Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Nav. 4 hijacks my BT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Nav. 4 hijacks my BT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farwellbooth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: TT Nav. 4 hijacks my BT Reply with quote

I just installed the Nav. 4 upgrade and finally got my iPAQ 4150 to connect to my Royalek Blue GPS. TT automatically turns on my ppc BT and finds the Royaltek however I can no longer get Pocket Navigator to find my gps. What's really strange is when I open up the Royaltek program and click AutoScan on Com6 it won't connect. I can't get my ppc to connect within the Royaltek program, only TT. TT hiacked the BT. Any ideas to get Pocket Navigator going?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see my Review of the TomTom Navigator 2004.

Its a bit of work but if you are very careful during the installation of the TomTom GPS driver then you can avoid this world dominance problem.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
farwellbooth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a quote of yours; "All you really need to get TTN 2004 running is the ttgpseng.exe file. You can extract this from the GPS.CAB file with WinZIP and replace the existing version."

I'm no expert and not really sure how to swap files and what programs to get to do so. I can't even the TT files using File Explore to find the Cab files. Would you mind being a little more detailed in performing this? thanks for the help
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. remove TomTom ~ GPS from your Pocket PC
2. do a soft reset
3. repeat above to two steps make sure it is really, really gone
4. download the TomTom GPS 2.07 driver from our site (for ARM processor) and copy it via ActiveSync into the \Temp folder of the Pocket PC
5. Start > Programs >File Explorer
6. Navigate to Temp > tap on the CAB file
7. on CD1, in the \PocketPC folder, find the GPS.CAB and open it with WinZip
8. Extract the file ttgpseng.001 to ttgpseng.exe somewhere on the PC
9 copy the ttgpseng.exe file via ActiveSync to the \windows folder of your Pocket PC - confirme the overwrite.

That should do the trick.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
farwellbooth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Extract the file ttgpseng.001 to ttgpseng.exe somewhere on the PC

lbendlin could you be a little more specific to this step. By extracting do you mean replace with ttgpseng.001 with ttgpseng.exe? I'm over my head and confused. thanks very much for the help
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inside the cab file the file is called ttgpseng.001 . You need to extract it from the cab file (with Winzip) into a temporary directory, and then with your PC file explorer rename it from ttgpseng.001 to ttgpseng.exe . This file then needs to be transferred to the Pocket PC. If you would simply transfer the ttgpseng.001 file then nothing useful would happen.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
farwellbooth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Winzip do I need? Also to change the file name on my PC with file explorer... can I do this in Windows Explorer or do I need some extra "file explorer" download? thanks
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard Winzip www.winzip.com

yes, Windows Explorer.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
farwellbooth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I can connect Pocket Navigator and also within Royaltek however now I can't get TT to connect. I go through the configure gps, other gps, etc. however nothing. I followed all your steps and when I changed the file to .exe it turned into the old gps icon found in TT Nav. 3. What trouble shooting can I do? Thanks very much for your help
farwellbooth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add when I saved the arm GPS to my temp PPC folder and tapped on it nothing happens.... I get the "There is no app associated..."
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most probably you have renamed it inadvertedly. It needs to have the extension ".CAB" to work.

(You didn't copy the ZIP file to the Pocket PC, did you?)

Unfortunately Pocket File Explorer hides extensions. You will need to use ActiveSync's "Explore" function to verify and if necessary correct the file name.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
farwellbooth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I saved the CAB file to the temp folder the name says gps.ppc3_arm.CAB On my desktop PC where I saved it prior to transferring to ppc it has the WinZip icon and within winzip is says winzip file. Does this mean it still needs to be unzipped, extracted or something? I tried manipulating it withing winzip and nothing happens. Saving it into the temp folder on the ppc seems like a strange place. Is it supposed to launch when I tap it? Again I get the "There is no app. associated..."
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he files on our website are indeed zipped, so you need to extract the CAB file once from the ZIP. but then you shoul dnot touch it any more.

Winzip has assigned files with .CAB ending to itself - that's why you see the notion "Winzip file" which is not entirely correct - it's an archive plus installation instructions.

Nevertheless you CAN use Winzip to extract the contents of the CAB file - but as discussed previously we only need to do that for the ttgpseng.001 of the new GPS driver.

back to your issue. If yo have made 100% sure that the file in the \temp directory of your Pocket PC is called gps.ppc_arm.cab (again, you can only be sure by looking at it with a program that doesn't hide extensions) you MUST be able to tap on it and execute it.

This is one of the fundamental ways a Pocket PC works, if this doesn't work on your Pocket PC then something is really, really wrong with that machine.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
farwellbooth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite there yet but closer....

I got the CAB to self install when I tap it in my temp. folder. I transferred the .exe file that I changed the name of the Windows folder and confirmed overwrite. I still can't get TT to connect to my Royaltek. I you pretty sure It'll work? I now can connect Pocket Navigator. I've completely uninstalled TT and did all this again and still can't get it going... any ideas? thanks boy I'm frustrated with TT
farwellbooth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CAB file from CD 1, you meant from the prior Navigator version correct b/c I want the older one? I was getting the one off CD from Nav. 04. I just tried the older one off the CD and the gps icon in the lower right corner is now the older one. I replaced the file in Windows and now the BT light actually comes on on my Royaltek when opening TT for the first time with these configurations however it still says no gps and I don't get a map.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: