Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Backup battery in a 9531
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Backup battery in a 9531

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DT2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Backup battery in a 9531 Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Destinator gps, wich is the same as a Leadtek 9531. I've bought it second hand, but from the beginning the backup battery never worked. Whenever I removed the mouse from the power supply it would go back to the default settings (Sirf, and I need NMEA because it works better with TomTom). Not a big problem, because I always left it plugged in. But now I have a new car which does not power the cigarrete lighter when the engine is not running. So I decided to open the thing up and replace the battery. But since I've done that I don't get a fix anymore. It is connecting and I see NMEA data but the quality of the signal is never enough to get a fix. At first it didn't even show the correct time, but after about two hours that started to work. I thought that it was just like a first-time initialization but it's been connected for hours and still no joy :-(
I've left it in my wife's car for the night (in her car the lighter does work without the engine running) so hopefully tomorrow morning things are back to normal. Did anybody ever replace the battery and see the same thing?

Oh, the only possitive things is: it now remembers the settings. Thumbs Up
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've been unlucky, I've had a Leadtek 9531 since July 2002 and haven't had any battery issues. It could be that you've disturbed something when you opened up the GPS, or that the battery you've put in is of a higher voltage.
DT2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strange. This morning all was fine in my wifes car. But back in my car I don't get a fix, even with the gps outside on the roof. So the only thing I can think of is that my car does not give enough voltage/amperage or something. At the office I tried a couple of other cars, the result is:
Seat Toledo, Volkswagen Golf (both modern TDI's): fix within a minute, even with the gps in the car.
Porsche 944, BMW 3 series, both over 15 years old: no fix, even with the gps on the roof.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be it's not chucking out enough voltage, or it could be the fuse is tripping.
max81max
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Backup battery in a 9531 Reply with quote

DT2 wrote:
Hi,

I have a Destinator gps, wich is the same as a Leadtek 9531. I've bought it second hand, but from the beginning the backup battery never worked. Whenever I removed the mouse from the power supply it would go back to the default settings (Sirf, and I need NMEA because it works better with TomTom).

How do you set it to NMEA? By the GPS settings when you choose the brand and connection type on your pda?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to use something like WinFast Navigator, follow these instructions.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: