Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice for Newbie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for Newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grebo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Advice for Newbie Reply with quote

Hi,

Forgive me as I am new to all this GPS stuff!!

I am looking for a GPS package that I can use in the UK and then buy additional maps to use the same kit when I am on holiday in North America. So it needs to be portable and work in the USA!!

Currently I do not have a handheld PC so my choices are fairly open. I am happy enough to choose the handheld PC based on what GPS system is the best as I have noticed that certain GPS system only work with certain handheld PCs.

From what I have found out so far, it seems like the TomTom software does not cover America but Navman does. However, can I buy a Navman system in the UK and then buy additional USA maps?

Any help appreciated

Grebo Wink
Grebo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I want it to have speech for the directions!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for Newbie Reply with quote

Grebo wrote:
Hi,

Forgive me as I am new to all this GPS stuff!!

As were we all once. Welcome to the club. :D

Grebo wrote:
I am looking for a GPS package that I can use in the UK and then buy additional maps to use the same kit when I am on holiday in North America. So it needs to be portable and work in the USA!!

The G in GPS stands for Global. It works anywhere in the world, if you can get a signal. Wink

Grebo wrote:
Currently I do not have a handheld PC so my choices are fairly open. I am happy enough to choose the handheld PC based on what GPS system is the best as I have noticed that certain GPS system only work with certain handheld PCs.

There is a wide choice of Pocket PC/receiver combos and a narrower choice of integrated units. HP iPAQ seems to be the most popular, judging by the messages I read here. They are just revamping their range, so you could pick up a brand new bargain. However, if running the latest OS is important to you, don't pick one of those bargains, since HP have announced that the current range running WM2003 will *not* get an upgrade to WM2003 SE. :x

Grebo wrote:
From what I have found out so far, it seems like the TomTom software does not cover America but Navman does. However, can I buy a Navman system in the UK and then buy additional USA maps?

Yes you can do this. If you look at my spec, after my name, you will see that this is exactly what I have. However, the current Navman offering, SmartST V2, doesn't allow for importing your own (or others') custom Points of Interest (Safety cameras, for instance). This is available now in other software (Tomtom, for instance) and will be available in SmartST V3. If the ability to use the same app. for all your maps appeals to you then it could be worth waiting for V3. If you don't mind mixing and matching then you have many more options.

Grebo wrote:
Any help appreciated

Grebo Wink

We aim to please. Think about what your priorities are e.g.

Single app.
Custom POIs
Live traffic updates

etc. and then someone might suggest their idea of your 'optimum' system. Bear in mind that trade-offs will be inevitable.
Grebo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all that info.

My main use for the GPS system is for in-car navigation. I can see the worth in having custom POIs and live traffic updates but these are not really a priority to me at the moment.

Was I right in assuming that there are not American Maps for TomTom or are these available?

Thanks again

Grebo
Grebo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I have looked at three main GPS systems so far :

Navman
TomTom
Kane

1st two seem to be well used but I can find limited information about Kane, any comments about this make? Also, any other makes I should be considering??

Thanks
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know even less about theKane than I do about Tomtom!

Map accuracy is another important consideration, by the way. I don't know what Geodata Kane uses, but both Tomtom and Navman use TeleAtlas, which in my opinion isn't as good as Navteq, as used by Garmin and, I think, Co-Pilot.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

copilot will do speedcameras as will tomtom which seams to have the edge for creating custom poi at the moment copilot has this option but the process is more involved the maps in copilot are from navtech and it is pretty good as it has traffic and tracking capabitlities

hope this hasnt confused you to much but its really down to personal choice which software you go for but mainly there all pritty good and will get from a to b

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Grebo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help here.

Using this information and doing some more investigation I settled for :

Compaq Ipaq 2210 186.00+vat
TomTom Navigator 3 99.00+vat
TomTom Carkit for 2210 34.82+vat

So all in all, £375 for the PDA and GPS system, over £100 less than I budgeted so I am well happy.

Sure I will have a few more questions soon when I get it and set it up!!!

Grebo
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grebo wrote:
" Hi,

Forgive me as I am new to all this GPS stuff!! "

There is still an item missing to complete your system Exclamation A CF or SD storage card ..personally I use the former and have never had a problem Exclamation So another £30 to £100 depending on quality and size ..I think 256 should be the minimum to consider.. around £33 from Valueflash
dave
Grebo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a Kingston 256 SD card that I used to use in a camera (or was it a smartphone, cannot remember!!). I assume this will be OK or are these systems fussy about the make of SD they use.

Thanks

Grebo
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingston should be fine, but 'suck it and see' and then you'll know for sure.
Wink
Grebo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS now installed and fully operational and I wanted to give some feedback to the group on the setup I bought.

Firstly, the Ipaq 2210. Fantastic little PDA, does everything I need and more.

TomTom3 Navigator - Wow, fantastic!! Don't know how I survived without this, I am a GPS convert. My family and I went on a trip to St Andrews today and then down to Anstruther, all using Tomtom 3. Directions were perfect, and even found me the nearest garage when I was running out of petrol. Before Tomtom 3, my wife would have performed the role of a GPS system, but not too well, causing arguments and usually a fallout and high stress levels before we arrived anywhere. I felt much more relaxed today when we got to our destinations.

Quite often I spend hard earned cash on technology and sometime feel that my purchase was not work the money after a while. The same is not true for this little GPS package, it is worth every penny I spent already and if you are considering buying one then DO IT!

All I need to do now is buy the US maps and I am all ready for our holiday to California next year

Thanks for all the help!!

Graeme
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great to hear! I'm glad you like GPS. Personally I wouldn't be without it now, and I still feel that sometimes when I drive out into town without it I feel a little naked and unprotected.

Having SatNav gives you a bit of a comfort zone, it might not always get you there the direct route, or get you out of a traffic jam, but it will get you from A to B which for most that don't have any map books in-car, or hate reading maps, and don't know the way around the area is a must!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: