Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Memory Map Selections 1:25k
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory Map Selections 1:25k
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Memory Map Selections 1:25k Reply with quote

I see that the memory map selections 1:25,000 have appeared on the memory map website. I have been waiting for these for ages and ages and I'm surprised that I didn't receive any notice that they had been launched. Perhaps I missed a MM newsletter or something???

Anyway, I'm a little puzzled as to how they work. You buy a package for £80 odd and then you plan a route which they create a map for. You can have up to 2500sqkm in your selection but does that mean one portion of map or several small portions up to the limit? How do you work out how much either side of your route they include? How do you work out the volume of your chosen route?

It doesn't seem very clear and I wouldn't be too happy if I paid £80 to find they'd left out bits that I wanted.

Matt
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh. I've discovered support forums on the memory map site.

Seems you can have up to 2 areas for your £80 and the route is an enclosed area with edges as the route. The area is displayed in route properties.

Rolling Eyes
PaulBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt - Hi you mention above
Quote:
Seems you can have up to 2 areas for your £80 and the route is an enclosed area with edges as the route. The area is displayed in route properties.

The Forum at MM is "slow" so I wondered if you could tell me ...
How do you select the bit(s) of map(s) that you want ? Is there some "master map" you can view or something (I couldn't spot anything on the MM site)
Sorry for being thick Confused Paul
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not being thick at all. It took me a while to work it out. You basically use the route feature of MM on any existing map you might own to draw a circular route around the area you want. Using the route properties dialog box you can see the size of the area enclosed by the circular route. When you buy the selections package you can buy up to a certain area. You are allowed up to 2 enclosed areas per order so you need to make sure your 1 or 2 areas use up you allowance. You then export the 1 or 2 circular routes and attach them to your application form and the MM people then post you a CD with the map(s) on. Hope that makes sense!
Matt
PaulBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt - that sort of makes sense now Confused
Is it obvious when you mark your desired area how much you area you have within ? as I understand you are allowed 2 areas of a certain size ?
I have the SE England map (where I live) How much more detail (if any) would be on the Map Selections type map ?
Finally (thank God he says!) If selections are made from their UK Road Map I presume Ireland & NI aren't available ? If not is there anyone else you know who does a compatible map that covers Ireland & NI
Paul ;)
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Paul,

Well the circular route is clearly marked over the map you use and you get everything within the 'circle'. I'm not quite sure what you are meant to do if you don't already own a 1:50k map of that area. If the edge of your circle is near a critical bit and you only have a 1:250k map then you might be advised to bring the edge out so that it definitely covers the bit you want just to be sure. I suppose you could always get the critical coordinates from streetmap or similar.

The 1:25k maps are IMHO offering better and more accurate maps. I find the 50k maps to show discrepancies which have been discussed in another thread. I haven't checked the accuracy of the 25k maps but I do prefer the extra details. I think there are sample maps on the MM website you could use to check.

Don't know about Ireland/NI maps I'm afraid Crying or Very sad

Cheers,

Matt
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Memory Map Selections Reply with quote

I am thinking of getting 1:25,000 scale map from Memory Map. They have been helpful when I've phoned.

It works this way.

You buy a 'empty box' for £79.95. It contains the full GB road map 1:250,000.
You mark out ONE route showing an area of upto 2,500 sqKm or as large an area a you like in multiples of 2,500 sq Km.
Send in the map (by e-mail I belive) with the route and they will make up the 1:25,000 map & send it to you on a CD.
You get the 1:250,000 road map free.

If you want a larger area then they cost (at present)

2 areas £149.95
4 areas £249.95 (not worth getting 3 areas at approx £220.00)
Approx £50 for each additional area.

From the infomation I've been given

ALL areas MUST be connected, can be of any shape & if you require additional areas at a later date you will have to merge them yourself (may not be a seamless join) whereas if you one large block (4 areas =10,000 sqKm) they will join them and the join will be seamless.
TigerMoff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few points on the above post.

The route is not emailed it is uploaded to the server.

You can have up to three areas which do not have to be connected.

You will not be able to merge the selections maps together as the boundries are not set like they are in the Landranger maps.
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TigerMoff wrote:
Just a few points on the above post.

The route is not emailed it is uploaded to the server.

You can have up to three areas which do not have to be connected.

You will not be able to merge the selections maps together as the boundries are not set like they are in the Landranger maps.

You will be right on the upload, to the server.

You are correct in what you say about 3 areas that don't have to be connected when you buy a single selection.

The information I was given from MM sales was that if you were buying more that one selection at one time the they had a special price as shown in my previous post but that in order to benifit from the offer then the 2 or 4 SELECTIONS areas had to be connected. As the 3 areas from one selection is fairly new option (cutting software was recently upgraded) I am not sure if it applies to the discounted multi-selection purchase. It did not at the time I enquired (or asteast I was not told). A good offer for anyone who wants to purchase more than one selection, as far as I know it is not availible from retailers (only from MM themselves). Hope this makes my previous post clearer.
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS to the above.

I was told that it would be posible to merge the maps (MM sales) but aditional selections bought at a later date would have to overlap slightly. Please confirm with MM sale before you attempt to purchase using the info. given as it may be subject to change and IS ONLY availible when buying direct (GlobalPositionalSystems.com were not aware of this offer when I contacted them).
Bonga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]
You mark out ONE route showing an area of upto 2,500 sqKm or as large an area a you like in multiples of 2,500 sq Km.
Send in the map (by e-mail I belive) with the route and they will make up the 1:25,000 map & send it to you on a CD.
2 areas £149.95

Do you know whether this is possible to buy the 'empty box' from 3rd parties like gpsonlineshop.co.uk and then get the additional areas at this reduced rate or do you just have to call MM and say that you want this from the start? Also do the above prices include the aerial photography or just the standard 1:25,000 maps without?

Many Thanks, DJ
Bonga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2 areas £149.95

Do you know whether this is possible to buy the 'empty box' from 3rd parties like gpsonlineshop.co.uk and then get the additional areas at this reduced rate or do you just have to call MM and say that you want this from the start? Also do the above prices include the aerial photography or just the standard 1:25,000 maps without?

Many Thanks, DJ
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can buy third party but I believe the price is similar (unless you know differently). It is now possible to mark 3 unlinked areas per selection rather than one big one but limit is still 2,500 sq k.

The multi-selection discount was only available direct from MM but check by phone before purchasing as it may have changed by now. They did tell me it was only 1 area for the whole multi-selection but that may also have changed, again check with MM first.

£79.95 without AP. £99.95 with AP.

Discount price quoted was without AP (again at the time, please check first).
Bonga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for that. I phoned MM and they advised the same about the prices. They also state that to get the additional 2500m2 areas it can not have the aerial photography included. This is fine as I just want a big block really of the North East from the Moors through to the dales with the bits in between.

Since speaking with them I had been wondering whether the 1:25000 and the 1:50000 Aerial photography is the same for both scales as I doubt they will have sent a second plane up for a different scale or used a 2nd sweep with a satellite. The thinking is that the demo version (swansea) seems the same and the maps seem to sync perfectly well. If I where to buy the 1:50000 middle of britain (areas 3-8) which has the aerial photography would this be the same as the 1:25000 maps and thus could buy the large area (4x2500m2) without AP and all would be the same with relevant linking and synch.

Any Ideas anyone?

Thanks, DJ
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aerial photography is the same scale at 1:25000 with whichever product you buy

The original aerial photography will have been at a far greater detail but it is the digitisation and compression that restricts it to 1:25000 in the Memory Map product. Other businesses will sell you the really detailed photography but it costs a fortune.

All different scales and types (photo, charts, stree maps etc) of Memory Map work well together and you can scale in and out at the same point without problems. This ranges from the 1:600,000 GB map to the 1:7040 City Centre maps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: