Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Other software?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Other software?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LT4play
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Other software? Reply with quote

Just curious, is there other software programs & maps that are downloadable and work with the 510?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that we know of. So far it seems to be a proprietary system.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's best to treat all the Navman iCNs as a closed system. Navman may release information for third party developers, however they're not obliged to as they've used a commercial operating system (Windows CE - almost certainly the base OS without Pocket PC on top) rather than the open source Linux used in TomTom Go.

David
LT4play
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here is my bone..
I just got the Navman iCN-510.

I am not impressed with the maps in my home town (Rochester, MN). It doesn't even have the streets to my house (2002 neighborhood), and the ones in the area of my house have spelling errors, misplaced POIs, etc.. {Yes, I did report to Teleatlas}
Mind you, I don't expect maps to be perfect...I know better than this. So don't lash out at me for that. Rolling Eyes

Anyways I called Navman today on this subject {see my other thread}..And they weren't very helpful (IMO).

They said they do get updates from Teleatlas (didn't specify frequency). However, it is more complicated that just burning new map data onto a map CD and sending it out to the consumer. That the data needs to go through development, to be "programmed".

They are not sure what Navmans future plans are for map updates. If there would an add-on package, if there wouldn't be new maps until V4. "but it will definately be on the product page when there is something available".

One of the things that led me to purchase the Navman iCN-510 is this software was included (verses having to buy add-on packages with the Garman / Magellon units -- as I understand it, anyways.) But now, I am not really impressed with this mapping. I am getting the impression that I can report my map error to Teleatlas, and I'll have to wait until 2006 & V4 (which will cost me $180+).

<rant>
Here is my dream: I'd like a GPS with software, that is maybe updatable yearly / half-yearly.. I am willing to pay money for the software in advance, if it provides me the "map update feature". I am willing to pay a nominal maintanence subscription fee yearly for the "map update feature". Am I living in a pipe dream? Is there any software / GPS combo out there that does this? It doesn't seem like it should be that hard..What am I missing? Question
</rant> Laughing
Icelus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my iCN510 a couple of day ago and I am having a similar frustrating experience not with the iCN but with the TeleAtlas maps. -I did report to TeleAtlas too-

I live in Miami, Fl and my neighborhood was built in 1999 however TeleAtlas map has not been updated and they are totally useless in the area. This type of error could be excusable, but what I think is absurd is that they have misplaced the POI location of the Miami International Airport. Exclamation If you follow directions to the MIA using the iCN510, you will end in the base of the Control Tower of the Airport.
icfan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Icelus,

I am from Germany and Ihave the same problems with the integrated POI's from Navman/Teleatlas like you.
But if I load down free overlays from internet like restaurants, prking places etc. then the position of the icon is near 100% lto the original position.

Icfan
Icelus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Icfan:

Thanks for your comment.

I would like to consider downloading some of the overlays. Could you recommend some web sites that provide this type of information.

Icelus
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LT4play wrote:
Am I living in a pipe dream?

Pretty much so. As long as NAVTEQ and TeleAtlas have a duopoly on street mapping data the vendors like Navman are at their mercy and need to do the charcoal dance between up to date maps and lower map costs. If you want good maps with regular updates you need to get a in-car system that costs ten times as much as your ICN.

About time for an open source, GPX based street vectorization project...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
icfan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icelus wrote:
Hi Icfan:

Thanks for your comment.

I would like to consider downloading some of the overlays. Could you recommend some web sites that provide this type of information.

Icelus

Hi Icelus,

I have my free overlays from the german website www.tomtomoverlay.de - but this ar only german POI's.
Search by Google under POI database and I think, you will find some free POI's for your country!

Icfan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: