Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Don't buy Navman from Halfords
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Don't buy Navman from Halfords
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fleng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Don't buy Navman from Halfords Reply with quote

Halfords have an agreement with Navman that they (Navman) handle all the 'after sales' for Navman products. This means that if your unit fails - even on the day you bought it - you will not get a refund. The unit will have to go to Navman for service/repair/replacement. This was confirmed by the store staff and by Halford Customer Service who said that 'they had the right to repair any faulty item and that certain electrical items were exempt from consumer legislation'. The store manager agreed that this policy violated current consumer legislation but said that 'it's company policy'.
Also, Halfords will soon be selling the icn 650 at a penny short of £1000. Navman quote the retail price as 'approx £799 including VAT'.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The store manager agreed that this policy violated current consumer legislation

No item is exempt from consumer legislation (not even second hand items bought from a store) and the store manager was right to agree.

I'd like to see them fight this in court!
I would report the store to your local Trading standards.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of retailers are taking policy now that Navman or other manufacturers take on the after sales support for the unit. However you are within your right to request a refund under consumer law (replacement or refund).

If Halfords say they will not talk to you about this and you need to go direct to Navman then Navman should tell Halfords to issue you a refund if that's what you require.

That's how I understand it.
fleng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys and Dave are both right and Halfords are wrong, but it's distressing to stand in a store with a £500 lump of dead plastic in your hand and be told that 'it will have to go back to Navman for their opinion/repair' or whatever.
My 510 went queer after 3 days - it started giving instructions 300 yards late and the menus were taking 1 to 5 minutes (yes - minutes) to change. Navman initially authorised a return for repair but then said the problem was 'demonstration mode' was selected. Queer, this, as demo mode is the default. The unit was reset and worked until next day when it started failing to redraw the maps as you scrolled around, and then it came up with a menu offering to reset the machine but it was frozen on this menu. After two days I did get my money back but it was a time-consuming and embarassing experience.
Stiil, Halfords had the answer - a £4 out of date atlas!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try a soft reset or even a hard reset before taking it back ?
fleng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Did you try a soft reset or even a hard reset before taking it back ?

Yes - under Navman's instructions. The point here isn't the 510, it's Halford's policy.
RichJay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfords policy is to refund within a 28day period if faulty or not required as long as its in the condition it left the store in. That has been the policy for many years so find it hard that customer services or the Store manager would say this as it states this on your proof of purchase they print off, u sure ur not just slagging Halfords off for the sake of it?

Also halfords dont deal with navman as the main agent in the UK computer 2000 who halfords deal with not navman direct. So getting Navman to ask Halfords for a refund will never work.

Also trading standards law would agree that after the cut off period of 28days as stated that by law a firm only has to replce with like for like for example u had a duff 10 month old unit they could by law swap it for for a unit of the same standard. If u go quoting court and consumer rights it won't get you very far as dealt many a time with trading stanards to ask for advice, only time you would stand a chance is if the unit had a continual fault even then a retailer doesn't have to refund.

If u still have this problem email me at richard@walker77.wanadoo.co.uk and will sort it for u.
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have been sold an item that does not work fully and properly as described then you are entitled to an exchange or full refund which it is the responsibility of the shop to provide. If it is Halfords' Company policy to not honour their obligations under the Sale of Goods Act then TS will have a field day with them - make sure you report their position to your local TS office and inform the manager that is what you are doing.

I'd be amazed if this really is the company policy- more likely to be a misinformed empoyee.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some useful links so you may be armed with the correct legislation regarding the sale of goods:
http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/guide/sogconsumerguide.pdf
http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm

Know your rights.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
fleng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statement was made by deputy manager of store involved and confirmed in telephone calls to/from Halford's customer services. Halfords deal direct with Navman (with respect to after sales service) as they phoned them twice from the store in my presence. I did get my momey back the next day when the store manager returned but it was an unpleasant and worrying experience. Why would I want to 'slag off' Halfords?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichJay wrote:
Also trading standards law would agree that after the cut off period of 28days as stated that by law a firm only has to replce with like for like for example u had a duff 10 month old unit they could by law swap it for for a unit of the same standard.

Firstly, if you work for Halfords you ought to clearly state so. Where did the OP say his unit was 10mths old? The 510 is a brand new device so could not possibly be 10mths old.

And whilst Computer2000 may be the product distributor, Halfords would still deal direct with Navman for Technical Advice on the product, I work in IT and regardless of the distributor we sourced equipment from (and we use C2000 too, they wouldn't be our point of contact for technical advice.

And I find the remark
Quote:
If u go quoting court and consumer rights it won't get you very far
disingenuous to say the least, we have no evidence that a member of Halfords staff made this claim but if any member of shop staff started telling me that their policy was in direct contravention of consumer law then I wouldn't bother arguing with them, I'd be off to my solicitor.
fleng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has gone from a simple factual report of what happened into a strange netherworld of - well I don't know what.
RichJay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Firstly, if you work for Halfords you ought to clearly state so. Where did the OP say his unit was 10mths old? The 510 is a brand new device so could not possibly be 10mths old

Read 1st, i said for example! Ie WHAT IF.

To start with i dont work for Halfords, i work in the legal trade its just that i had a bad experiance and soon learnt all i could about there "company policy"

Im fully aware of the law and this is where the 28day period comes into being reasonable time frame, after that period it can get quite difficult trust me, as by printing off a sales purchase slip with the product on you have entered into an agreement, its a very sly why of doing it but yet legal. For example would you buy a 50k car new and not ask about its warranty? No of course not, you would ask about returns or refunds.

The law is very fickle and although it is meant to be there to help us it never does, and also the little guy takes one in the wallet not the big firms.

Also you must be aware yourself that working in IT that electrical products are the worst form of product to buy incase of fault, and if your brave enough or stupid enough to seek legal advice over a small fee such a £200 to £600 then this can be sucked up in a few visits and a few letters which is no gurantee of a result. Again the same in small claims.

Quote:
'they had the right to repair any faulty item and that certain electrical items were exempt from consumer legislation'

This is very true, as the law is also there to protect firms not only the consumer. As most the the time the warranty lay with the firm that made the product and the company is there to honour that, its a dog eat dog world.

I only came on here to point out a fact of there company policy so to help the person know he had a full right to a refund, and should this not be enough i would have gladly offered my service for free as i could have rang that store and read their company policy to them!!!! Trading standards have so much on their plates it can take quite some time to see any action if at all!

Sorry to rock any boats just pointing out a few home truths, just because you can read very vague consumer rights not covering all products as ring TS/dti will soon tell you does this make you a lawyer or know the law to its full extend?? Yeah as much as me reading a book on IT make me an expert, no think so.

PS Only reason i came on here was to ask if the new SmartST v.3 that came with my new ICN510 can also be used on my ICN630? Not even navman have been able to answer that for me so you can see how much I trust the use of tech support with them!
RichJay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also calling a thread "dont buy navman from halfords" not really the best comment in the world is it, my son bought a brand new Porsche and the damn wheel came off on the M6 after they had pdi'd and one of the techs never bought one wheel on correctly, but would you put never buy from Porsche?

No you wouldn't as collectively one person does not represent Porsche nor does one Halfords store represent the hole firm therefore making such a statement could almost be slanderous!

Sure your aware that as a website you to can also be held liable for allowing such a statement to be made, again the law its a pig!
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

Quote:
PS Only reason i came on here was to ask if the new SmartST v.3 that came with my new ICN510 can also be used on my ICN630? Not even navman have been able to answer that for me so you can see how much I trust the use of tech support with them!

Having waded through most of the 'dross' on this thread I came across your query regarding the V3 software supplied with your iCN510 being compatible with the iCN630. Having had a 630 for the past 18 months and had extstensive dealings with the Technical Support Staff at Navman, I'm surprised when you say they couldn't give you an answer to your query. My understanding is that the software supplied with your 510 once installed and activated can only be used with that unit. It's not transferrable. Yes you might well be able to install it on an iCN630 but you won't get it to run Exclamation

Regards

alfieB Thumbs Up

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: