Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO 5 : Software review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO 5 : Software review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amongst the European countries, my understanding is that only the Netherlands and the UK have a postcode system that allows you to identify individual streets with a postcode.

Existing TomTom products have as much postcode support as is possible for other countries. I have some faint memory of postcode support being trumpted as a new feature in TomTom Navigator 3 (Navigator 2 didn't use postcodes at all), then the UK users cried foul because full postcodes weren't supported.

This time, TomTom have apparently used "full postcodes" to refer to postcodes identifying individual streets.

I await correction from those who have more familiarity with postcode systems in Europe if I've got this wrong!

What does seem clear is that Go 5 software with the new maps has full postcode support for the UK.

David
stratman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: TTG upgrade.... or not Reply with quote

Hi..I'm a very recent TTG user and I really love it...apart from this scenario...I've recently met a new lady who happens to live almost in the middle of no where...TTG has never taken me to her house the same way twice!!! A little frustrating when I'm trying to learn some kinda route!!! BUT the speed...sorry, I mean safety camera download has without doubt saved me from losing my license and is FAN-tastic! I cant afford yet another picture of my car through the post... otherwise I wont be using TTG or a car for a while!! Rolling Eyes

Anyhow.. this upgrade question. Like you guys, having just bought the thing and fallen in love with it, I will be mightily miffed if I cant get the new version software that would give me options of choosing the type of route to use, for example.

Before I registered with this forum, I'd read your news and immediately e-mailed Tom Tom asking what the situation is.. they said it will be available to us older version guys, to expect it during "The next few weeks" and to "Check the website".

It ^&*%ing better be available one way or another, although I'm not too fussed about not having travel reports etc via Bluetooth.... Hmmm.. let me think about that....Yep, I cant deny it would have been useful! But having said that, apart from the subscription stuff it will hopefully be a big :D for us all!!! Everything crossed, eh.....

Keep up the good work and thanks for some great tips and stories here.. Wink

Stratman
Sniff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
Amongst the European countries, my understanding is that only the Netherlands and the UK have a postcode system that allows you to identify individual streets with a postcode.
David

David, yes my understanding is the same. I just wanted to point out that postcodes in other European countries are already supported by GO. Not as useful as the street-level stuff in the UK and Netherlands, but still handy to have nonetheless.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the confirmation, sniff.

To clarify, the existing postcode support is near certain to be continued into Go 5 with the new maps - it would be crazy to remove it. For the two European countries with 'street level' postcodes, Go 5 with the new maps will support those postcodes - which the existing Go software and maps do not.

So far as upgrades go, details are still unclear, but it seems that there will be an upgrade, and likely that a "software only" upgrade - that is one that doesn't have new maps - will be free for existing Go users. What is unclear is when existing Go users will be offered the new maps (presumably for a fee) and whether new maps are needed for the new full postcode support to work.

All will become clear in time when TomTom make their announcements. To date, TomTom's upgrade deals have been pretty generous and at some of the lowest prices in the business for those who pay for chargeable upgrades. Hopefully that will continue!

David
dogdays
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Go Upgrade Reply with quote

I only bought the Go 3 months ago. I expect at least a free softwear upgrade. As for new maps us existing users whose units are under 1 year old should at least get a special deal.
nich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I whole heartedly agree with the last post. If ttg are as good as hoped, i think they will look after new owners. I think within the last 6 months free or very special rate, otherwise people might be put off in the future feeling that the devices might become obsolete before there paid for.
Eskie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the above posts are hilarious; some people sure do like to get themselves worked up about something that MIGHT happen Laughing

Guys; chill; 8) IF the news is what you fear THEN get irate, but it seems completely pointless stressing yourselves out at this point!

The guys that run this forum do a great job; some of the posts on this thread have been almost having a go at them which is well out of order, after-all they do not work for Tomtom!
A bit more gratitude wouldn't go a miss as well some patience Smile

Information & prices on Streetlife Sounds, Entertaining London & the Sou
nich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all appreciate what a great job this forum does.
The reason we air are views now is so that it might get the message across to ttg before there release.
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Wish list Reply with quote

A couple of additions I would like are,

Password protect my sd card just in case it gets stolen.

Sound option to keep poi sound on and voice off. (helps warn of speed cameras when not needing voice instructions.

When selecting a street for a city it should list only the streets in that city.

Custom poi sounds.

I use my TomTom for work and pleasure every day and can't wait for the upgrade.

Keep up the good work at TomTom and may my wishes will come true!
JohnBoy59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to Conroyd - he has a silent voice to download and it works a treat. You still get the full nav screen but no voice and all the PIO warnings work. He also has one that beeps instead of having a voice.
Grey_Area
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: The other shoe has dropped... Reply with quote

First...update for TomTom Go now available on TomTom website...well, sort of (see later).

Confirmation that new maps are going to cost owners 79.95 Euros plus 9.95 Euros for postage. Can I get irate now? I only bought mine in December, and support other users who suggest that recent purchases (I'd say 6 months rather than 12) should at least get a reduced rate, if not totally free.

And the FREE download of version 5 is as far as I can tell not working...both the exe and zip file download give you a file that installs version 4.400, which is a backwards step from my old 4.420! The cynic in me thinks this is deliberate to encourage people to go for the paid upgrade of maps plus software...go on, convince me I'm wrong.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The other shoe has dropped... Reply with quote

Grey_Area wrote:
First...update for TomTom Go now available on TomTom website...well, sort of (see later).

Confirmation that new maps are going to cost owners 79.95 Euros plus 9.95 Euros for postage. Can I get irate now? I only bought mine in December, and support other users who suggest that recent purchases (I'd say 6 months rather than 12) should at least get a reduced rate, if not totally free.

And the FREE download of version 5 is as far as I can tell not working...both the exe and zip file download give you a file that installs version 4.400, which is a backwards step from my old 4.420! The cynic in me thinks this is deliberate to encourage people to go for the paid upgrade of maps plus software...go on, convince me I'm wrong.

Well you proved yourself wrong when you took the TomTom CD out of the drive :P

The mapping upgrade has been discussed in detail already in other threads. I am not sure why people expect a free upgrade. TomTom have not done this in the past, and no company that I know of will offer free upgrades to products bought before they are officially announced. If you bought a paper OS map In December and the Map was updated in April you certainly wouldnt expect to get the new map free so why is it any different for electronic maps?

Bear in mind that for all maps issued by TomTom there is a royalty fee that is payable to Teleatlas, and the effort that is involved by the TomTom mapping team to format and check each map set.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The other shoe has dropped... Reply with quote

Grey_Area wrote:

Have you taken your Cd out of the drive before installing V5. The installer will, by default, run from the CD drive.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
docdoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To anyone else who complains about upgrade prices: you should see what Alpine, Lexus, BMW etc charge for their upgrades!
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: The other shoe has dropped... Reply with quote

Grey_Area wrote:

the price of 79.95 IS a reduced rate already. Full rate would be double, if not more. So what you are saying is that early users, more than 6 months, are not entitled to the reduced rate? I don't see how that helps you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: