Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Question about highway exits
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about highway exits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Question about highway exits Reply with quote

Hello!

Although I have been reading this forum for quite some months now, I didn't have any questions - until now.

A friend of mine is using TomTom Navigator 2. I played with it around and I like it very much, hence I'm also planning to get TomTom Navigator.
Now, to my question: For driving around in town TomTom was great. But whilst driving on the highway, it told us to exit the highway, but not in what direction. Often there are big highway exits, with 3 or even more possible directions where you can exit. And I need to know which exit I have to take in order to arrange to the corresponding lane.
So my question is if the latest tomTom tells you to leave highway XX in direction YY or if it doesn't? If it's able to show that I'll definitely buy it, I already own the Holux 270 CF Ultra, but without special software.

I'd be glad if somebody could tell me about this!

Thanks

pyro
georgeCASE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi pyro,

IMO, tomtom navigator, or any other navigation software, should be treated like a smart guide. The driving still falls upon you.

Anyway, current versions of TT, aside from telling you via voice prompt to "exit ahead", it also shows you on the display what exit you're supposed to take (either exit number or exit name). In that way, you can read the signs miles before your exit and plan accordingly.

For multi-exit scenarios, TT will tell you to "keep right" or "keep left" which clues you in as to which exit you're supposed to take. Still, one must still reference to the signs posted and treat tomtom as a guide only. Doesn't make sense to cross three lanes of traffic to go to the leftmost lane when all three leftmost lanes lead to the same path. Smile

Hope that helps.
pyro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgeCASE wrote:
hi pyro,

IMO, tomtom navigator, or any other navigation software, should be treated like a smart guide. The driving still falls upon you.

Exactly that's my point.

georgeCASE wrote:

Anyway, current versions of TT, aside from telling you via voice prompt to "exit ahead", it also shows you on the display what exit you're supposed to take (either exit number or exit name). In that way, you can read the signs miles before your exit and plan accordingly.

Of course it shows the number, that's what it's supposed to do. But one exit (at least here in Germany) often has various directions at one exit, e.g. 4 lanes and 2 of them lead to different directions but in order to know which one I have to choose I need to know the direction, so I want my navigation software to tell me: Leave highway at exit X, Munich (or whatever city is near).

georgeCASE wrote:

For multi-exit scenarios, TT will tell you to "keep right" or "keep left" which clues you in as to which exit you're supposed to take. Still, one must still reference to the signs posted and treat tomtom as a guide only. Doesn't make sense to cross three lanes of traffic to go to the leftmost lane when all three leftmost lanes lead to the same path. Smile

Yes, and exactly that's the problem. Whilst driving around in the area I live it's no problem, but if the signs offer me 2 directions with city names I haven't ever heard I don't know which one is the correct, and I don't have time to look up the cities while driving. The problem is the exits split only few hundred meters before the exit, so it are only some seconds where you have to decide where to go. It wouldn't be a problem if TomTom would show some cities' names where the road you're supposed to enter does lead to.

georgeCASE wrote:

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your information, I'll see if I can try TomTom out one or two times more! Maybe I'll get it then!
Maybe someone else here has an opinion about this?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not look at the navigator screen, TomTom shows the road layout ahead and your route on these roads? I would have thought where there was ambiguity this would show you where to go? I find the graphic more use than the audio on complex junctions.
pyro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Why not look at the navigator screen, TomTom shows the road layout ahead and your route on these roads? I would have thought where there was ambiguity this would show you where to go? I find the graphic more use than the audio on complex junctions.

Thanks for the reply!

As I couldn't try it out that long I'm not sure how detailed this view was, probably your right. The good news is I could borrow TomTom with PDA from a friend because I'll start a 600km trip tomorrow! I'll come back 28th December, if you want I can post my experiences here then Smile Anyway thanks for all the information so far!
georgeCASE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aah, thanks for clarifying your situation pyro. I've passed through a couple of exits like what you described. And yes, it does get a bit hairy when that center divider is coming at you fast and you're still deciding whether to go left or right. Smile

I wouldn't rely on the voice prompts as they are both late and slow. I look at the screen and the big arrow which tells me to stay left or right. Other than that, it's always nice to have something that will re route you in case you take the wrong fork.Smile

Good luck on your trip.
pyro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, again!

Tried it out on my trip and I have to admit I was very statisfied. With only voice prompts it's a little bit hard, but with a glimpse on the screen it's fine Smile Excellent 3d view! I'll also go for TomTom. Now I just have to search if there are better POI databases, but this isn't that important for me. Actually when I searched for MC Donalds I just found one 100 kilometres away :P

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: