Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Holux CR-100
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Holux CR-100
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Holux CR-100 Reply with quote

I have been talking a lot with Holux recently and something I have had to keep 'under my hat' for quite some time is a new car cradle they have been designing, and I'm glad I can now show it off in all it's glory!

The Holux CR-100 is a 4-in-1 device. It's a Car Cradle, a Powered Car Cradle, a GPS Receiver, and a Loud Powered Speaker!

Several companies recently have been making similar mounts, but one thing that always strikes me is many of these mounts always feel cheap (hollow plastic).

What I wasn't ready for is how small the device was in the average sized box. The CR-100 is tiny, and it's built as solid as a rock but isn't heavy. That contradicts virtually all laws of physics.

The full review is available here.
Grahame
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Holux mount test Reply with quote

This sounds ideal, just one thing that isn't clear though - can it take an external GPS aerial feed? Both my cars have treated windscreens and my iNS/Navman sleeve will not get a good enough signal for practical use without a roof-mounted aerial.

Cheers,
Grahame.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CR-100 doesn't have an external antenna socket, however if you do have an Athermic coated windscreen then for around £45 you can purchase a Re-Rad-45 that will broadcast the signal from outside the car to inside the car, but will require another accessory socket in-car.
istvan24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie here!

The CR-100 be available for Dell PDAs from friday apparently - am going to get this to replace my GM-210.

Holux UK also said that there will be provisions for an external antenna in the second release of the CR-100.

Fantastic site by the way! I have used this (in lurker mode) to gen up on my old 3400 navman, my present choice, the GM-210 and now my next purchase, the CR-100...THANKS for all the info!!!!
:D
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see I've managed to pull you out of 'lurker' mode Wink Also nice to hear you like the reviews and have chosen previous GPS on that basis.

The CR-100 is great, small and does the job really well, I don't think you'll be disappointed!
istvan24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume it should perform better than the already great GM-210? I don't suppose you tried it with TomTom 3 perchance? I was worried that it might not be recognised as it won't be on the list of known GPS modules.... Question
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works well with TTN3 and CoPilot Live 5. You just select the NMEA 0183v2 4800 driver COM1.
gilbem1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good review, many thanks !

Is there the opportunity to vent mount the unit ? Also would the unit & therefore the GPS receiver benefit from being hard wired to a power source in order to ensure the receiver is permanently locked to a signal for a 'fast' start ?

Thanks again !
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good questions! Currently there is no vent mount, but the cradle is fairly light weight and I can see no reason why it couldn't be mounted off a vent mount, just that there are no current solutions to do that, but I'm sure someone can rig up a solution.

Continually powering the cradle will only stop you having to acquire a 1min fix when you start your journey so it's really not saving much time and also draining more power from the so personally I wouldn't hardwire it, but I know a lot of people prefer to do this with BT GPS's.
sjaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, loved the review and am going tp purchase one of these just for the blessing of better sound.

One question if I may please, you mention that there are interchangeable bases available for differing PDA's do you happen to know which ones come with the device.

I have had a look on their website and there is little to no description about the device and nowhere does it ask what PDA you currently own.

All I have to do then is find someone to buy my trusty etrex vista off me :P
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm told there will be interchangable bases to support the most common PDA's, so I would hope that it will cover most of the PDA's that Holux cover under their normal GM210 cable selection. I don't have any info whether these are available now though but I'll try to find out and see if these are user changeable.
himpressive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjaddy wrote:

I have had a look on their website and there is little to no description about the device and nowhere does it ask what PDA you currently own.

Have a look here: http://www.routeplanners.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=191&products_id=713
Some specific PDAs are highlighted. Smile
himpressive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
Thanks again for such an insightful review!
I own a Tungsten T3, can you please advise what GPS software will be compatible with the new Holux offering?
Thanks.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Unfortunately the current CR-100 only currently supports the:-
- IPAQ 2210/4150
- XDA/XDA2

and is available here.

In theory other connectors will be created in the near future. What you'll probably be better with though is a Bluetooth GPS, like the Holux GR-231.
KJS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, Thanks for the excellent review which made up my mind up to get one.

All arrived safely from Total PDA. As you say this is compact but exudes quality. Up and running very quickly and works as it should with good signal and loud clear speakers.

Just one question in my instructions it says that the gps light should flash green when it has a fix, mine flashes orange - what did yours flash?

Regards

Keith

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: