Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 231 desynched!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

231 desynched!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pelrun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: 231 desynched! Reply with quote

I took delivery of my shiny new 231 today... and promptly desynched the BT and GPS by trying to change to sirf.

I thought this was a bug that only affected older 230's!

It's not just that it's set to some weird baudrate either - I've tried using Sirfdemo's synchronise feature to autodetect it, to no avail. All I get out of the connection is garbage.

Now I'm going to have to waste a lot of time building a serial cable to try and fix this. Boo, Holux! Evil or Very Mad
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I want to try it (!), but how did you get it to de-sync? I have freqently changed between SiRF and NMEA modes using Bluetooth and the TTN3 GPS applet, and it's never failed... It just seems to cut over to using the a different protocol automagically.

J
pelrun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know. I just changed to sirf, then the app I was using (on a Zaurus, not a PPC) crashed, then that was it.
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some other problem?

J
pelrun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see what else it could be - if it was just set to an odd baudrate then I should have been able to lock onto it using sirfdemo on my PC. But every combination just gives off a different kind of garbage and nothing recognises it. Thanks anyway.

(and to add insult to injury, one of the rubber feet somehow got lost as well! I'm not having a good day...)
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The de-link feature was part of the original batch of GR-230's. I haven't had a later batch of GR-230 so can't comment on whether it was truly fixed. I haven't tried this on the GR-231, but the way to de-link it was to change the protocol from NMEA to SiRF and to change the baud rate at the same time. So if it's sitting on NMEA 9600 and you used an application like WinFast Navigator and selected the SiRF tab, changed the baudrate to 57600 and hit OK, then it would try and switch the protocol and baudrate at the same time and de-link itself from the Bluetooth module, and the only way to resolve this was to use the optional cable connected to a PC to manuall connect and switch it back.
moutonlambda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pelrun,

I have exactly the same bad experience : first day I receive the GR231 worked fine with tomtom navigator and other softwares, till I connected to the PC to play with sirfDemo...

Ouch !!! Now I see octets of garbage, sometime displayed as "bad sentence" (when it starts with a dollar symbol), on the com connection.

I suppose I siwtched to sirf and 115200 bauds, but I dont know exactly what I did. I was "playinng" with sirfDemo.

I did not managed to get the settings back to something normal.

I think about doing a firmware upgrade via the data cable, or only a change settings with that cable.

My question is : do U know how to build or buy this USB data cable ? Is it standard USB cable ?
gpsmonster_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The cable in the box with the GR-231 is just a sync/charge cable (usb to mini usb); you will need a seperate data cable in order to use it as a Mouse or to switch the protocol type.
This cable costs around 14.99 on the Holux UK Website.
Good Luck :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: