Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - icn510 connection?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

icn510 connection?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wavesportkermit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: icn510 connection? Reply with quote

Just bought a navman 510 and so far so good! Chose it after reading this forum, so thanks all for the indirect advice.

Question: When I connect the unit to my PC running XP, the navman displays a blue screen with a computer icon and navman icon, connected by a cable with a pulse between the two suggesting a passage of data. Is this correct or should this screen change after a period of time?

What is the safe way to disconnect the unit? At the moment I can't turn the unit off when connect to the computer, and can only pull the cable out to disconnect them - this can't be good? After disconnecting them this way, the navman displays the start screen of a picture of a vehicle and the road in front, then loading maps, then does the user agree to the following terms etc, etc.

Any help would be great.

wavesportkermit
RichardN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wavesportkermit (where do people get these names from? :D )

Don't worry, you are using your system correctly. The blue screen is just an animation to show that you are connected. It is not actually showing any movement of data just that the connection is there. It doesn't change at all.

As far as pulling the lead out, this is also OK because it is using a USB connection which has the data pins longer than the power pins and is designed to be put in and out while the two ends are powered up. Because of the shorter pins the power is cut before you disconnect the rest of the system (at least I think this is what it is for Smile ).

This is the same as using any other USB kit like printers or cameras. You can just plug them in and out as you like (yes, I know you should tell Windows to disconnect them but it is a safety check rather than a neccessity)

Finally, the system does a reset when it detects that you have pulled out the lead so that everything is set up correctly after you have been making changes such as maps or POI's.

Richard
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB is indeed designed to be "hot plugged", but unless I'm very mistaken you've got the pins the wrong way round - the power pins are longer than the data pins so that they make contact first, allowing the device's bus transceiver to be powered up when the data pins make contact.

David
RichardN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David

Yes, you may be right about the pins. I had it that way round when I first wrote that message and then thought I had it wrong and changed it Embarassed

Well, whichever way round it is Wavesportkermit can relax and enjoy his Navman Smile

Richard
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed so!

David
wavesportkermit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reponses to post Reply with quote

Thanks for the reassurance that I was using the connection correctly, and not being stupid Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: