Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom sneak out the TomTom HP Navigation Pack
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom sneak out the TomTom HP Navigation Pack
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: TomTom sneak out the TomTom HP Navigation Pack Reply with quote

TomTom have sneaked out a new version of their navigation products found on the Palm, Mobile phones and GO. Called the TomTom HP Navigation Pack it is the first Pocket PC based navigation product to use the Common Navigation Engine.

This is a full navigation solution including the HP rz1710 PDA, a wired TomTom GPS, Car Mount and of course TomTom Navigation Software there are no prices quoted on the site, but my sources within HP suggest that it will be very competitive.

TomTom Web Site wrote:
TomTom HP Navigation Pack
TomTom’s acclaimed navigation software and HP’s iPAQ rz1710 Pocket PC combined in the all-in-one in-car navigation system.

All-in-one car navigation system with HP iPAQ rz1710, navigation software, maps, GPS and car mount.
Easy to use: simple touch screen operation, intuitive interface.
Clear: sharp spoken route instructions and easy to read 3D maps.
Up to Date maps: the very latest maps with excellent street number coverage.
Accurate: precise navigation from door-to-door

TomTom HP Navigation Pack - Product requirements
TomTom’s acclaimed navigation software and HP’s iPAQ rz1710 Pocket PC combined in the all-in-one in-car navigation system.

Product information:

An internet connection is required to activate your HP/TomTom navigation pack.

Software and Maps
TomTom Navigation Software and the maps of your country or region are pre-installed on the SD Memory Card. The SD Memory Card is included in the box. Please check www.tomtom.com for maps of the entire Western Europe.
* This product is not compatible with TomTom Navigator 3 products and Accessories.

Languages:
The application runs in: GB, D, F, NL, I, E, DK, SE, N, FIN and P

Click here for the TomTom website information.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken this is Navigator 2004 or Navigator V4.04, funny this I asked TT when they would be releasing Navigator 2004 in the UK, and their response today was they had not got any information or plans at present....

Any news on upgrades for exisiting users? Ok maybe a little early but it will be asked?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedcam,

You are spot on. This is TomTom Navigator 4.40 (2850).

However I believe the statement made to you by TomTom is still correct. They are not releaseing this software in anything other than the HP Navigation Pack. You will not be able to buy this as software only, or as a hardware package without the PDA.

After re-reading your message I must ask the question: Why would you want to upgrade to this version, or should I say downgrade.

It may have the new interface and later maps, but you will lose shed loads of functionality. Not something I would be rushing to do.
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting. sneaky indeed. i guess tomtom 3.03 (and 3.05T) is the last. they must be busy on putting 4.40 on the level of 3.03, then add some more, otherwise, no reason to move from 3.03.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question Mike, I've not had the opportunity to use TomTom Go or Palm Navigator which if I'm correct use the same engine and are V4.04.

If this is correct aren't these products enhanced versions of Navigator V3, with improved map display (shows road names), and GO has a basic POI warning system, all other functionallity is identical, but still nice features?

Can you confirm if V4.04 is an improved version of Navigator or a cut down version?

It maybe me, but as I've said before TT seem to be loosing interest in Navigator, this years upgrade was disappointing, and their other products are now better, as are their competitors products.

I understand that TT have a business to run and new products are key, but it's most important to keep existing customers, there is very little thats difference now between a number of these products, and customers will move based on quality, cost feature & customer service.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: could some one clarify is 4.40 an upgrade from 3.03? Reply with quote

I'm confused about this - like most (I guess) 3.03 / 3.05t users I haven't seen go or the palm version working.

Is 4.40 just newer maps with less features than 3.03?

I particularly don't like the idea of fixed speed limits on road types and a couple of other go things - like the very basic poi warner compared to say checkpoint.

Could anyone who's used both point out the advantatges or disadvantages please

Copliot awaits me thinks

thanks

Ian
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both a GO (4.40) and TTN 3.03. Differences that I can see are:

* more basic GPS status bar (doesn't show the number of satellites)
* road names in navigation view
* only ABCDEF keyboard available (no QWERTY)
* speed indicator is tiny (I use this quite a bit Sad)
* fixed speeds for each road type
* much better "avoid" in route planning (you can avoid any part of the route, not just a few major roads)
* maps don't appear to be any later than TTN3 (well, they still haven't got the new A120 in them)

Of course, if this is a PDA version of 4.40 I see no reason why you can't continue to use CheckPOInt.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
Good question Mike, I've not had the opportunity to use TomTom Go or Palm Navigator which if I'm correct use the same engine and are V4.04.

It actually claims to be Navigator 4.40 not 4.04.

SpeedCam wrote:
If this is correct aren't these products enhanced versions of Navigator V3, with improved map display (shows road names), and GO has a basic POI warning system, all other functionallity is identical, but still nice features?

No they are not enhanced versions of TT3.

SpeedCam wrote:
Can you confirm if V4.04 is an improved version of Navigator or a cut down version?

Version 4.40 is completely dufferent. It has been rewritten from the ground up using the knowledge of the previous versions of Navigator, but in a way that allows TomTom to provide versions for different hardware platforms easier. This version is a much cut down version.

SpeedCam wrote:
It maybe me, but as I've said before TT seem to be loosing interest in Navigator, this years upgrade was disappointing, and their other products are now better, as are their competitors products.

When we were in CeBIT earlier this Year TomTom said that it was their ultimate aim to move all their products to this common navigation platform. This was what they had been working on before CeBIT when they announced Navigator 3.0 as wel as GO and also showed the Palm version and mobile phone versions. So they had been doing a lot of work developing new product lines. They didnt port the PDA version as they couldnt provide the full functionality of TT3.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_w wrote:
I have both a GO (4.40) and TTN 3.03. Differences that I can see are:

* more basic GPS status bar (doesn't show the number of satellites)
* road names in navigation view
* only ABCDEF keyboard available (no QWERTY)
* speed indicator is tiny (I use this quite a bit Sad)
* fixed speeds for each road type
* much better "avoid" in route planning (you can avoid any part of the route, not just a few major roads)
* maps don't appear to be any later than TTN3 (well, they still haven't got the new A120 in them)

Of course, if this is a PDA version of 4.40 I see no reason why you can't continue to use CheckPOInt.

Carl,

There are far more features missing, and quite a lot of fundimental ones as well.

Starting with Traffic and then 3rd party add-ins neither of these are available on 4.40. That means that Checkpoint cannot be used. It does have a POI warning system built in, but this does not offer all the features of CheckPoint or POIWarner or any of the others.

Also the avoid system is actually somewhat inferior rather than superior. I could go on, but I think a proper comparative list is called for and we will start to work on that soon.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, thats a lot clearer I incorrectly assumed that a higher version number would at least include all existing functionallity plus improvements..
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously think only a company as seriously badly focused as tomtom could do this....

how can 4.4 be a stripped down 3.03!!!! this seriouslt sucks - most of the restrictions related to the lack of multitasking in palm os's - bringing the same restritions to pocket pc is mad.

if microsoft follow tomtoms policy it will be nice to go back to a command line text display in windows 2006.

Ian
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iancjc wrote:
I seriously think only a company as seriously badly focused as tomtom could do this....

i actually think its brilliant. i see it as one step back to take two forward steps in the future. it would be easier and more efficient for tomtom to maintain a single code base for go, smart phones, palm os, and windows mobile. one code to rule them all. in any case, tomtom 3 as it is now is quite feature full. i just hope that tomtom doesn't give us an update next year with anything equal or less than tomtom3.
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well IMHO, missing features aside, the TTGO is a lot better than TTN3. It's much faster and more responsive (I guess this is down to the OS) and doesn't crash IME. As well as that, it interpolates between GPS updates so the screen refresh is much quicker -- less chance of missing the exit on a roundabout.

If I had my time again, I'd probably have chosen the TTGO over the TTN3/PDA/BT solution.
Zeena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a4ace wrote:
...i guess tomtom 3.03 (and 3.05T)...

What is 3.05T...?

Is this an update i have missed...?
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeena wrote:

What is 3.05T...?

3.05T is with traffic, 3.03 without.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: