Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - motorbike mounts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

motorbike mounts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MotorbikeMike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: motorbike mounts Reply with quote

Guys, RAM Mounting UK http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/index.htm apparently fit nicely with Garmin Quest GPS device to a motorcycle. Does anyone have experience of this they can share with me? I will be mounting the kit on a Honda CB F 500.

Thanks in advance

Mike
Ratty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this mount doesn't look like it comes with any wiring options, does it?

The new mount from Garmin looks far better, with a power feed and 2.5mm audio out jack
Ratty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Garmin mounting solution:

The link below is for the garmin quest mount from a stateside supplier
http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/2828.1.12711066826082722176/questcradlepo.html

the link below is for a UK supplier, althouh detail looks sparse
http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod2392.html

the mount is not a complete solution, you still need to buy a fixing bracket to mount to the bike to afix the garmin mount to. I'm not sure of a supplier of the fixing brackets. I'd like one to fix to a r1150rt if any one else has done the research?
Ratty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget the UK link above, it's not for the Quest.
MotorbikeMike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ratty, sorry, am a bit puzzled. I would need a RAM mount right, in order to get the gps receiver on my handlebars. Is the link you sent for the purpose of connecting the gps kit up to the battery of my bike and to get the audio out working?

Cheers

Mike
Ratty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link you posted details a carrier to accept the quest and a separate RAM post or arm to fix the carrier to the bike. If you don't want to power the quest from the bike or pipe the audio into a speaker or headset then you're good to go.

The US link I posted shows details of the new Garmin carrier which can be wired to the bike to give 12v power and carry the audio away. As with the link you posted it still needs a mounting solution to fix the carrier to the bike.

I intend to buy the Quest, Garmin carrier, and RAM mount to fix the unit to my R1150RT and pipe the audio into my Starcom intercom and then into my helmet headset. That is, if I can find a UK supplier.

IMO, on a bike, it would be too easy to miss a turn if you only relied on visual prompts.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratty wrote:
IMO, on a bike, it would be too easy to miss a turn if you only relied on visual prompts.

If you do a lot of riding/touring or you already have an intercom then it would probably be worth wiring up a speaker and power, but I would see it as a nice to have rather than an essential. I use my GPS on the bike without a speaker most of the time and it is always running on batteries.

You do have to keep a sharp eye on the "distance to next". It also helps if the GPS switches the backlight on when you approach the turn because it gets your attention.
Ratty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, pragmatic advise from Skippy. On reflection, I do tend to get a bit anal about these things.
DanGleebitz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratty..

I have PM'ed you about a source of Modified Quests ..

I have a BMW R1100RT and am looking for a mount similar to that on the EBBO site ... http://www.ebbo.org/

If you find anything... please PM me

Mike

Ratty wrote:
The link you posted details a carrier to accept the quest and a separate RAM post or arm to fix the carrier to the bike. If you don't want to power the quest from the bike or pipe the audio into a speaker or headset then you're good to go.

The US link I posted shows details of the new Garmin carrier which can be wired to the bike to give 12v power and carry the audio away. As with the link you posted it still needs a mounting solution to fix the carrier to the bike.

I intend to buy the Quest, Garmin carrier, and RAM mount to fix the unit to my R1150RT and pipe the audio into my Starcom intercom and then into my helmet headset. That is, if I can find a UK supplier.

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanGleebitz wrote:
I have a BMW R1100RT and am looking for a mount similar to that on the EBBO site ... http://www.ebbo.org/

Hello and Welcome

Have you looked at Touratech mounts? They are a beautiful piece of work, but very expensive at about £60. http://www.touratech.de/shop_uk/en-us/dept_426.html

You can get a RAM mount for about £25
MotorbikeMike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well guys I took the plunge and got a Quest unit. Fantastic! The mount I am getting is RAM-B-149ZA (ball mount) from www.ram-mount-uk.com [supplied by http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod2393.html]. The cradle RAM-HOL-GA15 however is unavailable till the end of the month Sad

Does anyone know please where I can get a RAM-HOL-GA15 [http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod2393.html] from sooner than this?

By the way, on a different note, when the quest is delivered, is it delivered in demo mode i.e. must you still install the map software supplied before all the addresses etc. are searchable?

Cheers

Mike R
rice_smuggler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the purchase of your Garmin Quest MotorbikeMike. I too purchased one and will be picking it up sometime this week - my use will be in my car, my motorcycle (2004 Yamaha R6) and for the GF since her sense of direction isn't the greatest. I contacted Garmin about their motorcycle mount and they said it wouldn't be available till about February 7th. Garmin's kit will include a bracket and barewire power/audio cables to hardwire to the battery. I'll be using this in conjunction with a mirror mount called a M-Stand on the R6 since I have a steering damper installed on the triples and can't use a stem mount along with some other RAM parts to fit my application. Those Touratech's are pretty sweet but hella expensive but if price isn't a factor I'd def. get one of those.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotorbikeMike wrote:
By the way, on a different note, when the quest is delivered, is it delivered in demo mode i.e. must you still install the map software supplied before all the addresses etc. are searchable?

Probably, yes.

The retailer may install the maps for you and get the but more likely you will get a unit with no maps on it and no GPS almanac data. It's not a big deal to set the GPS up. If you are riding/driving to the supplier to collect it then you may want to ask them to preinstall the maps and get the first fix for you - otherwise you can do it yourself.

You will get a Mapsource CD with the maps on it which you install on your PC. You should get City Select v7, if not then ask Garmin about a free upgrade to v7. You also get an unlock code for a single region (UK/France/Germany etc) that you have brought or maybe an "All regions" unlock code with gives you all of Europe.

The GPS will have a "Basemap" which is a rough map of some major roads and towns in Europe. It is not very detailed and can be off by 500 meters or more so you have to load the Mapsource maps for the regions you will be navigating in.

The UK is about 130 Meg, your GPS should have 243 Meg available. You can select small chunks to upload, you can upload just the South East rather than all the UK for example. Choose your maps carefully, if you want to change the maps you have uploaded then you have to upload the whole lot again. Confused

If the retailer hasn't already done it for you then you will need to take your GPS to an area with a good view of the sky and wait for it to aquire the almanac data (satelite orbit information). This takes about 5-10 minutes and you only have to do it once. From then on it should start up and get a fix in about 45-90 seconds with a good view of the sky.

Enjoy!
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Mine worked straight out of the box. No need to load anything. Just switch it on and away you go...
MotorbikeMike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine too, but there are some streets it didn't have preloaded, like my own street. I was indoors, searching for my own street but it didn't come up in the search. It was on;y when I went out to the garden and triangulated that the device picked up my road. Am still a little confused about this. I will try reload the maps and see if this fixes the problem. I want to get to the bottom of it so I can search for a steet I might want to go to, without having to find it, then do a 'where am I?' search Confused

In fact, I'll so this tonight if it isn't bucketing rain, then post my findings. I hope I amn't barking up the wrong tree here and confusing people.

Cheers

Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: