Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Basemap data and City Select V7
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Basemap data and City Select V7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Basemap data and City Select V7 Reply with quote

I bought a Garmin Quest yesterday and so far I'm very pleased. It came with City Select v6 which seems to show the M6 Toll when zoomed right in, but does not use it for routing. My guess is that City Select v7 will correct this so I have requested the upgrade CDs

My question is that when reading the manuals, they state that basemap data is used for zoom levels 0.3 mile and above, with Mapsource data being used when you zoom in closely.

Does this mean that when I'm actually driving at wider zoon levels I'll still have the old road network displayed and no M6 Toll? Can a v7 user check this behaviour for me?

Could it be I was sold an older model, is there a newer basemap version which includes the M6 Toll - could someone turn off their mapsource data and check for me?

Steve
AnonymousBodge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M6 Toll displays at 7 mile zoom but disappears at 10 mile zoom level.
Another one for Garmin error report
http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/errorForm.html
AnonymousBodge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, missed off the bit "using MapSource City Select Europe v7"
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The basemap is displayed at certain zoom levels. You should see the word "Mapsource" just below the zoom level, this will disappear when you zoom right out and see the basemap.

The basemap is not very accurate at all and a lot of major roads are not in the base map, but the loaded maps will override it for routing purposes, even when you are zoomed right out.

I don't think it's anything to really worry about.
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
The basemap is displayed at certain zoom levels. You should see the word "Mapsource" just below the zoom level, this will disappear when you zoom right out and see the basemap.

The basemap is not very accurate at all and a lot of major roads are not in the base map, but the loaded maps will override it for routing purposes, even when you are zoomed right out.

I don't think it's anything to really worry about.

Am I missing something here? Surely when I'm driving end to end of the M6 Toll and auto-zoom zooms out to 10 miles or more I won't be able to see the road I'm on, yet it is a Motorway.

To me, that's an error.
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BrummyGit"]
Skippy wrote:

I don't think there's a problem here. Here's what my Quest and pc running v7 do: The M6 Toll is in the MapSource database and is used where necessary when routing. It is visible and usable when you drive a route. The only issue here seems to be that if you "Hide GPS Map Detail" on the pc or, have a detail level less than "Most" or "More" on the Quest than the M6 Toll does disappear when you're 'browsing'. I suspect this could be a Toll Road protocol in MapSource/Navteq as opposed to a motorway protocol. The M6 Toll Road on my Quest/pc is shown at ALL zoom levels provided you "Show GPS Map Detail" on the pc or have the Quest at "More" or "Most" map detail. :D
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for an informative reply. I'll check out your suggestions when v7 of City Select arrives.

Can you point me in the right direction for the "Hide GPS Map Detail" setting please.

Cheers

Steve
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, I've found it - just need V7 now Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: