Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - help with route planning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

help with route planning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: help with route planning Reply with quote

Can someone please advise on my planned route to Everton this Saturday Jan 29th. I will be leading a small convoy of cars travelling to watch my footbal team in the FA cup at Goodision Park Everton (UK) - full address.....
Everton Football Club,
Goodison Park,
Goodison Road,
Liverpool,
L4 4EL

The departure point is
65 Thorntree Gill
Peterlee
Co Durham
SR8 4SR (Thorntree Gill which is the oldest road in peterlee is not picked up by my navman - the closest point to this is 35 Eastfield)

I know the whole point of having satnav is for it to work out such details, but I am a little confused as to what my Routing Settings should be (as discussed in some detail on a previous thread - shortest versus quickest)
I am not sure if I should select the shortest or quickest route and am terrified of letting my colleagues down who are following behind in their vehicles, I keep 'bragging' of my new navman and do not want to let anyone down on this and arrive late for the game.
The directions below is the suggested route as displayed on my football clubs website, until I read these, I was plannng on driving to Everton via the M62 motorway - a completely different route to what has been advised. I am also unsure how to use the 'intersection' which I understand to mean go via A, then b, then C, I have tried this without any success. I would be most grateful for some advice on what route to take and more importantly what settings to use as the route below takes in motorways and urban roads. I still prefer however the M62 route as this is virtually all motorway driving and in theory - quicker?

Suggested route from Peterlee - UK
A1
A66 at Scotch Corner. Just before Brough pick up the A685 (signed Kendal). Pass through Kirkby Stephen and on to the M6, joining at Tebay (Junction 3 and heading south. Leave the M6 at Junction 26 and join the M58 and stay on it to it's end. Here there is a large light controlled roundabout where you should join the A59 (signed Liverpool). The A59 will take you past Aintree Racecourse and to within 200 yards of Goodison. Stay on it for 4.5 miles in total. The name will change from Rice Lane to County Road at the A5058 Ring Road, shortly after that you'll pass under a railway bridge and come across a KFC on your left. From here take the 5th turning on you left into Eton Street and the main stand of Goodison Park is straight ahead. Turn right at the ground up towards Stanley Park where there is council run parking.
Any advice would be most welcome
Regards
Breers
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I use the PPC version but it should be pretty much the same.

I input your start and end points and the route given is to travel south along the A19 and pick up the A1(M). Join the M62 and follow it all the way into Liverpool, then turn right onto the A5058 turning right onto the A580 Walton Lane. Turn into Gwladys St, then left into Goodison Rd. Eton St is 3rd right.

The route settings I use are:

Route
Quickest-----------X--------------------------------Shortest

Freeways
Min-----------------------------------X--------max

Obviously these are set for my preferences.

You also have an Urban Road slider which the PPC version does not have.
You will need to play around with them until you get what you consider to be the most optimum routing.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have perhaps also pointed out that even though your navigation device gives a specific route based on your preferred settings it may not always be the best route.

Local knowledge may dictate what the best route is hence why your club website advises to travel west and pick up the M6.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
breers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your comments Ian - most useful and appreciated, can I ask how I would enter the information you advised on (below). I can easily set a route for my destination (Everton) but do not know how how to enter start details - I am not sure if you can, or need to on the navman 510?? Also how do I enter via A19, A1(M) and M62 and then A5058 etc. I have tried this by attempting to place this information via the 'intersection' tab but it does not recognise the A19 for example - What I have successfully done is....
1-entered the postcode
2-the town
3- 'int of' goodison road (I think int is short for intersection)
4- at the AND box/tab is where I start to struggle - this is where I assume you plan your route via - say, as you suggest the A19, then A1(M). All I get at this stage is "no matching roads" most grateful if you could further help on this. I am really struggling to get to grips at this point. I am also aware that setting a route can be done via co-ordinates, but again I would not know where to start to utilise this feature.

in short how doi enter the following info (idiots guide)...........
input your start and end points and the route given is to travel south along the A19 and pick up the A1(M). Join the M62 and follow it all the way into Liverpool, then turn right onto the A5058 turning right onto the A580 Walton Lane. Turn into Gwladys St, then left into Goodison Rd. Eton St is 3rd right.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wish to force the 510 to take a particular route you need to go into Trip Planner.
From the Main Menu select Trip Planner. Tap Add, then specify a point on the A1, say near Bramham or Aberford. I'm not sure if you can display this 'via' location in map view on the 510 but if you can, drag the 'via' to a point on the A1 then tap 'Add to trip'. The software will try to navigate you to the exact spot so if you were to select Bramham for instance then drive past it by staying on the M1, the software will keep trying to navigate you back to it.
Enter your final destination the same way and make sure it is last in the list.
This should force the route via the A1(M) and M62.

Sounds complicated but there's nothing to it when you have tried it a few times.
You should be able to get similar results though by tweaking the sliders for routing preferences.

As I said, I have the PPC version which is slightly different but hopefully the above will help.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is actually a little different on the 510. You need to find a few places that you definately want to route through. In 2D mode, tap and hold the place and then on the popup menu tap "add to favourites". At this stage I normally rename it something like z1, z2, z3 etc. This is because I want all these 'favourites' to appear together and in order so they are easily entered into the trip planner.

Keep doing this for all the vias you want, then open the trip planner and simply add all the points in order. Don't forget to start with your home and end with the football ground.

You may still need to play with a few of the route settings but it should work fine.
flatsheep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Alternative Reply with quote

I have the V3 software on my new 510. For via points, in 2D map mode, I click the cross hairs onto a road where I want the via point to be, then click again for the popup menu, then click "Show Details". Next, I click "Add to trip". Job done. And you don't have to clear up your favs.

Hope this helps

D
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one of the handiest tips I've read so far - brilliant. I'm off to redo my trips!
enanjay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

Just to add to that tip, ensure that you zoom in to the road etc that you are using for the via point and click on it exactly otherwise it will be taking you round the block to get to the road next to it, i know, i've done it!
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and another tip on dual carriageways like motorways: zoom right in and make sure you highlight the correct SIDE of the road otherwise the 510 will take you back on the next roundabout 'cos it thinks you want to go the other way. Believe me, it does do it!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: