Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Converted POI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Converted POI's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jelster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Converted POI's Reply with quote

I have spent some time today converting a few of the Tomtom overlays into CSV's and then loading them onto the Navman. Really handy that.... So I now have all the UK fuel stations (quite handy when your bike only does 110 miles to a tank!) and also have the motorsport venues as well.

However, the one I really wanted was the "Little Chef" POI as we often meet other bikers at such places but I just can't get the thing to work. I have converted it to a .CSV, edited it in Notepad, then saved as "chef.csv". But I get the "No POI's found in input file" . I even replaced all the spaces in the description field to _ just to see if that made a difference.

Anybody else had a problem with this one ??

icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually started to convert some of the TomTom overlays a while ago.
What we need is a place where these Navman compatible POI's can be stored for easy download like the TomTom ov2 files are, therefore eliminating the need to continually convert them.

The question of a Navman POI page like the TomTom one was raised some time ago but no answer was given.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is the problem Question I thought that all of the transfer problems had been sorted out and that there was no need for a Navman version of the database.

Richard
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're on about other POI databases, Oldie, which currently only exist in .ov2 format.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oldie,

The reference is to the POI overlays found here and not the Gatso files.

Obviously the ov2 files need to be Navman compatible .csv files to enable them to be loaded into smartSTv3 incarnations.

As the first paragraph states - Currently these are available in TomTom Navigator (OV2) format, but will be made available in other formats in months to come - I suggested making Navman overlays available alongside the TomTom overlays and started to convert them.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jelster.

I have just converted the "Little Chef" POI.
I have converted it to a .CSV, edited the first line out in Notepad, then saved it again. It loads up OK via POI Editor and the icon is displayed.

If you successfully converted the others then there is no reason for the Little Chef overlay not to work unless you did something different.

Try converting it again but if you still have problems with it I could send it to you if you PM me.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

On a completely different note...

I noticed you are talking about the Little Chef POI file. This was created some time ago and Little Chef have recently been closing down restaurants left right and centre.

Having recently spoken to someone who works in our local Little Chef, it seems that this is going to happen all over the country.

I have started work on creating a new, more up to date POI file with the now-closed restaurants being taken out. However there are hundreds of them in the UK, so this is going to take some time. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, just to let you know that if you come across a lot in the POI file that are no longer there in reality (particularly around the Northampton and Warwickshire areas), don't panic - this is something that will hopefully be corrected in the near future.

Regards,

Bo Peep.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys wrote:
Hi Oldie,

The reference is to the POI overlays found here and not the Gatso files.

Obviously the ov2 files need to be Navman compatible .csv files to enable them to be loaded into smartSTv3 incarnations.

As the first paragraph states - Currently these are available in TomTom Navigator (OV2) format, but will be made available in other formats in months to come - I suggested making Navman overlays available alongside the TomTom overlays and started to convert them.

Thanks icsys. It was the safety camera files that I was thinking of. If you export an OV2 file to an AutoRoute CSV file using my POIConverter then all of the redundant spaces will be removed but you will have to do a global edit to remove the string ," " from the end of each record. Normally the Information text would be between the quotes but the TomTom OV2 files only have a Name.

Richard
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oldie,

The final ,"" don't need to be removed as they aren't read by the POIEditor. The only line which needs removing is the top one Long, Lat, "Name", although it's possible that this can just have a semicolon placed before it instead.
RichardN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the error message that Jelster mentions in the original post and it was caused by there being no "" marks around the third field (the name or whatever).

The excellent website (mentioned elsewhere in the forums) that allows you to make POI lists of businesses in the UK outputs its .csv files with these quotes missing so it's possible that that's where Jelster got his/her info.

The simple answer is to edit the file (removing the first line as usual) and add all the quotes.

Richard
royroy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: convert tom tom POI Reply with quote

How do you convert TomTom POI to navman CSV, I am new to all this having just purchased my navman 510 Question .

I have downloaded the speed cameras and they work just fine :D

It is the underground stations I would like to convert Rolling Eyes

Please help me :o
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: convert tom tom POI Reply with quote

royroy wrote:
How do you convert TomTom POI to navman CSV, I am new to all this having just purchased my navman 510 Question .

I have downloaded the speed cameras and they work just fine :D

It is the underground stations I would like to convert Rolling Eyes

Please help me :o

Go to this page and download Oldie's POIConverter V3 (the fourth download). Use it to open the .ov2 file and resave it as a.csv file. Then do what you need to do to make the .csv file compatible with Navman's POIEditor.
royroy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, but I must be thick, When I try to save the file ther is no csv save, what have I done wrong.

I am sure with everybodys help I will get there
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you select "Save" then the Save File box appears. At the bottom of said box, the "File name" box is usually filled in with the name of the open file, highlighted in blue. Below that is the "Save as type" box which again normally shows the type of the open file. Click on the Down arrow to the right of the "Type of file" box and select AutoRoute Pushpins (*.csv). Then click "Save and all should be OK. Did you install Oldie's programme to the default directory, by the way?
royroy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say, The only extensions in the drop down box are :

Ascii poi
binary
smart path
gps exchange (gpx)
gps exchange (xml)

The programme has no other extensions. Sorry to be such a problem, do you have category below beginer for navman.

by the way Happy new year to all
:D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: