Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Newbie questions Reply with quote

Hi. About to replace a laptop-based sat nav system (Infomap Navigator running on an old P2 laptop which is now dead!!) with a Tomtom-based system, but need some advice.

The three options I'm looking at are Tomtom 3 on a pocket PC, Tomtom Palm on a Tungsten T3 or Tomtom Go.

At the moment I'm leaning in favour of the Tomtom Go - it looks like a nice easy one-box solution, easy to set up and run, reasonable cost. I have heard, though, that the software has one or two limitations when compared with TT3 running on a pocket PC - can anyone elaborate on this?

The other option is a PDA-based solution. I already have an old Palmpilot, so the Tomtom Palm & Tungsten T3 solution would be better than a pocket PC version (I'm used to PalmOS, and I can just transfer all my information as-is from old Palm to new Palm). What are the pros and cons of the Palm version of Tomtom compared to the pocket PC version?

Any advice appreciated ........ thanks!
dave2318
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have ttn3 on Pocket PC. someone a couple of offices down has the GO. Main limitation i can see is that the GO is not able to run other programs, like checkpoint so you are limited to the extras you can use with tomtom. The maps on the GO seem to be newer than the ones on ttn3.
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hell, now I'm confused. Sad

I thought I'd pretty much settled on TTGo, but I've just been reading the blurb about the new Navman ICN510. Looks like it could be a definite contender. I can only identify two possible downsides of the Navman product - from the screenshots in the PocketGPS preview the 3D display looks a little cluttered with all those street names ; adn it doesn't seem to be widely available at the moment.

Can anyone advise as to the pros and cons of these two units? There seems to be very little information on this and other forums regarding the ICN510 at the moment - I guess that's because it's quite a new unit, but that doesn't help someone like me who's torn between which of the two to purchase!

A question - for importing POIs into the ICN510, does it take the same file format (.ov2) at the TTGo?
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gareth71 wrote:
I can only identify two possible downsides of the Navman product - from the screenshots in the PocketGPS preview the 3D display looks a little cluttered with all those street names ; adn it doesn't seem to be widely available at the moment.
Some TomTom users complain about the lack of road names displayed. You either like it or loathe it but i dont find them obtrusive at all.

The iCN 510 is now shipping from Navcity @£479.95
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
tOpCaT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to your original question, I believe that TomTom is on version 4.40 (?) on the Palm and this is the same as the version on the Go device.

If you want to do other stuff (like us it for rambling or mountain-biking or whatever) then it's a good option.

And if you've got a stupid windscreen like I've got on my Megane you'll need the GPS receiver some distance away from it (I put mine on the rear parcel shelf), or to use an external aerial. I hope this is of some interest... ;)
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gareth71 wrote:
A question - for importing POIs into the ICN510, does it take the same file format (.ov2) at the TTGo?

No, the 510 uses .csv files which are then saved to the device in a proprietary (I think) format. You can easily convert .ov2 files to .csv format using POI Converter, which is available from the downloads section.
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another factor is thrown into the mix! Now also under serious consideration is a Mio 168 with Tomtom. ("Fer cryin' out loud", I hear you say, "will you just make up yer feckin' mind and buy one?!". But at least I can tell you that I've pretty much discounted the ICN510 .... ;) )

My questions about this unit are these ..... what is the sound like from the built-in speaker? Obvisouly it isn't going to be up to TTGo standards, but is it adequate for hearing voice instructions over engine and road noise and perhaps some background music? Also, has anyone ever attempted to transfer the calendar and contacts information from a Palm PDA to Outlook? Does it work? Properly? As I (think I) said earlier, I currently use an old Palm PDA - but this unit with its rather neat-looking built-in GPS might just be a reason to move to a Pocket PC solution .......

Go on, please, help out a newbie! Tell me what you like and don't like about the Mio/Tomtom combo and the Tomtom Go ....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: