Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sat Nav options
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sat Nav options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G1OSE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Sat Nav options Reply with quote

ok im confused as to what i should do
i have at the moment a pda wired to a dongle thing to get my navigation with a screen mount
its good but to much hassle getting it all going each time wiring it in and taking it all out

i have a in car motorised screen and was thinking maybe i could use that and wire navigation into it but could sell for a better system

but then ive been looking around and there seems to be about 5-6 good options so i need some help from you if you have done it or seem them working

pda bluetooth option -- any good how long they last?

tom tom go-- all in one but easy to nick if seen as not really practical to take from the car any good?

single din navigation unit--eg becker alpine small screen but allows cd to be played at same time aslo voice guidance through the speakers are these any good easy to input destination as no keyboard

Pioneer all in one avic 1-- expensive but all in one allows dvd playback can take front off but still shows it as a screen would someone want to nick this? any one used this?

add navigation to my screen--panasonic navigation any good?

carputer? all in one but mean i have to buy it or build it? expensive any good?

please let me no your thoughts on these if youve used them or even if you havent

cheers
sorry for long post
Old_Phil
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have TomTom GO - wife has factory fitted Toyota system (£2K option!). Don't know why you think GO is easy to nick - you seem to think it's not practical to remove from car. Reverse is true, unclips in 2 secs, is only 5" x 3.5" x 2.5" in size, if you don't mind a bulge in your pocket stuff it in there or put into briefcase, bag etc when you leave car. Girls with large handbags (most of them then) have no problem at all. I'd say GO is easier to disconnect remove than a PDA + GPS receiver combo and is a lot neater. Windscreen mount can also be removed, I don't bother.

I looked at Garmin 2610 and Navman 630 but value for money won through and I bought a GO - now £412 from dabs.com or amazon to name 2 internet retailers. New Navman worth a loom but not yet available.

Don't forget, whatever you choose, whenever you buy it, a better one will be in the shops tomorrow! It's called progress! But if you wait forever, you'll never enjoy the benefits of your new toy!
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...in addition buy a good active fixed mount and hardwire it into your car electrics. Stuff Bluetooth GPS somwhere in the car for good signals, I've even heard of behind the sunvisor , then you can take your PDA out when you get out of the car and use it as a PDA (I don't use mine as such but at least the flexibility is there).
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g10use dont for get the new phone versions of tomtom and copilot that are now available if your after somthing thats utra portable then id go with that as for bt gps bot my tt and navnam 4400 are going fine the tt is being used 24 hours a day 5 days a week

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
G1OSE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your thoughts

i was looking at tomtom go but seems very big in pictures if you think it would fit in the pocket then it wont be a bad option but i have heard some bad things about it
can it be hardwired from a base or do you need to buy a base to sit it on?

i dont use a pda much which is why im thinking of selling my medion package

i do have a sony p900 but am thinking the screen maybe too small to get any decent image from and heard bad things about bluetooth gps thingys

i think ill look into tomtom go abit more
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom GO is a bit bulky to carry around with you.
You could take a look at the new iCN510 as an alternative. It is small enough to slip in a pocket.
Obviously you will need to compare the features of each to see which best suits your requirements.

GO review: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-go.php
iCN510 preview: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/navman-icn510.php
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
G1OSE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thats a good looking option
i like the tomtom software and the ability i belive to add poi's can this be put onto the pda option
is there something around with tomtom and a pda shaped unit with built in reciever? i think that would be the ultimate option the only thing i like other than that is the volume of the go speaker

with the go or other do they dome with mounts and if so are the mounts powered so its as simple as drop and go or do you still have to wire in the unit?

thanks for your help peeps!
tOpCaT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like you could get an Arkon powered GPS mount which combines the stuff you were after. Plug a PDA into it and you've got an amplified, self-charging (from cigarette lighter), GPS bundle.

But I prefer PDA/bluetooth as it's the only one where you can wander around and use it AND you can position the GPS away from the PDA if, for example, you've got a bloody Renault Megane like me and the windscreen prevents receipt of GPS signals. :x

And I'm a programmer, so I like to be able to hack it around and do cool stuff too... Wink
G1OSE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud i used to have a megane and had the same problem which is why i had to have a bundle with extendable reciever
check out www.coupe-club.co.uk for everything megane related
do they do powered mounts for all pdas? and does it take the sound away to say the headunit for amplification?
cheers for the help

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: