Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot Smartphone patch/upgrade to 1.0.1.46 available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot Smartphone patch/upgrade to 1.0.1.46 available
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
njsb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: CoPilot Smartphone patch/upgrade to 1.0.1.46 available Reply with quote

I have spotted and downloaded the latest patch/upgrade for CoPilot Smartphone to get to version 1.0.1.46.

You can check your current version on the smartphone by clicking on Menu -> Help -> About. mine was the original version from the quick install card.

Details of the upgrade can be found at
http://www.alk.eu.com/support/copilotlive_smartphone/updates_patches.asp

It seems that they have added nicer icons to the add stop screen and they have added an option to 'pick from map' I think this is for selecting a point on the map, that Dave had previously mentioned was coming.

Please note after doing the upgrade you will need to enter you product key again, so have it ready.

IF YOU ARE USING AN ORANGE C500, you might want to do the Orange C500 Upgrade first (I have listed this in a seperate message), as the Orange upgrade wipes the phone and you need to re-install CoPilot.

njsb
carlwi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've downloaded and installed this on my e200 and the install went smoothly. Had to re-enter the product key and co-pilot started up fine.

As it resets the live settings, I re-entered my username, password and screen name in the settings and restarted. After a couple of minutes (the phone is set to send position every five minutes) a error message popped up saying that my username and/or password were incorrect but it then connected OK and was visible on the desktop PC application and the web site.

It appears that the message now pops up after starting the app on the phone but everything still works OK if i dismiss it. Another strange problem is that the desktop app now shows its own screen name as a mobile device and I cannot seem to get rid of it.

I thought I'd start again from scratch and deactivate the software and re-install just in case i'd done somehting wrong. De-activated the software OK on the phone and went to the activation web site, enetered product key and deactivation code which immediately failed with a message saying that the deactivation code doesn't match the product key?

Luckily I have sprite backup so restoring a old backup has be up and running again but witout the patch.

I'll email ALK to see what I can do but something went badly wrong during my upgrade.

Carl.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: CoPilot Smartphone patch/upgrade to 1.0.1.46 available Reply with quote

njsb wrote:
I have spotted and downloaded the latest patch/upgrade for CoPilot Smartphone to get to version 1.0.1.46.

It seems that they have added nicer icons to the add stop screen and they have added an option to 'pick from map'

Thanks for the heads up!

Hmm, so it adds pretty icons but the program still crashes when trying to calculate routes. Rolling Eyes

The pick from map is poorly done, it shows a "tool tip" style popup below your cursor which is irritating because it obscures the part of the map you are trying to look at. I would prefer that it put the location name at the bottom of the screen where it was out of the way.

It looks like they have improved the satellite information screen though, which is nice. It would be better if the line spacing of the font they used wasn't so close that the bottom of some of the letters was cut off though!

At least they are working on it.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running 1.0.1.46 for a while now. There are still a few issues with MAlloc errors (I'm seeing these now), but you should now have a nice new option called Pick-A-Stop to allow you to browse the map and physically pick the location you want to navigate to! :D
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I have been running 1.0.1.46 for a while now. There are still a few issues with MAlloc errors (I'm seeing these now), but you should now have a nice new option called Pick-A-Stop to allow you to browse the map and physically pick the location you want to navigate to! :D

The pick a stop feature is nice, but I think it should show the location at the bottom of the screen (like Mapopolis does) rather than as a tool tip which obscures the exact part of the map you are trying to look at. 8O

I upgraded to the new version of CP, but it managed to crash my smartphone so hard that it wouldn't reboot - it would just hang when I tried to take the battery out/in and reboot. In the end I had to "hard reset" the phone which blew away everything on the phone and reinstall CP.

Now I get a message that CoPilot was "not digitally signed with a trusted certificate" an the phone won't run it. I am going to application unlock the phone again, but I am puzzled as to why CoPilot worked yesterday but not today.

I put in a support call to ALK about the frequent crashes and they helpfully suggested that when my phone locked up, I should take the battery out for 30 seconds then switch it on again. Good advice, but I already did figure this out for myself. Rolling Eyes I am not sure how I am supposed to do this when I am doing 70MPH having missed my motorway turnoff causing the phone to recalculate and crash.

What I really want to know is if and when they are going to fix the problem with the software crashing. I have had it for 6 weeks now and it has never worked for more than an hour without crashing. Should I try and return CP Smartphone for a refund or stick with it and wait for them to fix the problems?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me that you either have upgraded to SP1 on the SmartPhone, or you've got conflicting DLL's from other system applications that are causing a problem here. Running CoPilot on a virgin C500 with a few apps installed like ewallet, listpro, screenshot, tomtom all work fine and I've only had a couple of Malloc errors, no hard crashes and none where I take the battery out and it hangs at that point.

It sounds to me like you need to do a complete hard reset, only install CoPilot and see how this goes for a few days and see if you get any lockups, then add back any other apps you may have installed and see then if you get any problems.

Regarding returning for a refund, technically you can only send something back if purchased in the UK under the Long Distance Selling Laws within 7 days. Some retailers and manufacturers will extend this, or give a refund due to inherent problems experienced, but they don't need to under UK law.
fozzie63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put the update on my C500, with no probs. Unlike others, it didn't ask me to re-enter my reg code. Selecting stops from the map is a very useful addition. It's good that you can give them a custom name, unlike with the desktop app.
stuartm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
What I really want to know is if and when they are going to fix the problem with the software crashing. I have had it for 6 weeks now and it has never worked for more than an hour without crashing. Should I try and return CP Smartphone for a refund or stick with it and wait for them to fix the problems?

I'm in exactly the same situation, I've contacted Global Positioning Systems today to try and get a refund, we'll see what happens. It's not a case of returning it because I don't like it, I want to return it because it isn't fit for purpose.
spacerace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, there shouldn't be any problems if it simply isn't working properly.

you must be very unluck tho, or have a piece of software that absolutely conflicts with it, I've been running it for about 2 weeks now and it's only every crashed on me once.
stuartm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had a polite "Get stuffed" from Global Positioning Systems, they are saying maximum 14 days and suggest I ask ALK about the problems.
spacerace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh well so much for that theory. I guess not fit for purpose "for some people" isn't good enough....
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartm wrote:
Well I had a polite "Get stuffed" from Global Positioning Systems, they are saying maximum 14 days and suggest I ask ALK about the problems.

Let me know how you get on with ALK. I am considering returning my CoPilot - it just crashes too much and has too many bugs for me to take it seriously as a navigation system.
stuartm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Let me know how you get on with ALK. I am considering returning my CoPilot - it just crashes too much and has too many bugs for me to take it seriously as a navigation system.

Well ALK appear to have woken up at last, I've just had a call back from them and spent half an hour going through the crashes/bugs that I'm seeing. Wait and see I guess although the advice to turn my phone on and off once a day and the 'take out the battery' trick whilst useful to know aren't things that I should have to do.
carlwi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're lucky you managed to get any response from them. I've been trying to sort out a license problem which appears to have been caused by the latest upgrade for days now and they don't even bother replying to any emails I send. The annoying thing is I get read receipts from individuals at ALK so I know they are reading the mails within minutes of me sending them.

After being a TomTom user for a couple of years now I'm getting to the point where I think I made the wrong decision in opting for Co-Pilot (my reasoning was that I didn't have a TT Bluetooth Receiver and didn't want to pay for the software and a new TT GPS)

Evil or Very Mad
Venompeter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another change with the new update seems to be that its much better at recognising the GPS over Bluetooth, if you have the GPS and phone out of range of each other for a few minutes they will find each other again when they come back in range which they wouldnt do I before.

I used to have to exit co-pilot and restart or go to options/GPS to do this previously.

I find I sometimes have to switch the GPS unit (ALK supplied) on twice to get the bluetooth light to come on on it- is this a common thing?

Peter

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: