Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile Navigator 4 - IPAQ H2210 Backup Restore
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile Navigator 4 - IPAQ H2210 Backup Restore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Mobile Navigator 4 - IPAQ H2210 Backup Restore Reply with quote

Can you restore an IPAQ backup which has Mobile Navigator installed?

I can perform the restore procedure but I cannot complete the restore with a soft reset because it freezes at the end of the loading OS screen. Each soft reset after this gives the same result.

I can restore a backup that does not have Mobile Navigator installed. However with only Mobile Navigator installed (after a hard reset) the IPAQ freezes if the backup with it on is restored.
big_ipaq
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about others, but I would love to be able to reply your post. However, I am not sure I understood well what your problem is.
RichS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that after I restore a backup I cannot perform a soft reset without the IPAQ locking up and then requiring a hard reset to get the IPAQ working again.

If Mobile Navigator is not part of the backup (in other words Mobile Navigator is not installed at the point the backup is made) then I can restore the backup and perform a soft reset.

Therefore, a backup made after Mobile Navigator has been installed will not restore.

To prove this I did a hard reset, made a backup, restored it and then did a soft reset - the backup restored without problem. I then only installed Mobile Navigator, made a backup, restored it and did a soft reset - the IPAQ locked up requiring another hard reset before I could get the IPAQ working again.
big_ipaq
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand perfectly now, but as you've described it I would like not to try it now, just to check if I can repro this on my IPAQ too, for obvious reasons. What I can say is that when the first opportunity arrives, I will do it.

Unfortunately, this is not much help for you, and I suggest to email it also to: support@navigon.de in English.
big_ipaq
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had my first hard reset since you posted your question. I've had a full backup a couple of days before.

Anyway, the restore went flawlessly and I am able to use my device after backup with no problems.

I have an HP iPAQ 5550 with Windows Mobile 2003, MN4.2 and POI Warner 2.60.
RichS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have managed to solve the Soft Reset issue after an iPAQ backup with MobileNavigator installed.

The options in iPAQ Backup allow items to be excluded. Unticking exclude "iPAQ Backup Files (*.PBF)" and "Log Files (*.LOG)" appears to fix the problem. The "Programs (*.EXE, *.DLL)" was already unticked. The only exluded option ticked now is "Persistent Storage".

The only other thing I have done is install the Navigon MobileNavigator 4.2 upgrade.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I can't comment on this specific case as I don't use Navigon software, the latest version of Sprite Backup (of which iPAQ Backup is a branded version) will probably work better and the developer is very responsive to reports of problems.

There's no way to get an update of the version of iPAQ Backup that's in ROM - but Sprite do offer a low cost upgrade to Sprite Backup for iPAQ users who have iPAQ Backup in ROM. It may be worth considering - the latest version of Sprite Backup, for example, supports scheduled encrypted backups.

David
tetley202
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for raising the issue of backups. I had the same problems on my neighbours set up which was so frustrating having to re-install and re-configure the mn4 plus the poi warner ..as real pain. Hopefully solution of excluded items will resolve the issue...now i really must get hold of their pda do do another back up! Mine is already done :D
tetley202
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
big_ipaq.
Anyway, the restore went flawlessly and I am able to use my device after backup with no problems.2.60.

did you follow the removal of excluded items as prev described?
as having dropped my 2210 it did an unexpected hard reset....guess what ..the back up failed and that was despite doing the excluded items. Sad
tetley202
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D good news.....eventually downloaded the full sprite backup programe and the restoration now works.best $15 ever spent!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: