Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bluetooth car kit or headset with TomTom?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluetooth car kit or headset with TomTom?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
datsunman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth car kit or headset with TomTom? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've just got TomTom Mobile and am really pleased with it, works really well. My next task is to get a bluetooth car kit or headset but I'm unsure as to which will work better in conjunction with TomTom.

I'm contemplating the Parrot CK3300 (I have subscribed to Traffic and have the update so am presuming the GPS part of the Parrot will work) but can't decide whether a headset (Jabra BT250 or similar) will be a better option.

Has anyone here used both and can anyone offer advice?

Thanks,
Dan
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to use a BT headset (Jabra 110) together with TTM but could not get it to work (phone calls do run via the headset) . Not sure if this is something that can be tweaked in the registry (basically the Smartphone needs to support the Audio Gateway profile)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
datsunman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, I was considering the Jabra 250 but if it needs fiddling to get it working I shan't bother! Think I'll just stick with not answering the phone in the car. Smile
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not the point. The Jabra will work just fine on its own. but you cannot use it tolisten to the TTM voice instructions.

There's another problem that I was unable to solve as of yet. On my Qtek8080 the BT GPS receivers only wokr if they are the only bonded device. As soon as I bond the Qtek with the headset the connection to the GPS gets lost. Anyone else experiencing that?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
pcb007
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am using the c500 with a jabra250 headset and Tom Tom mobile. They work fine together, the verbal commands as already pointed out though do not come from the headset but from the speaker phone which to be honest i prefer. Setting up is easy, the jabra was already paired with my phone and to be honest tom tom sorts it self out. They both work in conjuction together, if a call comes through the phone works as normal, though on the c500 you have take the screen back to the map, but the vocal instructions are muted till the phone call finshes.
TDK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the phone connected via Bluetooth to a headset and GPS receiver at the same time is a function of the Bluetooth stack in the phone. The Microsoft Smartphone OS supports this, but I am afraid to say that the Nokia OS does not. It's certainly not impossible as the Sendo X (also running Series 60) natively supports multiple concurrent Bluetooth connections, but I guess Nokia decided not to enable that feature in their version of the OS.

Consequently you won't be able to use a Bluetooth headset at the same time as navigating with TT Mobile (using the Bluetooth GPS receiver).
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of multiple simultaneous Bluetooth connections on the Nokia phones probably Nokia's Bluetooth stack on their phones and/or the Bluetooth hardware they're using.

Nokia have consistently failed to support multiple simultaneous Bluetooth connections on their phones, which, in these days of Bluetooth headsets, Bluetooth car kits and devices wanting GPRS connections such as Bluetooth Pocket PCs, laptops and similar, is becoming an increasingly awkward restriction.

David
datsunman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I have a C500 so for a change the Microsoft implementation may work in my favour!

Now I've just got to decide whether to go for a 'car kit' or a head set.. Smile
pcb007
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would go 4 a head set, at least you are sure you will be able to hear the caller properly & vice versa
ts86net
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and can easily move/use from car to car.
JRW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Parrot 3300 etc Reply with quote

I've had a Parrot CK3300 for about 3 months now linked up with an XDA2 running a copy of ALK's CoPilot. over BT.
Results;
1. The BT phone works OK although there were a few gremlins to start with. Sound quality is good.
2. The GPS and CoPilot works a dream BUT and its a big but - no way can I get the voice instructions to come out of the car speakers, it only comes from the XDA's comparatively feeble speaker.

The Parrot handbook says it should work OK through the car speakers with the phone taking precedence over any navigation instructions. ALK say the problem's not caused by their software, O2 (XDA) have never heard of the issue before and Parrot think its due to Windows on the XDA2!

Any techies out there who've cracked this one?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works as it does because the XDA's only support the BT Headset Profile and not the BT Handsfree profile required to pass the audio. It's a problem with Microsoft's BT Stack, the same applies to the MS Smartphones Sad
JRW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er.. thats a . Presumably in the fullness of time MS will get around to fixing this.
Thanks for the info.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's to hoping, FWIW, Widcomm is the BT Stack that supports the widest range of BT Profiles. Doesn't help much with an XDAII (I have one also) but worth knowing for future purchases.
JRW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed on the PPCW.net forum that the new XDA (XDAIIs) seems to have possibly got around the problem.
See http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=2210

Bit expensive though even if you can trade up XDAII to XDAIIs

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: