I purchased mine approx 3 weks ago and to be honest I use it every day in my job as a marketing consultant. Whilst the memory is limited I operate from a 512 mb SD Card. I use the TT Navigator for business trips and find it to be excellent I have found 1 map error which I have reported.

When i'm not using the TT in the car I use the mp3 player to listen to music via an FM modulator.

I am looking to purchase a IR dongle for my PC to make it wireless. I may be a novice but if you only have £299.00 to spend you get what you can and live with it.

I would like to know if I could by a bluetooth adapter for the ipaq Question

Too often too many people comment about bottom end products, I find this to be an excellent starter pack. I would like postcodes but I can live without them.

PS Staples are currently selling this package for £279.00 :P

SNOOPER
IPAQ RZ1710 TT HP Navigator
Kingston 512mb SD Card
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All add-on Bluetooth products seem to be troublesome. If you really want Bluetooth, I'd say that the best option is to sell the rz1710 and buy a more capable Pocket PC with Bluetooth built in. Just one problem is that a full Bluetooth stack is going to need something like 2MBytes of RAM, and the rz1710 is pretty tight anyway.

TomTom and HP have introduced a version of the HP Navigation Pack based around the hx2110 - which has 64MB of RAM, a CompactFlash slot as well as an SD slot, and Bluetooth. This bundle uses a Bluetooth GPS if I remember rightly, and the same Navigator 2004 HP Edition software in the rz1710 bundle.

Be aware that FM modulators - unless they're the sort you insert in your antenna lead - are classed as unlicensed and unlicensable radio transmitters in the UK.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: