Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI warnings when voice is 'off'
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI warnings when voice is 'off'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: POI warnings when voice is 'off' Reply with quote

Hi there,

In a review of the customised POI for TomTom Go you guys had said you can have the main voice off, (i.e. jane), but still have the POI warning 'on'. Very useful so I get the cow mooing at me near a camera I thought, but I just can't seem to get it worked out! Am I missing something? When I have the speaker off, all is off. Can you tell me if I can get this right?

GREAT site by the way! :P

boris
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having it off with Jane?

To have jane off simply dont plan a route. If you have planned a route you would obviously want her on.

With or without a route planned the camera warnings will always be on. ( assuming volume turned up )

By the way why not upgrade from the MOOS etc to the spoken warnings?

Mark
boris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Jane does sound very nice....(just be greatful I didn't mention the cow too much...............)

Thanks for the reply. I was just reading about the spoken warnings as I hadn't seen that before. Have I read that right - it tells you the type of camera and the speed limit? I know, I know, I should have understood, but if you tell me it's quicker than me going through it again!

But, back to the warnings, I drive all over a big chunk of the middle of the country, so I usually do have a route planned, but I don't always use Jane to guide me, but just follow the red line, with the green arrows. The camera, sorry accident black spot warnings, would still be nice though. Have tried it out, but with Jane off, the cow goes quiet too. Still get the flashing and the red outline on the map though. Being fairly new though, and having read the review, I think there must be a way.

Have also tried using the 'on route only' option, and without that box ticked. Still can't wake the cow up if Jane isn't talking. Driving
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The software seems to turn the speaker amplifier off, which will turn everything off. It would be nice to seperate the on/off functions.

This problem could perhaps go on a wishlist!

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
simonavo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried deleting all the voice files then turning on sound but it flashes up message "you did not select a useable voice" DOH! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Nigelt28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you delete some of the pre installed voices and then choose one of them (i.e one that has been deleted) then you will not hear any directions but the POI warnings will still work.

Hope this helps.
boris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Thanks for the responses. I hear what you say about deleting off voices, but I think it will go on a 'wishlist'
Great forum though. Here's another question then that would help me a lot. One of the reasons I have the voice off a lot is because I spend a LOT of time in the car and get a lot of phonecalls, (on the hands free obviously). The phone kit automatically switches the radio off, which is very good. So, question is, has anybody got a way or a little box that could 'switch off' Jane in the same way?

(The little boy in me is begging to add that I would have no trouble turning Jane on again!)

Appreciate your comments.
Boris :D
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boris wrote:

Great forum though. Here's another question then that would help me a lot. One of the reasons I have the voice off a lot is because I spend a LOT of time in the car and get a lot of phonecalls, (on the hands free obviously). The phone kit automatically switches the radio off, which is very good. So, question is, has anybody got a way or a little box that could 'switch off' Jane in the same way?

There is a TTG Permanent Docking Kit that connects in the car stereo. I don't know to what extent it would exist with a mobile phone.

See at http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessory.php?ID=70&Product=0&Category=0&Language=1

Hope it helps.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
JohnBoy59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigelt28 wrote:
If you delete some of the pre installed voices and then choose one of them (i.e one that has been deleted) then you will not hear any directions but the POI warnings will still work.

Hope this helps.

If you delete the voices they don't appear as potions to select so how can this work?
Nigelt28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do on mine!
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably depends on how you delete them. Each voice is in a dataXX.chk file. There is also an associated .vif file for each voice which references the .chk file. For example, engf.vif says "English - Jane (GB)" and points to data05.chk

If you manually delete the .chk files but leave the .vif files in place, you can probably continue to select non-existant voices. I suspect that if you use the utility on the CD to delete voices it will zap the .vif files as well.

Roger

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: