Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SmartST Version 4 Wishlist
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SmartST Version 4 Wishlist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

32. Improve map and voice instructions...
a. Why tell me to turn left when the map clearly shows the route is straight on?
b. Why send me down a dirt track when there's a perfectly good road to use. OK, I'll get there just the same, but my car is going to be much cleaner staying on the road!
Having said that, for 99% of the time the instructions are very good and I really don't know how I've managed without this box of tricks for so long. Great product, but there's always room for improvement.

33. Make the summary window and text bigger (the one accessed by tapping the circle bottom right of the map screen). I'm getting on a bit and the eyesight is going and I really can't read this useful info whilst driving.
doden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

34. Get rid of that silly joystick. Give me buttons on the map screen that allow me to return to the menu, zoom and change views.

35. Provide exit program option from menu screens. Why do I have to go to the map to exit?

Please note: last few 'wishes' posted by someone who's only had his PiN for 2 weeks and hasn't used it yet for a 'real' journey. They are based on impressions gained by a new GPS user pottering about his local area. Overall impression very good and I would recommend it, but it's not the most user friendly piece of kit.
doden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

36. Allow full postcode. 5 digits doesn't narrow it down enough. + having entered a postcode seems difficult to get rid of it if wanting to enter an address instead. Many roads don't have property numbers..this could be improved.
anglefire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doden wrote:
27. Provide easier switch from day to night screen, preferably with button on map screen (I find the night screen still too bright with the backlight on min). Actually I can't see the difference between the day and night screen, so similar implementation of this feature as the Tom-Tom ie. dark background with stars in the sky! (should I have mentioned TT on this thread?!)

Whats wrong with looking at the time of day - and where the unit is and doing it automatically? Optionally of course!

Website

The answer is 42. Now what is the question?
doden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark
I'm afraid I didn't understand a word of that!! Are you saying that there is a way to automatically adjust screen brightness, depending on the time of day? Still doesn't explain why the night/day maps appear to be the same.
anglefire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mark
I'm afraid I didn't understand a word of that!! Are you saying that there is a way to automatically adjust screen brightness, depending on the time of day? Still doesn't explain why the night/day maps appear to be the same.

No what I'm saying is that the unit should be able to work out where it is and then using some formula it can work out screen brightness/different scheme - someone suggested stars at night!

It can't do it now, its all manual.

I find the current night display long winded to get to - and not much better - the screen brightness needs to be turned down.

Another solution is to have a light senser on the unit and do it from that - it would solve the problem then of being in the house or bright street lights.

Website

DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many iPAQs have a light sensor for automatic backlight level when on battery (automatic is not available on external power). I'm not the only person who finds the behaviour of the automatic backlight utterly annoying - I never use the feature on either of my iPAQs.

A system where you can choose the backlight level for different scenarios - day, evening, night - with the software choosing the appropriate setting based on your position, the date and time may have merit. I'd suggest not wishing for light sensors though!

David
TheDoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

37) Option to Automatically switch map view to next turn page view when within 500-1000 feet from the next turn. (My old streetpilot did this and it was very useful) Seems daft to have to press the page button while changing gear and steering round junctions !

38) Longer 12V charger lead. The original in the kit was taught between my 12V socket and the unit (partly due to socket being under drivers arm rest, no incorporated in dash like most cars, therefore nearly strangled myself a couple of times initially !
Jeevan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that some of these may have already been mentioned but i thought i would include it just the same. Maybe Navman will consider it more seriously if they see it twice?! :D

a) Junction numbers on motorways
for example, on the M20 travelling to dover, junctions 5 and 6 are right next to each other and when it says 'Exit left', you are not exactly sure what turning to take unless you go to the birdseye view map, and zoom right out until you can see the red line going onto the A229, which is junction 6. This is while driving!

b) Better descriptions
i.e. when you are at roundabouts or t-junctions.
if they say second exit at roundabout (which is 'B2035' on the roundabout sign, and it says 'A25/Godstone Hill' on the 510, it brings confusion. so i guess what im asking for is more unity with road signs.

I have noticed this when on the M23 joining the M25. It says 'Exit left', but which exit do you take: towards Heathrow or towards Dartford??? Again you have to zoom out to check!

c) Missing directions
Sometimes it tells you to take the second exit at the roundabout when you are on the motorway. It misses out the fact that you need to exit of the motorway first, then take the second exit.

I've noticed this on normal roads too when for example they split off and you need to keep right and then keep left (in Godstone hill) - it misses out the fact that you need to keep right first, which obviously sends you down the wrong route and has to recalculate?!

d) Full postcode search!

and finally

e) Please revert back to NavTech map data!
The inaccuricies of teleatlas really let it down.

also, surely these can be sorted by future service packs rather than having to wait for V4?
UpAllNight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Automatically go to the next turn screen when you are close to a turn
CRH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be useful if the font size could be changed on destination selection lists. Items nearly always go off the screen. If for example I enter Station Approach, this is what is listed:

STATION APPROACH, ABBOT...
STATION APPROACH, ADISH...
STATION APPROACH, AMER...
STATION APPROACH, ANCAS...

...and so on.

If I put in Station Approach Road, London, I get:

STATION APPROACH ROAD, ...

Not very helpful. This applies to any list and in many instances is not very easy to guess what is off the page.

An alternative (or even complimentary) approach would be to have a horizontal scroll bar.
CRH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 (I think). Save "where I am now" as a favorite.
anglefire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

41 (?) Under the next turn icon is the distance to next screen, so the large display which you can cycle through for distance to next turn, speed, time to go etc, can be left where ever you like - it would be nice if it would revert to distance to junction as you got near to it, then revert back to the previous display once passed the junction.
42. Same principle, as you approach a junction switch to the detailed junction page, then back once passed.

Mark

Website

icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRH wrote:
40 (I think). Save "where I am now" as a favorite.
You can already do this.
Tap and hold the stylus at your location. From the pop-up menu select 'Add to favourites'
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
icfan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

43) A better POI Editor for more Information of my own pois like postcode, phonenumber so that its look like the integrated pois of Navman. And a possibility to edit the integtrated pois from Navman.

Icfan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: