Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Memory-Map Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory-Map Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dottythe90
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Memory-Map Questions Reply with quote

Hi

Just started playing with my newly acquired Mitac Mio 168 and Memory Map OS 2004 - so far very impressed with both H/W & S/W.

If you don't mind - a few questions to the resident experts.

- How do I turn off the red vector lines on the PDA display ? I discovered a post earlier this week explaining how, but now I can't find it.

-Is there any way of saving part of a map on the main PC ? I live right at the edge of OS Area 2 so want to merge my local area with portions of Areas 1, 3, & 4. My PC isn't incredibly powerful and it takes ages to merge whole Area files

- Apart from the Help files is there a downloadable manual anywhere (PDF format ?). Finding topics in the Help files isn't easy sometimes and even when found they sometimes seem simplistic, not having full details.

- What format maps do I need to get them to import ? I have downloaded some USGS 1:24000 maps of Connecticut (.SID format), but can't get Memory-Map to recognise them

Thanks
STEVE
Wingnut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I assume you mean the current speed vector line (singular). Tap and hold the current position marker and select properties. Set vector scale to zero (I guess).

2. I wouldn't try merging large areas anyway. You can save the visible areas you want, to the PC then merge them. I've not always been that successful merging but have not been too bothered to pursue it.

3. Don't know.

4. You can save scanned images as TIFF with only 256 colours, then calibrate using GEO TIFF Examiner (See today's other posting from me for more on this).
Dottythe90
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that

I can see how to download the visible portion of the map to the PDA, but how do you save it to the PC ?

The USGS maps, I hope are precalibrated (as I have the 2004 OS edition I can't calibrate my own anyway). The review of Memory-Map 2004 says that these maps can be imported and used, but I don't know what formats to look for.

STEVE
Wingnut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you proceed with the Download Visible you get a dialogue box that asks where to put it on your PDA AND gives you the option of 'Downloading' it to you PC instead.

Sorry, I don't know anything about USGS maps. But I do know you can calibrate you own images using GEO TIFF Examiner and show them using MMN 2004 OS on both PC and PDA.
Dottythe90
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that

I was successful in importing USGS maps last night, it was a case of finding a source of decent quality TIFF scans for the area I was interested in.

I eventually found them on the University of Connecticut site, but it was confusing. There were geo referenced scans produced by the University itself which were basically crap - large parts of the maps were blurred. Further down the page was an identical geo referenced scan from USGS itself which was much better. I was able to import them into Memory-Map and merge them.

STEVE

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: