Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO screen protectors review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO screen protectors review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But do they actually reduce the glare?
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon1 wrote:
But do they actually reduce the glare?

Yes, and you can actually get tinted acetates, like tinted glass

Far cheaper than those "professional" protectors.
_Dom_
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GingerNut, how do you apply the acetate film to the TT ? (ie how does it stay on the screen ?)

Cheers
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Dom_ wrote:
GingerNut, how do you apply the acetate film to the TT ? (ie how does it stay on the screen ?)

Cheers

Same way as the "Professional" made ones.

It works in a similar way to clingfilm
richardhurst
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might sound silly but i just left the film on it that came with it and that does the job perfectly!
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardhurst wrote:
might sound silly but i just left the film on it that came with it and that does the job perfectly!

It's not silly Richard,

Why pay out for something, when it comes with a piece of film that does just as good.

Profiteering i call it.
tomcat76
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardhurst wrote:

See my original post near the beginning of this thread... did exactly that.
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomcat76 wrote:
I have not seen the reviews of this protector, nor do I know how good/bad the anti reflection is but 10 quid seems an awful lot of money for a small piece of plastic, though some will say it costs a lot more to replace the screen, I simply removed the protective plastic that came on the Go originally, cut it to shape and refitted it job done!
Now all I need is the TT go case.... still waiting Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Is this the one Tomcat,

Like you say £10 for bits of plastic is daylight robbery.

I think i'll start selling plastic cocktail sticks at £8.99 for two+two free, and market them as, "Touchscreen Protector Probes"
tomcat76
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingernut777 wrote:
tomcat76 wrote:
I have not seen the reviews of this protector, nor do I know how good/bad the anti reflection is but 10 quid seems an awful lot of money for a small piece of plastic, though some will say it costs a lot more to replace the screen, I simply removed the protective plastic that came on the Go originally, cut it to shape and refitted it job done!
Now all I need is the TT go case.... still waiting Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Is this the one Tomcat,

Like you say £10 for bits of plastic is daylight robbery.

I think i'll start selling plastic cocktail sticks at £8.99 for two+two free, and market them as, "Touchscreen Protector Probes"

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

£10 is a lot, but some will say that it not only cuts down on the glare but it protects the screen from damage. I remember a few years ago when I was paying around £19.99 for 3-5 sheets of a PDA screen protector.

If people want to use stylus for instance on the screen, or have long nails then the screen could scratch. What's the cost to replace the screen ? Basically a new unit because TomTom or other companies won't be able to replace the screen for a cheap fee (like many find out on an iPAQ screen replacement of around £150-250).

It's the same with insurance. It's a protection. You pay the money to protect yourself, and if you don't, you take the gamble.
buckmstr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought the Covertec TTG cover. It arrived withiin a couple of days of my order (from Widget) and I had no problem installing it.

The view of the screen is a vast improvement on the "native" TTG screen. Driving in bright sunlight, the view was hardly different whether in shade or with direct sunlight on the screen - and I was looking at it thorough sunglasses too!

At £10 at bit pricy perhaps but in terms of reduced irritation at not being able to see the screen in broad daylight, priceless! :P
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently fitted a Writeshield Anti Glare screen protector to my TomTom.

Available from Expansys:

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=112501&asource=108344

Very easy to fit, no bubbles, removable and washable (if needed)..... the TomTom display is now much clearer in full daylight (I drive a convertible so reflections were quite annoying). If the reflective screen annoys you its definately worth £10-£15 for a decent anti glare screen protector.
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact if anyone wants an online £5 discount (on a £20+ order) from Expansys I have a voucher code if anyone wants it.

First person to PM me is welcome to it as I don't plan on buying anything else from them before the voucher expires.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of WriteSHIELD AG - I've used it on both my Pocket PCs for in car navigation use. Expansys are the UK agents for the manufacturers.

Rather than just buying the 'shield' (which you may get away with ordering, but you're really not supposed to) you're better off buying the complete kit, which was what was linked to. That way, you get some 'picks' to lift the corners of the protector (useful for removing it for cleaning), some bits and pieces to clean the screen before applying the protector, and the instruction leaflet. The one item not supplied that you need for proper cleaning is Scotch magic tape (do not use ordinary clear tape!).

If you buy a Deluxe kit you get a spray bottle of some excellent LCD screen cleaner (which I use on my flat panel monitor and laptop screen as well) and a microfibre cloth to use with the spray. It's not cheap - but is excellent quality and it's long lasting.

A WriteSHIELD AG Deluxe kit is not cheap - but I believe well worthwhile. There is a newer WriteSHIELD C2 product which is supposed to be more transparent, but it's not anti-glare. I'd stick with WriteSHIELD AG for in-car navigation.

There's a WriteSHIELD AG on my iPAQ h3970 which has been there for about 18 months. That Pocket PC was used heavily up until last week - but with regular cleaning with the 'deluxe' spray and cloth, I've never had to remove it to clean it, and there's no noticeable scuffs or scratches despite heavy use of Fitaly. I put a WriteSHIELD AG on my new iPAQ hx4700 immediately after peeling off the protective film HP stuck to the display (which you can't leave in place - there's writing all over it), and I'm not disappointed.

David
nich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: reveiw of screen protectors ttg Reply with quote

Having bought the ttg screen protectors, i found them,
a: very expencive for what they are.
b: not at all easy to fit, in fact i have not been able to get all the air bubbles out & the edges tend to not seat properly.
c: on a recent sunny day the glare was as bad as with no protectors on. If there was a cheaper alterative i would try it first and save my money.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: