Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CF GPS aerial for HP2210 - hiking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CF GPS aerial for HP2210 - hiking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimonH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: CF GPS aerial for HP2210 - hiking Reply with quote

Hi folks
I'm new to these forums but having been browsing the site for some time. I've been through the hardware reviews but was after a few other opinions Smile

Basically, I have an unused HP2210 that I would like to adapt for use as a handheld GPS for hillwalking. I have TTN3 bluetooth setup on my other Ipaq but it's just a bit of pain using the BT aerial, handheld. What I'd like to do is setup the 2210 purely as a GPS with a CF aerial and if possible a waterproof cover and a battery backup of some sort.

The software I'm using is Memory Map's Ordnance Survey 1:50,000 maps - I want it use it purely for location rather than routing and the MM software seems fine for this (tried it with my TT BT aerial).

Can anyone recommend a CD GPS aerial then? I was thinking of the Haicom 303s or possibly a Fortune PocketXtrac. I want to optimise battery life where possible.

Is it possible to get a battery backup for iPaqs? They're pretty power hungry and it would nice (!) to have a backup when "lost" in the wilds Smile

Thanks
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try something like a Haicom HI-303MMF, but it makes the setup hard to ruggedise, and the iPAQ's battery has to power both the Pocket PC and the GPS if you use a CompactFlash GPS.

About the best you can do for such a setup is put the whole lot in an Aquapac.

There are battery boxes available that plug in to the base port of the iPAQ - that may be an option. Another option would be to get an extended battery for the iPAQ.

David
semrots
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second the above.

I have a 2210 with Haicom 303e, primarily used in the car, but i did use it walking (strolling Question Wink ) on holiday, with Memory Map.

It worked fine. Battery life on the Ipaq was circa 2+ hours. I had a battery box which worked fine, when needed, but it makes it a bit bulky. To keep it dry I had bought an Aquapac, but that doesn't make it rugged! If you follow this route make sure you buy the right sized Aquapac. The 'standard' PDA one won't take the CF card as well (or at least the Haicom version) I got a bigger one from them direct. Their site has all the details and sizes, sadly this was too small to accomodate the battry box as wellbattery box. Thats too small in length as I hadn't allowed for the plug length on the battery box.

I do beleive when I was looking a options that Otterbox make a version designed to take a CF attachment, so that might be worth pursuing, as that would make it resonably rugged, but not sure if you could get a battery box in there as well.

Rod
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe the Otterbox CompactFlash attachment allows for something as large as the 'top' part of a Haicom HI-303 series GPS - but it may be worth checking.

Thanks for the post of your experiences - it made an interesting read.

David
SimonH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much gents, most informative. I've plumped for the Haicom and the larger Aquapac bag. I'll see how I get on! Thanks again :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: