Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - motorbike mounts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

motorbike mounts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
titusni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XJR wrote:

I work down in Reading and decided to go to the GPS warehouse and buy the RAM mount and cradle. I too have been told that the power/audio cable will be on the market soon - I'm needing this to hook up to my new Autocom system (bloody expensive tour!!!).

I know the feeling - I just bought an Autocom plus a Quest, the Garmin Quest bike mount, and a RAM handlebar bracket.

The Autocom's fitted now - just need to hook the Quest up to it. Its a pity that the Garmin bike mount bring out the audio as a 3.5mm socket right next to the mounting bracket - I'd assumed it would have been on a long lead like the power cables. I gues I'll have to connect a 3.5mm plug flylead to it and waterproof the connection...

This is all going onto my Vmax trike :-) Pics at http://www.oldcolo.com/~bradley/trike/ if you're interested.
dandywarhol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like the idea of the lead being exposed so I fitted a 3.5 jack into the power plug/speaker.

The mono jack is similar to an HF82D from Maplins but encased in plastic and soldered into the speaker circuit. The jack has a break when the male jack plug is inserted and cuts the power to speaker and diverts it to the jack. This way you can control the volume by the switch on the casing and from the Quest.
A mono/stereo 170 lead from Autocom supplies the feed to the Autocom AVMS box............the lead into the box is longer than standard to enable both helmet speakers to play.

Works fine Smile

XJR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.............so if I post mine to you you would do the same to mine.......at a cost of course Wink
xander
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Quest Pin-out Reply with quote

dandywarhol wrote:
Anyone know what the 5th brass connector on the Quest unit does??.........extreme right is live, next earth , other 2 speaker

http://www.elsinga.net/212.html

FAQ: what is the layout the Quest connector?
The connector on the back of the Quest is not very well documented. Most of us hook it up to the car cradle, to get audio prompt while driving. But what if you want to connect a small ear bud for use on a motorcycle?

The connector on the back has six terminals. When looking at the back of the Quest, with the antenna and USB connectors at the top, going from left to right, they are used like this:

[o] +5 Volt (the conversion from 12 Volt to 5 Volt is done in the speaker piece)
[o] 0 Volt / Ground
[o] Audio out, enough power to drive an earphone, adjust the volume by holding the speaker button
[o] Audio out
[o] NMEA NEGATIVE which is data receive
[o] NMEA POSITIVE which is data out
The audio out works, even when no external power is connected, so it is possible to use an earpiece during battery powered operation.

Source of the NMEA terminals is Garmin Support. If anyone has more info or had it working, please let me know!
dandywarhol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that................obviously Ihave problems counting past 5 Embarassed

An update on the modified speaker plug as shown on a previous post - The autocom 170 lead, which I was assured would give me mono instructions in both speakers.................DOESN'T! A call to Autocom confirmed that the salesman was talking shite and that an additional %6/57 screened box of tricks would be required.....an additional £24 thank you very much 8O .The screened box is only required if the Autocom unit is powered by the bike's 12v, as the unit I've got is self 9v powered then all you have to do is flash a bit of solder between the tip and second insulated ring on the stereo plug and the job's a carrot :D
XJR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, I had a fantastic trip to Slovakia-I hope yours went well too. Thanks for the modding work.......it worked a treat mate Wink
dandywarhol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear it went well Willie.........my Autocom box f*#ed up on the first day, went silent after 5 mins and recovered if I pulled out the 5 pin connector and refitted it :x After a short period I found that I didn't really need the audio.........no matter how sexy she sounds!

Quest went well but a lack of mapsource maps of Croatia was a pain......great for finding fuel stations but why no campsites??? Maybe GPS users only stay in hotels 8O

Biggest concern is the tiny scratches on the screen which seem to appear no matter how careful you are with the lint free cloth and optical fluid - doesn't seem to affect the screen clarity...........yet! any tips about screen covers???

Thanks also to Skippy for helping me with V7........I eventually got a version from Garmin and like you, let someone else get the use of it Smile
dandywarhol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem was that verdigrease corrosion on the power terminals after heavy rain caused corrosion spots on the Quest pick up terminals - in really hot weather the Ram cradle seemed to distort enough for the 12v connection to be lost momentarily - enough to switch of the set without noticing it Crying or Very sad Switching the quest to remain on all the time on self power sorted the problem but the cradle shouldn't distort so easily - should it? No problems on colder climates. cleaned the terminals and smeared a drop of vaseline (not that I carry it with me y'understand Wink ) onto them and seems ok.
XJR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did notice that the further east we rode the less accurate the Quest became (Bratislava was a tad frustrating!!! the unit was trying to put me accross fields Confused).
I didn't experience any probs with heat even when it was 40 deg when we visited Prague 8) nor any corrosion probs after being caught in thunder storms in Germany Sad
I too have noticed a few marks on the screen even though I have been very very careful when cleaning it Crying or Very sad
I'm off on a short tour of the Highlands tomorrow (4 days) so I'd best go and pack 8)
Thanks again.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky B'stards. Not Worthy
XJR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.........anyone who spends 12 days getting fantastic tasting beer for 30p a pint is a lucky b'stad Laughing
I'll defo be back in the Ceska Republica next year 8)
locksmith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the quest with RAM mount, battery powered. How long can I expect the battery to last? The last long trip I did (pre quest) was around 9 or 10 hrs across to Germany. Would it last as long as that in navigate mode?.
So far have only used it navigating in the dark and the way it lights up for the turn signals is excellent, dont need audio in the dark thats for sure!
dandywarhol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used mine self powered for over 6 hours and the battery level was still around 1/3 left locksmith
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

locksmith wrote:
How long can I expect the battery to last?

With the battery fully charged and the backlight turned off I've seen 16 hours continual use but with very little battery left after. With the backlight on max it started to struggle after four hours. There is also temperature to consider - the battery will last longer when warm, less when cold.
XJR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..........just found this on Ebay. Item number 5806613570. Bargain (at the moment).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: