Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Beginner’s Guide
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginner’s Guide
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy007007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is so much on the site, it wasn't that clear. I downloaded the correct one, then i went on the garmin poi loader again, unzipped and it worked. how comes its all complexed on garmin site you just log in and click update speed cameras, can't this site do that ?
Thanks
Question
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the reasons the Garmin site looks so easy is the choice of product - there is only one!
Pocket GPS World support a large number of different devices from a multitude of different manufacturers, also you have the options as to the type of database download you want, again more decisions but it allows users to customise their installation.

Now you know what you are doing the next time you update will be so much easier - Mike
andy007007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are correct, your site does have more.
I used the sat nav today and the speed camera detection is no where near as good as garmin, sorry to say. at some points on the M27 and M3 it shows cameras that are not there, in some places it shows three next to each other, but there were none ! Also it shows cameras on the opposite side of the roads that do not get you any way. I feel that improvements are needed therefore i will require a refund and will carry on with garmin, thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear that you do not find our database useful. Our database is very much more comprehensive than Garmin's and your suggestion that it is otherwise is not true.

Many others have compared our data with that supplied by Garmin and drawn the opposite conclusions so I am at a a loss as to why you disagree.

We are unique in having a detailed Mobile Camera database. This provides warning of 'potential' Mobile Camera sites and by its very nature means you will get warnings for these sites regardless of whether a camera van is present or not. This may account for the warnings you describe?

As clearly stated on our subscription sign-up page, as this is an information service we do not grant refunds. I would urge you to try our database a little longer before giving up.

Last edited by Darren on Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how no-one else is having these problems. If the database was as bad as that it would not have survived.

Cameras that aren't there?
You don't say which version you were using, but it sounds like you were using the all in one file version which would warn you of MOBILE sites, but as that version was designed for machines that could only give a single warning you wouldn't be able to know. Any of the other download versions would tell you whether it was a fixed camera or a potential mobile site.

Three next to each other?
I somehow doubt it, but if you can give the location or the ID number of the cameras involved , it can obviously be investigated.

Cameras on the other side of the road.
A common problem, usually down to the "target range set on the device itself. Whether that is adjustable by the user depends on the manufacturer. On my TomTom this is an irritation for both the PGPSW database AND TomTom's own. If the Garmin data sorts this out better, and it's that important to you, then you'll probably be happier going back to it.
andy007007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for reply. I found quite a few places where it said there were two or three cameras on the M27 & M3, there are no fixed ones on these motorways ! It seemed to happen more near bridges, it was fixed cameras, and some mobile. the garmin picks up mobile ones also. The Garmin does not pick up fixed ones on the other side of the road that you do not be alerted to. I did not have to change any settings with garmin to account for this and i do not know if i can djust it for your system. Thank you for advice.
TeeeJay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: TomTom one v3 Reply with quote

Hi, I've just got a TT1 v3 and have a few questions before I sign up of speed camera database.
1, What happens to the tomtom speed camera data when I load PGPSW data.
2, Are camera warnings directional? i.e. only get warning when traveling ina certain direction.
3, can I get a voice warning of e.g. "speed camera ahead"
4, Is the warning always given, even if i am below speed limit?
5, do all visual warnings give speed limit?
Sorry if some of these questions are stupid but I only got the satnav thus week.
Also is there an idiots guide to installing the database specifically for TT1?
Thanks in advance
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I found quite a few places where it said there were two or three cameras on the M27 & M3, there are no fixed ones on these motorways ! It seemed to happen more near bridges, it was fixed cameras, and some mobile.

Do you know where they are? If so, report the errors on this page Free subscriptions are offered to those that are the first to submit changes and errors. See this page Don't forget though the database is NOT a detector but a database of camera locations. Mobile cameras are not always there, but you will be alerted to the site. On motorways these sites are often on bridges but the database marks them slightly off the bridge to stop false alerts to those crossing the bridge.

Quote:
The Garmin does not pick up fixed ones on the other side of the road that you do not be alerted to.

The PGPSW database does have directional data but some units cannot use it. The PGPSW database doesn't work in the same way the Garmin one does, hence they can take advantage of the directional data but the PGPSW database can't.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeeeJay - Hi and welcome.

The TT1 guide is here. I'm not knowledgeable on the TT range so i have a go at some of your questions.

1) You'll need to disable it otherwise you'll get out of date and duplicate alerts.

3) You can - Click Here Instructions are further down page.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom one v3 Reply with quote

TeeeJay wrote:
Hi, I've just got a TT1 v3 and have a few questions before I sign up of speed camera database.
1, What happens to the tomtom speed camera data when I load PGPSW data.
2, Are camera warnings directional? i.e. only get warning when traveling ina certain direction.
3, can I get a voice warning of e.g. "speed camera ahead"
4, Is the warning always given, even if i am below speed limit?
5, do all visual warnings give speed limit?
Sorry if some of these questions are stupid but I only got the satnav thus week.
Also is there an idiots guide to installing the database specifically for TT1?
Thanks in advance

1. You can keep the TT cameras if you wish. But we advise against it to avoid duplicate warnings and what we consider to be false warnings, because their data is less accurate.
2. Warnings are NOT directional on TomTom devices. There is a feature to warn only for cameras on your route, but you'll still get warnings for cameras facing the "wrong" way - a limitation of the TomTom application.
3. Yes - Mine says "Warning, Gatso ahead, Speed limit 40 miles an hour". Even better, it does it for Average Speed cameras, Temporaries, Redlights and Mobiles.
4.Yes, if you have it set to warn, you are warned irrespective of your speed.
5. Yes, they all have speed displayed, except Temporaries and Redlights.

NOTE - you only get the speed display and warnings if you choose the correct set to download - called "Speed Zoned Complete".

Yes, there is a guide. But to be honest, if you've got any sort of computer ability, you'll find it very easy. In a nutshell, you choose the camera set you want (Speed Zoned Complete) and download a zip file. Unzip it, to get two files per camera type (.OV2, the data and .BMP the visual icon). You copy these into your map folder. Then you activate (enable) them. Adding the voices is another set of files which you only need to do once - for every subsequent update (roughly fortnightly, minimum monthly) the voices stay there and are automatically picked up by the new data set.

The whole job takes me maybe half an hour for three TomToms, because I'm a slow fat old man. Actually, I don't know how long it takes me - I just set myself off on automatic and pinch myself every now and again to wake up and see if I've finished. Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom one v3 Reply with quote

TeeeJay wrote:

OUCH. I'm rushing so fast to try and beat Andy and Oldboy and MikeAlder with an answer I forgot a very important bit .... Before you do anything at all, get a backup of your device immediately. Use Windows Explorer to do it, not TomTom Home. Do it NOW!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy007007 wrote:
Hi, thanks for reply. I found quite a few places where it said there were two or three cameras on the M27 & M3

There are a few regular locations for mobiles along the M3, particularly on the bridge above Jct 5 (Hook)

There are currently temporary SPECS cameras on the M27 between Fareham (Jct 11) and Portsmouth (Jct 12)

If you proceed along the M27 and then A27 away from the M3, you will find several permanent SPECS locations between Havant and Emsworth
andy007007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alerts being non directional is not very good, garmin work fine. how come three camera pictures come up on the screen one after the other in certain places on the m27 and m3, there can't be three within a fewyards of eachother ?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the cam download page. Zoom in to the top end of the M3. Travelling south there is a 30mph cam on the A3 close to the M3. (This may be one of your alerts.) There are two more fairly close either side of a exit roundabout to Horndean. There is one more on the off roundabout to Waterlooville. All of the above are mobile cams so probably won't be there when you pass.
M27. There are a couple of SPECS cams shown where the M27 crosses the A27 just north of Port Solent. There is a whole bunch of SPECS Mobiles and unconfirmed cams to the northeast of Fareham. This area seems to be a bit dynamic with the reported locations of cameras changing.

There are three cams fairly close together on the A27 Off turn roundabout. Going West, a SPECS, a mobile (or two depending on the database you are using) on the off roundabout, then another SPECS on the M27 all in less than a mile.
Are these the areas thet you are getting the problem?
If they are, would you rather be warned of the possibility of a cam, or not be warned and pick up a ticket if you should inadvertently excede the limit? Crying or Very sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy007007 wrote:
The alerts being non directional is not very good, garmin work fine. how come three camera pictures come up on the screen one after the other in certain places on the m27 and m3, there can't be three within a fewyards of eachother ?

Continually posting the same comment without providing more detail is pointless and unproductive.

We cannot offer directional alerts on the Garmin devices because they do not make that feature available to 3rd party data providers. They keep that for themselves. Were it possible we'd offer it.

As for the cameras you keep alluding to, tell us where these are and we can take a look and respond. If you can't or won't then stop repeating the same comments! Have you deleted the Garmin installed camera POIs?

By the way, the font button is there to draw attention to a specific word or section of a post, please stop using it to make all your text larger, its' unnecessary.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 24 of 33

Jump to: