Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot 5 ETA - Tweaking Road Speeds
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot 5 ETA - Tweaking Road Speeds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too bought CPL5 on the strength of the glowing review on this site.

Rattle's assertion that we should all trawl through all the forum posts on the chance that we find something different from the review is just not practical.

The first impression when arriving at the home page of this site, and viewing the number of articles, news and reviews, one has the immediate impression that this is a site run by knowledgable experts in the world of GPS. Just the sort of resource that non-techy or first time GPS buyers are looking for.

Consequently, one gets an immediate impression that these guys know their stuff, and having read such a fantastic review of CPL5 (I was going to buy TT3 before reading it), my mind was changed and I bought CPL5.

I, as a complete novice, soon thought that CPL5 was seriously flawed and it did not even provide the basic 'turn by turn' instructions as it declared to do on the box.

What frustrates me more than anything and why I have felt the need to contribute to this thread (I am normally a lurker and not a poster), is if I as a novice discovered these shortcomings after a couple of days, then why didn't the expert reviewers notice the same and make the appropriate comments in the review.

As others have said, by now, the review should have been updated long ago to take into account the obvious faults, as any newcomer could easily be lulled into the false sense of security that they are buying the dogs-b******s of GPS systems.

At a minimum, there should be an 'Important, Please Read' link from the review to the users comments.

I share the frustration of others when the PGPSW team refuse to accept that there are genuine (and serious) problems with this software.

Baz
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Can you please do a quick test see what it calculates for the Quickest route between the following locations:

London to Dublin (I get routed via Scotland/Belfast when the quickest is via Holyhead)
Southampton to Hastings (I get routed via the M25 when the quickest is via the south coast)
M40 Junction 9 to M3 Junction 9 (I get routed via the M25 when the quickest is via the A34)

Hi Skippy - sorry for the slow response as I've been away testing a few routes Smile
The program seems to be very sensitive to starting points so moving a street or two away from city centre in Southampton gives the right result. Also, upping the weighting to
RoadWeightAdjust=647364646464646464
or
RoadWeightAdjust=647864646464646464
appears to work
One thing I discovered is that my assumption that the PC version gave the same results as the PocketPC version is not always true (e.g. the Southampton City Centre to hastings City Centre
I tried it on the PocketPC for the A34 route and the Southampton to Hastings route and "73" does the job. I don't have the EU map option on my PocketPC so I just tried it on the PC version and "73" also works there.
It also seems to have no adverse effects.
For information - "73" above corresponds to avoid motorways by 15%

HP iPAQ h2210 ROM 1.10.07 ENG
Windows CE 4.20
Sandisk Ultra II SD 512Mb
Haicom 303MMF and BT-401 slipper
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzer wrote:
The first impression when arriving at the home page of this site, and viewing the number of articles, news and reviews, one has the immediate impression that this is a site run by knowledgable experts in the world of GPS. Just the sort of resource that non-techy or first time GPS buyers are looking for.

Correct and it is!

Bazzer wrote:
Consequently, one gets an immediate impression that these guys know their stuff, and having read such a fantastic review of CPL5 (I was going to buy TT3 before reading it), my mind was changed and I bought CPL5.

Our reviews don't tell you to GO OUT AND BUY IT NOW. Our reviews are an impartial, unbiased attempt at showing you the program. It's up to you to take a look at it in action, go to a retailer that has a shop front and examine the product in action and even try and ask them for a loan (some will do this providing you place your credit card down). Ask the company who makes the program several questions. Do you complain to Top Gear when Clarkson tells you the new Vauxhall is the best thing since sliced bread and you find it to be riddled with holes ?

Bazzer wrote:
As others have said, by now, the review should have been updated long ago to take into account the obvious faults, as any newcomer could easily be lulled into the false sense of security that they are buying the dogs-b******s of GPS systems.

At a minimum, there should be an 'Important, Please Read' link from the review to the users comments.

...and you obviously don't read our posts, because I have said countless times before that our reviews are OUR EXPERIENCE in using the application. These are honest accounts of running the application on designated hardware. Bugs can creep into applications for certain systems. Sometimes the software we receive to review is pre-release, and sometimes is changed for better or for worse (with/without our knowledge) when it goes god. The COMMENTS link that bring you to the forum are for USER EXPERIENCES.

If people cannot read a review, follow the comments link and see user perceptions of a product, then people shouldn't be reading this site, and more importantly shouldn't be in use of a computer! Seeing the amount of posts we get in answer to reviews I'd say that most people can easily read the Comments link and click through.

Again I will re-iterate that the review is OUR EXPERIENCE of the version we tested at the time of review. We aren't going to lie to people and say there are potential problems if we can't duplicate the problems ourselves. That's for you to post in the forums. If you don't like it, you can always go somewhere else or even setup your own site!

As always I have been feeding comments back to ALK like I do with Navman, TomTom and other companies on bugs that people find. If you really want to be pro-active in resolving some of these issues rather than bitch'in about them to us, then formulate a calm response detailing the problems you see and I'll take them to ALK Director level. But, if people are going to continue to bitch and moan and re-iterate the same complaint like their in a kindergarden or a broke record, and attack members of the team which has been happening in these threads, then no, I'm not going to help!
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rattle

I do see your point, but I do not accept it. A post by the forum team couched as fact, when it is not only without foundation but has been shown to be so, is not the same as Joe Bloggs throwing in his pennyworth. However off-the-wall the latter is fine (to a point), but not so the former. Perhaps you have not been able to see MY point. Either way, I don't think we are going to agree on the question of immunity from criticism for the forum team, which is what this censorship is about in the end.

If I have misquoted you, I was not aware and I apologise - but I still don't know where it was.

Dave

I see that we cannot expect you to learn anything from this. That is a great pity. It is a pity for future forum users, but most of all it is a pity for you. I note your "kindergarten" remarks. Have you ever considered stepping outside and looking in for a second?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Topic now locked Reply with quote

Posts here are now becoming way off-topic.

Seeing that:-

1) I contunally extend an olive branch to send bugs people find here in the forums directly to ALK

2) I'm also extending another olive branch to take your grievances to ALK Management

Yet you still chuck dirt back in my face it's obviously quite plain that all you're here to do is argue, and that you really don't want to resolve any problems whatsoever, so this topic is now locked until certain individuals can behave themselves.

If people are sincerely interested in resolving any problems they may be experiencing, and would like to help resolve any problems by enhancing Co-Pilot Live, and to have a channel into ALK to help resolve these problems, then I suggest you send me an email at daveburrows_at_gmail.com with the following:-

1) Platform and version you are running
2) Which routes are you planning from address A to address B
3) What you believe to be the problem

Also attach any email's you have sent to ALK and received from ALK and I will collate a list and give this to ALK.

I can't say fairer than that. And for anyone who wants to just blatantly argue, then you can argue with yourself.

I've given you a fair chance here and yet you just come back everytime to insult me and the rest of the team.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: