Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ahhh its all to confusing for a newbie, got any advice for m
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ahhh its all to confusing for a newbie, got any advice for m

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmaveric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Ahhh its all to confusing for a newbie, got any advice for m Reply with quote

Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place etc, let me know and I'll post elsewhere.

I started looking into getting a pda and gps and boy what a lot of options there are. I've read through a lot of reviews and posts on here but still can't decide what to get.

I have a background in computers, running four at home with wifi, internet/email server on a domain and I work in programming so I thought it would be easy to choose something but as usual with these things there are so many different options, that without the knowledge of everything out there I'm a bit lost.

What I wanted was a handheld gps and pda. So I looked at the Milo 168, just what I wanted I thought. Then I realised that as I have wireless at home (and will be changing my phone soon) so that a wifi or bluetooth enabled set would be more useful. For the pda side of things, infrared just isn't worth it as if I have to turn on my laptop to connect the thing to then I might as well just use the laptop to check my email (Making the pda email functions pretty useless).

So what recommendations do you have.

i.e. Milo with wifi/memory card (although these seem only to have small memory)
Milo with 1G memory card and not use the email software etc
different system with bluetooth and a bluetooth connection on the email server (and a new bluetooth enabled phone).
or something completely different.

Also is it possible to use remote desktop (or something similar) to xp or windows 2003 server from a pda?
And can I write my own software for pda's using normal compilers (Visual studio C++ etc) or would I need special libraries/API's/Compilers etc.

Boy that's a lot of questions.
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a i-mate PDA 2K:

Memory: 128MB RAM, 64MB ROM
Processor: 400MHz Intel PXA263 Processor
Transflective Colour TFT LCD [64,000 Colours]
SDIO Secure Digital Expansion Slot - also works with MMC [multimedia cards]
SIM card slot [unlocked for all networks]
Inbuilt Colour Camera with a Resolution of 640 x 480 (VGA) with JPEG encoder
Built-in microphone and speaker
Screen Dimensions: 240x320 pixel touch screen
Power: 1200 mAh Li-Ion Polymer removable & rechargeable
Backup : 25mAh rechargeable
Battery Life : Main Battery - 168 hours [standby]; Backup Battery - 15 hours [PDA Mode]
Dimensions: [w]71.6 x [h]125 x [d]18.5 mmWeight: 210g

Connectivity
GSM & GPRS for phone and Internet
GSM & GPRS, qaudband 850/900/1800/1900 MHz works in every country
Combined USB & Serial Port
Infrared Port
Bluetooth v1.2
WiFi technology
Network unlocked
Active Sync 3.7

Have a look really really nice PDA/phone, get that and tomtom i would if i had was going to buy.
madmaveric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool phone. I was looking at the all in one phones and pda's but the problem is they are too big to carry around (wouldn't want that in my pocket on the dance floor in the local club Laughing ). So a separate phone and pda/gps is better for my needs.
The problem is that if they make them small enough then the screen/keyboard is pretty much useless. Until they start mass producing those roll out screen/keyboard thingies, I don't think I'd get one. Nice bit of kit though, almost tempted to get one of those and a second phone to take out on a night :D

At the moment I'm leaning towards the milo with wifi card. The only reason I brought the phone into it is my contract is now 15months old so I can upgrade cheaply (possibly to a Bluetooth one if you guys persuade me its worth having ).
madmaveric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the last couple of days reading articles and forums I've decided on (and ordered) a mio 168 and a scandisk 256 wifi card. All I need to decide now is what to run on it (probably tomtom navigator from what I've read) and if I need another memory card.

The memory cards are a pain as from what I gather the speed of them is important. Problem is that the price difference is huge between the fastest and the slowest. but I'll leave that until I've had the thing for a while so I can gauge if I need a big fast expensive one or a smaller slower cheaper one Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: