Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - can’t find the right com port
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

can’t find the right com port
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicknick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: can’t find the right com port Reply with quote

The black boxy one is the LP.

What 'Application Software' are you using?

Then you could look on their support page or the Pretec one

But if you give more detail here we may be able to help

NN
mrgadget
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: can’t find the right com port Reply with quote

thanx nicknick, i use it w/ the portable guide software that it came with, but i only get 4 com ports and none of them finds the right one. portable guide also came w/ a gps demo program ,don't know if you are familiar w/ it, but there it works and gives 8 ports wich i actualy connect though com 6 and get a lock on within minutes. but when actualy starting portable guide i don't have a com 6 choice. went on their website and didn't find a solution. what software do you use?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Guys guys guys, I think you're getting these round the wrong way.

PRETEC LP GPS

PRETEC COMPACT GPS

alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

if your useing navigatorv1 the gps driver suports both pretes so you dont need to put the pretec software on to your ppc when i replaced my gps receiver i just pluged it in and it worked I lost my old one i left it in a hire truck i was using i think anyway ive just changed jobs and have installed my car mount and arial ( whch it pretecs own)make sure you have one these for car use or you can get a proper sat lock)in my scania 144 truck itll try to post some picsture when i get the chance

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
mrgadget
Occasional Visitor

Hi i have the ipaq 3975 w. the pretec compactflash gps, when installing the demo file and executing it i get all the sattelites to show up up and then get a reading, all of that on com 6. But when starting the application software from pretec to locate myself on a map the ipaq can't find the gps as i only show 4 comports 1,2,3,4 + auto, i know i need com 6 but it doesn't show!. i tried re installing the program. please help
nicknick
Regular Visitor

Are you using the standard or LP version of the Pretec. If the LP then you need to get the latest drivers from the Pretec web site. The new driver uses COM2.

NN
mrgadget
Occasional Visitor

Not sure i use the greyish one, not the black one!

And i also have the navman jacket gps wich honestly sucks compared to the pretec,and it also connects through com 6.

If i needed new drivers where would i find them as i thinlk i searched the whole planet for a solution. Please help.
nicknick
Regular Visitor

Wait a minute Dave, I'm sure that one at the top fits my description of 'black boxy' which as you have shown is the LP. I'd say the other is more 'pointy'

In any case the latest drivers for the one at the top can be downloaded from Pretec, and that then uses COM2, for the other I don't know.

I use TomTom (v1 now - but v2 soon) - and in the settings for that I use the "GPS Port" setting not a specific port, but then TomTom does let you use "Pretec CompactGPS-LP as an option too

NN
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Nick, The one at the top (LP) is a brown/gray coloured plastic, the bottom one (Compact GPS) is the black one.
nicknick
Regular Visitor

Hmm, they must have changed since the ones you reviewed. The one I have (the LP) is definitely black and also has the words PRETEC in white on the top. But hopefully mrgadget can 'point' to the one he has.

NN
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I did have one of the earlier models and it was a black case, but the one's I've seen since come in this brown/gray plastic. One might be a European version and one an American or Taiwan version perhaps.

Re-reading his posts it sounds like he's using the Pretec LP as Portable Guide I believe is only available with the LP, or I haven't seen it with the Compact version anyway.

I did have Portable Guide when I did the review, but never tried using it, as I was mainly trying to overcome the problems that many were facing with obtaining a satellite fix on a 3970 with the older drivers.
nicknick
Regular Visitor

Well if that is the case then here http://www.pretec.com/ftp/CompactGPS_LP/v2_4/pocketpc_V2.4.zip is the link to the latest drivers, and these definitely use COM2. But definitely no good for the non-LP version

NN
mrgadget
Occasional Visitor

mine looks like the second one and is defenetly grey, as for the software i use portable guide, and using the gps demo file i acquire satelites almost immediatly but when running portable guide the auto com features doesn't locate the gps and manualy chosing com 2 doesn't solve the problem either. i bought the unit about two years ago, i also tried it with the smart street pro from navman and not finding the com port either. i would think the unit is not working but like i say ,it is because the gps demo file acquires like 7 satelites. thanx again for your support.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

SmartST Pro won't work, as this will only work with the Navman sleeve.

Best bet is to download WinFast Navigator on our downloads page. You can then manually dial the COM port settings and test that the card is working okay natively. I'm really not sure how portable guide works, it maybe it's looking for something specific like a driver that it's not finding installed and then failing.
nicknick
Regular Visitor

I now have more info as I now have both (The LP just wasn't hacking it for walking, and I then dropped my HP with the card in it and it has cracked it)

The non-LP version I have is using Com2, but the demo prog defaults to Com4. It may be using com2 as the LP was using com2.

One thing that may work is to load the LP drivers, and then fit the non-LP card. Then remove the drivers (in remove programs) and try again.

Also a more user friendly Pretec front end (Pretec GPS Info 2002) can be found on the downloads page (or ftp://coneguest:@ftp.c1tech.com.tw/FAE_Support/CF_GPS/Demo/PPC/)

NN

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: