Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot 5 ETA - Tweaking Road Speeds
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot 5 ETA - Tweaking Road Speeds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:
Its still pretty poor that ALK seem oblivious to the problems. A short "we're working on it" statement would suffice for some. I doubt if we will get it.

If they did admit that there was a problem with their software, they they would have to fix it!

As for the routing problem, NO amount of tweaking of the road weightings will fix this because CoPilot simply will NOT consider using certain categories of road when calculating a route. Confused
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topgazza and Skippy raise an all-important issue: whether ALK has any plans to fix this.

The only hint I have heard/seen in public was Dave Burrows’s intention to ask ALK, though his Copilot wish list, to include user-configurable road-type biases on the PDA.

On the face of it, user-configurability might appear to be the answer. However, it will not be sufficient on its own. Merely moving across the facility that already exists in Desktop PC version of CP 5 will not solve the problem of having no identifiable combination of road-type biases that will actually produce shortest routes – or a consistent, predictable, type of route for any combination of settings.

This is not to mention the problems with waypoints, instructions to turn around in the motorway, etc.

What is needed for CP 6 (or whatever) is a complete re-think of the routing logic. User-configurability will be great, but it will have to work.

If ALK do after all have answers to the problems that I have raised in this thread, then could they please post them.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz's responses imply that the PocketGPS forum team probably still believe that tweaking the settings does produce shortest routes. It will not make matters any clearer if they believe this and I keep insisting on the opposite.

Could I suggest that I send the team some saved UK routes for the team to see for themselves. This would enable the team to post their findings for the benefit of other Copilot users.

If this is of interest, please would the team let me know how to send the route files.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In various posts, particularly on the thread entitled COPILOT 5 UK ROUTING and elsewhere, Dave Burrows has dismissed, or apparently sought to diminish, criticisms of Copilot 5’s failure to produce true, or even nearly, Shortest Routes. He has done so by referring to the present thread.

Lutz Bendlin has suggested on this thread that the problem of Road Bias adjustments having failed to produce Shortest Routes can be overcome by adjusting by adjusting Road Speeds. This does not work; neither was it likely to work without at the same time upsetting the Quickest Route settings.

No reliable means of solving Copilot’s road bias problems has so far appeared on the thread. Is there such a solution, please? What, and where is it, please?

Dave Burrows has in the past responded to requests to clarify his pronouncements by locking the thread in question so that the line of questioning or criticism cannot continue. By all means, Dave, do so this time. In fact, why not go all the way and lock me out of the forum altogether? First, however, you might try giving clear and straight answers to the above questions. I am sure that Copilot 5 users would appreciate it.
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try posting a hello message, that will disapear double quick.

GB
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no reply from the forum team?

Do they not wish to show that they are responsible enough to hold up their hands when their assumptions (which they have represented as facts) turn out to be incorrect?

Perhaps they will at least think twice before jumping in with both feet in the future .. . although, I have seen no signs of it yet.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have noticed that there are a lot of things happening in the Pocket GPS space, and not necessarily in the CoPilot area. It's currently not high priority for the Pocket GPS team. However, I am sure there are a lot of CoPilot users out there that would be able and willing to help. Why don't you approach them?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already consulted other forum users, on this thread, and I am confident that they would have posted a solution by now had there been one.

The point of my most recent posts was not to find the answer to Copilot's routing problems, for that is a lost cause. It was that your and your colleagues' incorrect assertions continue to cloud the issues about which your forum members seek information. The confusion and disrepute that this brings to the forum is exacerbated by apparently highly emotive reactions and less-than-clear further statements when members come back and try to get matters clarified. These are evident in the present thread, and in recent ones concerning TomTom 5.

It is as if members must accept it if you say that the Earth is flat - because is is you who have said it.

If the forum is to be of value, then it needs to be clear as to what is fact and what is supposition. It is far more helpful to say "I don't know, but it might be thus ..." than to give the impression that what you say is cast in stone. Of course, you are not obliged to deal with a subject at all, but once you commit yourself to do so, you need to follow these principles. If you do not, then you may well hinder the process of getting a manufacturer to remedy a fault. You may also lead purchasers to assume that a fault does not exist.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
Lutz's responses imply that the PocketGPS forum team probably still believe that tweaking the settings does produce shortest routes. It will not make matters any clearer if they believe this and I keep insisting on the opposite.

Routes are always subjective because its down to personal preference. In areas I have tested shortest routes do actually work out as shorter/quicker routes. 95% of all applications have a bias towards major roads, because you drve faster on these roads and traffic flows more quickly. Unfortunately thats life, if you don't like it tweaking the road bias is the next best thing. If you still don't like it, then find one of the apps in the 5% bracket.

PONDEROUS wrote:
In various posts, particularly on the thread entitled COPILOT 5 UK ROUTING and elsewhere, Dave Burrows has dismissed, or apparently sought to diminish, criticisms of Copilot 5’s failure to produce true, or even nearly, Shortest Routes. He has done so by referring to the present thread.

So, because I haven't experienced these problems, you want me to lie about them ? Huh ?

PONDEROUS wrote:
Dave Burrows has in the past responded to requests to clarify his pronouncements by locking the thread in question so that the line of questioning or criticism cannot continue. By all means, Dave, do so this time. In fact, why not go all the way and lock me out of the forum altogether? First, however, you might try giving clear and straight answers to the above questions. I am sure that Copilot 5 users would appreciate it.

Laughing Out Loud! First off we lock topics that become extremely heated, abuse occurs just before an all out riot. Thats why we lock less than 1% of topics. I have responded to your questions previously. I told you about this topic about road biases, you then called me a liar (without apology I might add) saying this topic didn't exhist, but it does. If it hasn't helped you, sorry, it has helped others. Try going back to ALK or the retailer that sold you CoPilot.

PONDEROUS wrote:
Still no reply from the forum team?

Do they not wish to show that they are responsible enough to hold up their hands when their assumptions (which they have represented as facts) turn out to be incorrect?

Perhaps they will at least think twice before jumping in with both feet in the future .. . although, I have seen no signs of it yet.

Why haven't I replied ? Because I haven't been around. Try checking my website out for the reason as that is always kept up to date on why I may not be around for extended periods! Why haven't I been around ?

Easter weekend I had an accident that fractured my elbow in three places, sprained my other wrist badly and also one of my ankles. I'd probably be better off going ten rounds with Mike Tyson. I've been in a lot of pain, and still am, and haven't had the energy to reply to people like yourself, when I check back over your posting history the majority of your posts seem to be complaints, attacks, and whines against the Team and myself.

Do you blame us for not replying ? You have to remember this is a FREE resource. If you want any extra help, send me your credit card number for £100 an hour and I'll give you 1 to 1 support!

Now I've posted this long reply, I'm in even more pain. If you want to take this up personally with me then PM me!
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know Dave, using something like fractured elbow, twisted wrist and ankle and being in great pain to stop you from responding. This site used to be run by real men. Personally I blame Tony Blair.

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, read the whole thing, if you can open your mind enough to do so, and you will see that your response merely proves what I have been saying.

I won't go through the whole sorry missive, but just consider your claim that I called you a liar without apology. What you were implying was that my concerns about CP 5 routing and Shortest Routes is there for all to see on the "Sticky" thread. What I discovered at the time, and when you raised it again, was that the thread was about Road Speeds, which has no relevance to the issue. Subsequent posts by your team failed to recognise that point, and my consequent efforts to elicit a frank reply fell on stony ground.

Just who is it that is calling whom a liar?

As for abuse, well, have a look at what has been written. Perhaps you are again getting mixed up about the definition of certain words in the English language (see for example the thread concerning TomTom 5 and sharing BT GPS receivers, for example). As I say, though, recognising the difficulty here does require an open mind.

I really do wish you well in sorting out how this forum should be run in the future. The concept is good, and it could be very useful.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

Having said what I did above, I apologise for not acknowledging the part of your reply that mentioned your injuries. Without wishing to detract from my apology, I have to say that the quality of what you said left me ill-motivated to read right to the bottom. For that also, I apologise.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - I'm really sorry to hear about your injury, I hope you have a speedy recovery. Crying or Very sad

Your website is certainly one of the best ones out there and we do appreciate your work. But these CoPilot issues aren't going to roll over and die.

Dave wrote:
Routes are always subjective because its down to personal preference. In areas I have tested shortest routes do actually work out as shorter/quicker routes.

Try London to Dublin, Routing Type: Quickest, Vehicle Type: Auto. I get 584 miles via Stranraer and Belfast. Garmin gives 349 miles as the Fastest route. A route which is 67% longer than the one that someone would pick using a paper map is not subjective, it's just plain wrong in anyone's book.

Dave wrote:
95% of all applications have a bias towards major roads, because you drve faster on these roads and traffic flows more quickly. Unfortunately thats life, if you don't like it tweaking the road bias is the next best thing.

The bias towards main roads is fair enough and I agree that major roads usually give the fastest journey times. The problem with CoPilot is that in many cases the routing algorithm will steadfastly ignore certain road types when calculating the "Fastest" route and this bias CANNOT be overcome by tweaking the road speeds.

Dave wrote:
Try going back to ALK or the retailer that sold you CoPilot.

Unfortunately, it's probably too late for me to get a refund as I have had CoPilot for about 6 months now. I guess I expected that the bugs would be ironed out pretty quickly, but it seems that little or nothing has been done.

ALK's support strategy is to ask lots of irrelevant questions and then play dumb and claim that no one else is having any problem with the software. :x
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy is, of course, more diplomatic than I. That is his choice, and I hope he is more persuasive than I because of it. However, the forum team can very well see for themselves from previous posts and other threads that users have been in touch with ALK to no avail.

The team can also see that the point was long ago made - by Skippy among others - that shortest does not mean 5, 10, 20 etc miles further than the shortest available route. It means SHORTEST.

As Skippy says, neither is objecting to 5, 10, 20 etc miles further a question of preference. I am sorry but this is worth repeating as Dave persists in throwing in these specious arguments.

Another point that I really must repeat is that drawing attention to these issues may be "abuse" to Dave, but to me, at least, it is trying to get the forum team to realise what is involved in providing an impartial service - free or otherwise.

Will all of this repetition and arguing that night-is-day lead to a solution? I can't see it myself. If I am right, then is this forum serving the purpose that was intended?
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
I have already consulted other forum users, on this thread, and I am confident that they would have posted a solution by now had there been one.

The solution I found was to un-install it and go back to TomTom. I bought CP5 when it was first released, having read the review and liked the idea of being able to create routes on the PC. Ran it for about 6 months. Most of the routing problems I got around by adding way-points to force CP5 to take the route I wanted. Like going up to the Stratford meet, it insisted routing me up the M27, M3, M25 & M40, were as the shorter and preferred route was M27, M3, A34 & M40 adding a way-point at the top end of the A34 just before the M40 worked. The POI announcement problem or lack of, frequent lock ups and total lack of support from ALK finally brought my use of CP5 to an end. If they ever fix it or bring out a new version that compares with TomTom then I might try it again.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: