Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My 510 So Far.....And the Service pack?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My 510 So Far.....And the Service pack?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djmek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: My 510 So Far.....And the Service pack? Reply with quote

:D I just thought since its 2.32am, I would write something to read and possibly something to help 510 new users, like myself, although I'm "seasoned" now at 6 weeks. Laughing

This info may already be on some threads already, so excuse me for duplicating anything, this is MY story so far.......

I searched the internet and found this Forum, (The Best one in my opinion) Wink
My First interest in the forum was to find out about the Safety Camera Download and Install Instructions, The guys running this forum have done a great job of telling us where to get the files and more importantly, how to Install them correctly. I see a few people had problems using excel instead of Notepad.
What I never knew at the time was that the GB card that came with my Navman was more or less full, I never realised you could buy a blank SD Card with more MB, 256 in my case, and install the maps from your CD and then have LOTS more room to install all the Safety Cameras plus more.
I had it in my mind that only a Navman Card that came with the unit would work due to copyright or recognition etc.
After buying a SD 256MB card and installing the maps and then doing the cameras as per instructions from this site, thats side of things are great.
Finally on that subject, thanks to a few very patient guys giving me help and advice.
I read much more in the threads now before i post a question, also doing a search for a subject helps a lot.

The Service Pack Update for V3, I Installed this on my first navman510 and had "Some Sort" of problem (it kept on booting up to nothing all the time) i called Navman at the time and was asked a few questions and told to take the unit back to the shop i bought it in, they exchanged for a new unopened box with no quibble. I purchased the unit form a well known shop, they also sell bycycles, Smile for 499.99 after looking at lots of other brands in PC World maplins etc, 2 days later when i did the update was when it packed in, replacement was fine until i read the paper on Jan 2nd 2005 and saw the Shop SALE, they had taken £100 off the price only 5 or 6 days after i bought mine, i could have accepted 20 or even 50 quid off, but 100 was unbearable after just a few days, so I took it back and basically lied that this one was faulty too. A no quibble refund was given and I purchased the unit again for 399.99 saving 100 quid. (I did not have the cheek to purchase it from the same shop, or the brassneck)

Anyway, the unit I have now is perfect and after some trial and error on settings ie shortest route, less or more urban roads, Motorways etc, and just messing about with experimentation even on short journeys, its all i want it to be, if not more, because at time of purchase i did not know of the add on safety cameras and other add on POI's, i do now thanks to this forum.
I found out by doing a search on this forum i can get access to many POI's such as all Shell garages, or Tesco shops etc.

This brings me to my question, on my first returned faulty 510, and before i tried the update, I approached a roundabout with a left exit slip road just before it (top of castlemilk road glasgow) but the first 510 told me to enter the roundabout, my 510 that i use now does say keep left and bypasses the roundabout via the slip road, has this something to do with the update, maybe its already been updated ? does the service pack update the maps too?

I am basically nervous of installing the 510 service update because of what happened to the first one i took back after the install.
So any points or links to threads with any info would be a great help.

One Last thing, (Honest) I posted a thread on this forum about trying out a copy of someones USA maps to see if they would work in my unit when i go to florida in march sometime, I was much more curious than trying to rip off navman copyrights, Now i understand thats why you get CD's that are unlocked to your own navman unit, and i was offering to swap with anyone that wanted to, I now fully understand that this is piracy and totally agree with the mods removing the post and sending my an explanation of why it was removed.
The point being that what card you get with your Navman is what you have paid licencing fees for and if you want more countries you simply must pay for it.

I see on the navman site they have at last released the USA maps and I should be placing an order for them in February at 149.00, (would they be cheaper to buy in USA, and indeed can you buy them in the USA seperately from the whole 510 unit. Question

I hope nobody has fallen asleep during reading this post, and lastly a big thanks to the organisers and Mods on this forum, keep up the good work.
xnappo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: My 510 So Far.....And the Service pack? Reply with quote

Quote:

I see on the navman site they have at last released the USA maps and I should be placing an order for them in February at 149.00, (would they be cheaper to buy in USA, and indeed can you buy them in the USA seperately from the whole 510 unit. Question

I hope nobody has fallen asleep during reading this post, and lastly a big thanks to the organisers and Mods on this forum, keep up the good work.

Hell with the dollar the way it is just wait until you get here and buy another iCN-510 with maps. They are currently $329 at Fry's/Outpost.com, which is only 176 GBP!!

xnappo
djmek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about that, but to make it useful i'd need to buy the GB map to use it as a second unit here for most of the time.
cactusgreen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmek wrote:
I was thinking about that, but to make it useful i'd need to buy the GB map to use it as a second unit here for most of the time.

Where??? I just looked and they are $499 Why would you need to buy the GB map - if you have a unit with GB maps on use that in GB....
xnappo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops, you are right! Looks like the crazy $329 sale is over Sad

xnappo
breers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: service pack Reply with quote

I purchased the navman back in October and am really pleased with it to date - I too, like most, am still unsure as to what the best settigs are re the quickest versus shortest scale. It may sound a little stupid, but what is the 'service pack' When I purchased the navman it had everything pre-installed with the backup cd. Am I missing a trick here? I have downloaded the speed camera and it works really well, is there any other downloads for me to play around with - Can you download POIs for example and if so what can I download?
Breers
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Service packs or 'SP's are periodic software updates that are downloaded from Navman.
Take a look here for all SP's that are available, however it is better to check for updates via the Navman Desktop program. The 510 is currently on SP1.

Connect your iCN to your PC. Start Navman Desktop, click 'Setup', then 'Update Software'. Finally click 'Search for updates'. If an update is available you will be notified. Then follow the instructions.

If you want more POI's to play with, click on my 'www' button below.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
djmek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quick little add on, last Wed, My first long journey since i bought the unit, From East Kilbride to Aberlour, about 180 miles.
Programmed the unit to include Perth, Pitlochry, Avimore and Grantown on Spey on the way up to Aberlour.
Being fairly knowledgable of the area and route anyway, i was doing the first big test of the unit.
One thing i did'nt plan was to just programme Junctions and not the Cities and Towns themselves because it wanted to take me into the centre of each place i passed. So a quick lesson learned there. (not that i did go into the centre)
One Final point Aberlour, I've known of it for years and never knew its official name was Charlestown of Aberlour, so no wonder the ICN did'nt find it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: