Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - COPILOT 5 UK ROUTING
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

COPILOT 5 UK ROUTING
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its something of a theory of mine. The balance is all wrong with the shortest route. It seems to be confused and mixed up with quicker route(road!) and cobbles together a very poor compromise. Its pretty basic hough and a tad more than tweaking will fix for the whole country rather than a trip by trip basis

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topgazza said that it will take more than

Quote:
tweaking [to] fix for the whole country rather than a trip by trip basis

However, there is no way of telling in advance what will happen with 30% avoid this kind of road, 80% favour that, etc, which means it is necessary to pan and scroll over the entire route to see the effects of tweaking even for an individual route. Although waypoints do not work well in CP 5, they, not tweaking, are there for the purpose of tailoring individul routes.

That leaves tweaking with no real use of any kind.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A more succinct description but essentially my meaning. In a way waypoints are tweaking of course but you have to do an awful lot of waypoint picking to force a route the way you want it.

Tweaking is like a bit like cutting your toenails because you shoes are too tight when the real answer, of course, is get the correct size of shoes that you've paid for.

PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topgazza, I still don't think I have got my point across.

The logic of tweaking in CP 5 is completely confused, so it will not achieve the equivalent of cutting your toenails. A nearer analogy is turning the volume up on the radio, or feeding the dog a new type of food, and expecting THAT to make your shoes fit better!!

While writing, could I come back on xda's point about American vs European routing needs. The fact is that there is no need for routing logic to be any different wherever one is. A shortest route is a shortest route. What a user needs, whether in America or anywhere else, is to know that setting Shortest will produce shortest routes, and Quickest quickest routes.

For truck drivers or others who want to avoid particular kinds of road, the additional facility is needed to enable such roads to be excluded, and to cause the programme to adjust its calculations accordingly.

This is the logic that ALK have got around their necks. It seems that they imagine that their "tweaking" scales allow users to do what I describe, and to produce useful, infinitely variable routing characteristics. Furthermore, the forum team, and probably ALK also, believe that this tweaking can be used to the flawed Shortest and Quickest routing caluclations. The apparent assumption is that routing is like making a casserole, and, therefore, that it makes sense to set CP 5 to add a little of this type of road and remove a bit more of that. This is complete nonsense, but it seems that the very existence of the tweaking facility leads people to believe that it must work. It does not, and it never could. Please see my earlier posts on the subject for fuller details.

I apologise for the repetition, but these points are crucial if there is ever to be progress.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CORRECTION

In the above post, I meant to say that there was an incorrect assumption that tweaking would correct the flawed Shortest and Quickest routing calculations.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno. I tried feeding my dog new food but CP5 STILL didn't route better. My shoes still don't fit me either although I appear to have less money than before.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: