Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quest and City Select version 7
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quest and City Select version 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
or10n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DPL,

I updated to City Select V7.0 the other day.

I have just loaded the selected maps (UK and the coastal area of N.France) to the Quest.

In order to effect the transfer it seems that you first of all select the maps which you wish to transfer, using the mapping tool ( in my case the 132 maps which I wanted took a few minutes), at this stage I thought it best to save the selection, which I simplistically called My Maps 1.

You then have to have the Quest connected to the USB Port, and switched on! Once the computer has found the device (The Quest) you should be able to effect the transfer, in this case Tick the Map Box. It will be greyed out until the computer has recognised the Quest.

Once having found it took about 15 minutes to transfer the 132 maps - just time to pour another drink!

Hope you get it sorted.

Phil Thomas
ayresmas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Quest and City Select version 7 Reply with quote

Hi DPL:

Have you selected some parts of the map with the map tool?
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose reading the manual might have helped me - but that's not a boy's thing. I did do it in the end. I hadn't twigged at first that you had to delete the original maps, then I didn't twig you had to highlight what you wanted as opposed to just trying to transfer everything....By blundering around I got there but I can't help feeling a l;ot of pain and anguish could have been avoided if the v7 cd had included some instructions beyond "pull this tab to open the packet..." Did someone suggest an idiots guide? Form a queue behind me. Embarassed
or10n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DPL,

You're right - it needs some clever b****r to write a "GPS for Dummies" book.

Glad you managed to get it sorted.

Regards to all,

Phil Thomas
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, on closer inspection it's not completely sorted. Sad I've got the v7 for the UK loaded and all works fine. :D But. As delivered the Quest would allow me to construct 'European tours' - for instance I programmed in a route that took in the motor racing circuits of Le Mans, Nurburgring, Rheims, Spa.....ie from a Coventry base a journey of 1500 miles or so around the UK, France and Germany. Having loaded the UK maps the world ends at Dover, as you would expect, but if I try and load Germany and France there's not enough memory. (UK - 166mb, Germany - 379mb, France - 356 mb - total Quest memory 256mb or thereabouts) So, I'm confused again. The Quest as delivered with v6 contained at least UK, France and Germany because I created all sorts of trial routes involving all sorts of places. Crying or Very sad

Anybody know what's changed or what I've done/doing wrong Question
tjr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As delivered the Quest will have the Atlantic base map for the whole of Europe. This is fixed so it should still be there (try looking again!!!). It's routable, so can be used for route planning but of course doesn't contain detailed street level data.

If you were planning a long European trip, it should be possible to download specific detailed maps for your destinations, and use the basemap for the journeys between them. You'll have to think carefully where you will need the detailed maps most. Or take a laptop with you and reload as you move between regions.
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjr - ok, bit more information. If I zoom out from the UK to show the whole of Europe then that's what I see - the whole of Europe, so presumably the Atlantic base map is there as you suggested. Smile But what I can't do anymore is find an address outside the UK. Sad Whereas as delivered I could search for places like Le Mans, Rheims, Nurburgring, my cousins place in the south of France....now the address database seems to be UK only. I can see the places on the map - they're named and I can zoom into them but I can't 'find' them. Confused

Any clues Question
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPL wrote:
I can't help feeling a l;ot of pain and anguish could have been avoided if the v7 cd had included some instructions beyond "pull this tab to open the packet..." Did someone suggest an idiots guide? Form a queue behind me. Embarassed

There already is an idiots guide, it's called the Manual. I can't help but think that you could have avoided a lot of pain and anguish if you had read it as soon as you started having problems. Wink Laughing
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious request...Perhaps you'd care to enlighten me then, in simple English translated from the manual, what steps I should take...
ayresmas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Garmin Quest difficulties Reply with quote

Hi DPL:

(1) I am not an expert in GPS operation but I think that using v.7 is much like using v.6. What changes are the amount of information, some particular details and new features provided but the operation is supposed to be much the same.

(2) The point is: go ease, go slowly getting used to each and every functionality of Quest. Quest is a bit complicated (but very powerful). Read a small portion of the manual and exercise it and read again and exercise it again to get damnly familiar with it. Even doing so, you will find latter new features in old points you might have thought you were already proficient! I have been doing this way and it works.
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayresmas

Yes, thanks, that's exactly what I've been doing since I got the Quest back in November and I've had no issues with functionality until now. If you take it a step at a time there is logic to everything. I'm very very impressed with the whole thing. :D
I asssumed in the absence of any instructions supplied with the v7 cd (other than put it in the cd drawer of the pc and click 'run') that nothing would be changed compared to v6 other than the addition of updated map data. But nowhere can I find why the 'find address' feature is now limited to the UK or how to recover the feature for the whole of the Atlantic basemap. As I've said previously I can see my cousins place in the south of France on the (base) map but I can't plot a route to it anymore as I could prior to loading v7. If the base map is embedded in the unit what has altered its functionality?

Somethings changed and I guess it's not anything that anybody has come up against before as there has been no words of wisdom posted. I've emailed Garmin Tech Support for their views. I'll post the response...
tjr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can see the places on the map - they're named and I can zoom into them but I can't 'find' them.

Have you tried Find > Cities ?

My experience is that this will find cities in the base map, whereas Find > Addresses will only search the detailed maps.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPL wrote:
Serious request...Perhaps you'd care to enlighten me then, in simple English translated from the manual, what steps I should take...

(Sorry if I sounded sarcastic, it took me a while to get to grips with my GPS too. No offense was intended, smiles are available if required!)

1. Plot your route in Mapsource.
2. Select the maps which cover your route area (zoom in to do this or you will get too many maps and overload your Quest memory).
3. Check the map set size. If you have space to spare then take a look at your map set and select some more maps to upload. If you have too many maps then zoom in on your route and find some that you can delete.
4. Upload the data (Map set and the Route you created) to the Quest

I would guess that when you got your Quest, selected areas of City Select Europe were pre-loaded into it. This is why you could find your friend's address.

The find function will only find an address if it actually exists on in the map data loaded. This makes sense when you get used to the relationship between the basemap and the detailed maps. Think of the basemap as a road atlas of Europe and the Mapsource maps as the A-Z streetmap.

If you go out of the coverage area of your loaded maps then the GPS will revert to the Basemap which shows a rough indication of the major roads.

Yes, it does take a bit of getting used to. I was still finding cool new features on my Garmin GPS after months of using it.

Check out the "Getting Started" section of the Help files in Mapsource if you haven't done so already.

As a side note, CoPilot does "step 2" above much better than Mapsource, you can create a route and upload a map corrodor of (say 20 miles) around the route and a radius (say 100 miles) around the destination. It's unfortunate that Garmin still insist on using map chunks like this.

Enjoy your trip!
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjr and skippy - you both hit upon the problem. 8) I was assuming (wrongly) that a could 'find' an 'address' in the base map. As you both rightly point out you can only 'find' 'cities' in the base map. So now, all works and all is right with the world again. :D Thank you both for your help. This shows the benefits to all of the forum. Thank you Pocket GPS World too. :D :D

Skippy - no offense taken Wink
Number6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPL, did you get the version 6 CD package with your Quest? There is an excellent tutorial on the installation disc, mine came with no maps pre-loaded so I've been playing about loading different areas. One thing that's annoying is that you can't add further maps without automatically deleting all the existing maps, so make sure you load everything you need in one go!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: